V1 question - what does it mean? | FerrariChat

V1 question - what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ty (360mode), Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    when the bogey counter shows three horizontal lines, strength 'red-lines', 'L' lights up and it makes this 2 toned, alternating siren-like noise? (sorry for the crappy description, hopefully it is comprehendable)

anyone still have their manual or know? i thought it had something to do with an emergency vehicle but it did it again going into my parking garage today.

TIA.

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    It means it is picking up laser. Mine does this as well with some of the newest door sensors.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    some newer car lights (taillights?) will set off the laser sensor as well.

subaru? cadillac? i haven't quite figured it out.

doody.

4. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    thanks. strange how i'll be driving down the same street every day for work and it will pick it up maybe 5% of the time. wonder where the laser is coming from, esp through a residential neighborhood? appreciate the info...

5. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    ahhh, that may explain it. i'll pay closer attention when it goes off again...

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Doody, the laser warning is set off by cars that have LED brake lights. The 745/760 and the 04 S-class come to mind.

7. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Red neon signs will also set off the laser warning.

Lately, my V1 has been laser warning more than it ever has. I e-mailed Valentine and they said as above Chevy Truck (Tahoe) tail lights and red neon.

Without sending my V1 in for service, my take of their e-mail is all is normal and the environments has changed.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    And to make matters worse, some of the new cars are now touting a "laser assisted" cruise control. These new systems use laser to define the distance to car in front of them and will automatically slow down accordingly for safety.

i.e. new Lexus LS

http://www.lexus.com/models/ls/specifications.html#disc8

see NUMBER 8

In the end it may be best to NOT use a laser detector and INSTEAD use a laser jamming device. Have been keeping a close eye on all this BTW for quite some time. WISH i could use a military grade anti-radar/laser tracking device.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    most notorius for setting off laser is the GMC Envy and Chevy Trailblazer.

10. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    left for lunch today and i parked next to the guy i followed into the garage this am... chevy tahoe.

from what you all have said, this could get annoying.

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Chevy cars seem to do it to me. THe caddys, benzes, etc. do not cause issues. For those of you in the bay area, the large video sign by 101 near Redwood Shores (Oracle area) sets it off for sure.

I have v1.7, so take that for what it's worth.

--Dan

12. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Dan,

You just answered what has been puzzling me for years!

My V-1 reboots everytime I pass that jumbo screen. I think its time for an upgrade.

-n

13. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Hate to break it to you guys hard, but I have v1.8 and it doesn't change much. While I have never had any really bad problems with tail lights, some signs and things like that do set it off. So long as you play it smart it will not interfere with your being able to use the detector.

Currently I am considering getting the Lidatek system installed in my car so it's a bit more bulletproof.

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Noel: I'm not sure the new one will be any different.

--Dan

15. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Could the rear parking sensor things set them off as well as the tail lights? Two days ago I was behind an SUV of some sort for about 20 minutes in traffic. The Laser warning went off a few times. I remember the vehicle having the parking sensors but not LED tail lights. FWIW my detector is a Passport 8500. The V1 and Lidatek Jammers will be coming soon.

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I do remember a page on V1's site in how to program the V1, but it isn't a link on the site, but it still exists. Perhaps you can turn off laser and get a laser system independent of the V1. afterall, once you get hit by laser, you are pretty much dead in the water.

almost had that happen last night. laser went off twice and I'm looking around for the trailblazer/envoy and couldn't see the motorcycle cop hiding in front of the bushes on 183 (3 lane highway). this was at night, but luckily I wasn't doing anything spirited or stupid.

17. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  18. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    I have to agree with Tyler's assessment. I only seem to have the problem when I am in close proximity to a Trailblazer/Tahoe with their brake lights on. Taillights alone do not seem to have the same effect.

TWS

19. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    ..just slightly off topic.

It turned out that you can get a discounted V-1 from the factory. Just ask for the "lunch special." These were refurbished V-1's, less than 30 days old, repacked to look good as new for $359 (10% off retail price).

...a better deal than the ebay special.