Eventual Purchase | FerrariChat

Eventual Purchase

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by UNC Nick, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UNC Nick

UNC Nick Guest

Feb 3, 2004
    Hello all and thanks for the wealth of knowledge on these boards. I'm brand new here and have been lurking for a few days, soaking up the info. I'm 25 and live in Charlotte, NC. Currently drive an '03 E320 Mercedes. Not a Ferrari owner... yet.

I've been infatuated with these cars since I was a kid and am bound and determined to own at least one. I'd love to be in a 360, but there's too much to pay for right now- getting married in a few months, just bought a house, etc. If disposable income allows, I'd like to pick up a "weekender" sometime in the not-too-distant future. Cost is my limiting factor, as least for today, and I've noticed quite a spread in the cars that I am looking at for my initial purchase- 308's, 328's. I'm looking for something that doesn't require a lot of work and I've been steered towards the 328's.

So, all that being said, I'm looking for some advice to consider while researching my purchase. I don't want to spend north of $40k, and would love it if I could stay in the mid-to-upper $20's (can a 308 or 328 be had for that?). If you were in my situation, what would you be looking for (model, year) and why? Any suggestions on where 'deals' may be found?

Thanks in advance for everyones consideration. I'm looking forward to contributing here some day.

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hello & Welcome!

You can find a nice 308 in the price range your looking at, but a 328 will cost a bit more. $40k can get you a decent (not concours or anything) one, but plan on having some extra $ set aside for repairs/maintenance.

In any event, hope you find a car soon & enjoy your stay!

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Mid to upper 20's will get you nice Mondial QV ('83-'85). Probably a 308 too. I would avoid a 328 that is going for less than 40. Would likely need lots of work. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I know of a clean, driven 1983-4 308 GTSi black/black in CA for $32k....

PM me if interested.

Byron

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Nick, I am selling this beauty so that I can "step up" to the 348. High 20's might just do it. Cam belts replaced in Jan. 01 (have photos and receipts), 30K miles, almost new tires, great running car all the way around. Original and unmolested - unlike most 22 year old F-cars out there. Email me at [email protected] if interested. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH. YOU'LL LOVE ANY FERRARI YOU BUY IF IT HAS BEEN CARED FOR! You can see my car here:

http://www.ferrariads.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=872&query=retrieval

6. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I'm not quite in your boat yet (only 23 and still making my way towards the $ for ownership), but from my limited vantage point, here's my advice.

First, check out the magazine "Forza" if you haven't already - many past issues have Buyers Guides for the cars in your price range:
    Mondial (Issue 19 - Oct 99 and Issue 41 - Nov 02)
    308 (Issue 25 - Oct 00)
    308 GT4 (Can't find which issue, but I know there was one)
    348, if you decide to up your budget a bit (Issue 30 - Jun 01)

Don't forget to include maintenance costs in your estimate.

Good luck, welcome to the site!

7. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    An excellent 1986 328 would be in the neighborhood of $40K plus. For under $40k (unless you know and trust the owner), a decent 328 although with some issues.

Mid to upper $20K may get you a good Mondial, 308, and 308GT4.
    The asking price of a 308QV seem to be in the mid $30's.

The aforementioned numbers I quoted are "ballparks," okay?

Good luck.