Grand Prix Legends | FerrariChat

Grand Prix Legends

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gilles27, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    OK, everything's a go! Here's the deal for anyone interested in getting GPL running on Windows XP: There are about five patches you need, but fortunately an enthusiast site has packaged them into one quick, easy download. After you load the game, go to this site www.magnust.d2g.com. In the upper left you will see a choice for an all-in-one Papyrus patch. Download it into your main GPL file. Then, go into the file and open it, and the game should then be ready to go. For what it's worth, one of the proplems I experienced when loading the game was a warning about an incompatible ActiveMovie file. After the patch, it turned out to be a non-issue. I hope this works for everyone. Now, time to download all the upgrades and goodies...

2. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Another GPL'er! Do you race on-line?

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jack, your post made me wonder whether I have to look into GPL again. I think there is now a Momo (?) wheel for the PC, that also has a shifter built into/next to it. Probably was designed for the Nascar folks but anyway. Maybe I should give that a look for a winter project with my sim.

4. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    tifosi12: I recently bought this one and can tell you, it's very nice! Very well made, solid, awesome F1-style paddle shifters. It's well worth the $.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have a Logitech force feedback wheel and it is great. Much sturdier than the Gulliomont one I had before (junk!).

You can even configure GPL to use the force feedback ... thus helps with feeling understeer. It is not a huge amount of feedback but it is an improvement.

Pete

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Santini,

your wheel is probably what I recently saw. Looks very nice and with the stick shift would work great for GPL and the paddles for F1 as well. Glad to hear from you, that it works great as well.

PSK,
    I had one of the Guillemont (sp?) wheels as well. Very cute, but didn't last long, piece of crap.

My only problem with GPL is, that Jack will drive circles around me. Oh well.

7. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Prior to getting the MOMO I also had the Guillemont "NASCAR Pro Digital 2" wheel. Worked great for a couple months but then things started breaking on it. It looks cool but doesn't hold up very well. Guillemont's customer service sucks too. The MOMO is a much better wheel.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Hey boys. Haven't had much time recently for chatting, but that should change. I've got the MOMO wheel also. I like it, and can't find any flaws after about a year of mild use. I do like the option of paddles or shifter. Just don't be tempted to use the paddles for GPL--that's cheatin'!

BTW, Andreas, I finally got the avatar up. You like?

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sounds like I should get that Momo wheel as well and try to install GPL (last time I did that it screwed up GP3 big time, but that was then).

Definitely GPL should not be played with the paddles. Even that shifter is cheating somewhat: As I understand it, it is a sequential shifter (up/dn). There was a real 5 speed shifter for GPL, which I once bought was never able to get to run nor to mount. So I guess we have to live with a little cheating.

Nice avatar Jack. He looks so forelorn on that one. Sigh. I just went through 5 hours of tapes of his best races. Kinda changed my opinion a bit, that guy could drive. Wow. Somehow I forgot over time.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jack, I guess I'm too late now:

The website you mention has a lot of Fin (?) verbage, but no download I could see.

What gives?

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Jack, will try those.

Like the real teams my F1 sim now enters the phase of redesign and rebuilding. So it is time for a winter project. That Momo wheel looks enticing. However the wheel is not the issue, the pedals are. Have to make sure they're as ergonomically as the ones I have right now.

Anyway, the 04 season will see GP4, FGP3 (the historic version of all F1 seasons) and GPL. So come'on over next year and we'll have a blast.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er Andreas, I think you are taking it a little too seriously. Remember we are cheating BIG time as we are using a simulator, NOT sitting in a petrol bathtub with only a tub frame to stop the armco from punching a hole in our body. Thus we race with NO fear factor :(

I only have the paddles ... so that is what I use!

Peter

14. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    I just began playing GPL a few days ago, my friend has had it since it came out, has ran many 12 hr endurance races and such. I am about 2 to 5 seconds behind his lap times, but getting better. It's a very well made sim! It reminds me of Warbirds (flight sim) but in a racing sim. Physics model is awesome. We should all race online sometime, maybe setup a weekly meeting time. I use winVROC to play online, is that what everyone else uses?

15. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I got the Leather covered Momo.

16. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    I agree we should all race on-line, maybe form an FChat team? 'Course, we'd all be driving Ferraris. :)

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    PSK, missing the fear factor definitely makes a huge difference. True.

Nevertheless I'm trying to simulate as much as possible. And you bet we're taking it pretty darn serious around here: Jack in my sim racing GP4.

18. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Does anyone know where I could get hold of a copy of GPL? I believe it is no longer produced or for sale.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome back Anthony!

Try ebay for GPL.

20. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Once you get your copy be sure to check out this site for practically everything you need for GPL; all the patches, add-on tracks, FAQ, etc.

You should also bookmark the Race Sim Central site as well.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Overwhelming, overwhelming...
    :-(

I mean I haven't even installed the game, just looked at the links Santini provided (thanks btw!).

From GP3 and GP4 I know, that aside from lots of practice time, setups are absolutely crucial to get beyond a certain point. So I would think the same holds true for GPL?

Obviously I'll start out with installing the base game and the patch. Then I'll practice the given tracks. But what next?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is a common ground for tracks: I noticed, there are hundreds of tracks, but which ones are you guys playing besides the ones in the package? And I guess related to that, what setups are you guys using for these tracks?

I realize the links show many setups and tracks etc, but where do you start?

Coming from GP3/4 I could answer that question quite easily as I have a big list of setups and know which one serves what driving style and conditions on what track. Do you GPL pros have the same thing on GPL?

Also if we ever wanted to hook our machines up and race against each other, we should define some common ground trackswise etc.

22. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Wow, lots of add ons and patches, reminds me of Falcon 4.0. lol That's a sweet setup you got there Tifosi! I always wanted to make a cockpit for my flight sims, heh.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Steeda30 it is not too late. Here a pic of my cockpit for some inspiration: The overhead projector shows the outside world on a silver screen (not visible in this pic) and the flat panel monitor shows the cockpit gauges. Two computers are networked to run the two displays. I'm using MS Flightsimulator on it.

24. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Before you start downloading a lot of tracks and other add-ons I'd recommend sticking with the default GPL tracks and practice, practice, practice. Keep driving each of them until you can get some consistent lap times.

When you do start downloading tracks, be sure to get "Isle of Man". It's incredible. The best track created for GPL yet. For setups, I use Gregor Hutuu's, who is considered the world's best GPL driver.

25. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Tifosi,

Awesome! hehe. Is that an actual ACES II ejection seat? looks like it's a little small but can't tell from the angle. Good setup, I like the screen in the center that shows all the instrument displays.

I need to buy one of those F-16 pits as I am a hardcore Falcon 4 jock :) Probably have 2000 hrs in that thing, lol. I don't really need to have one but I think it'd be cool. I'd have to hide it when I had friends over though, hehe.