Just "bought" a F355 GTS | FerrariChat

Just "bought" a F355 GTS

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by k wright, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    As above, I won the bid for the following car on Ebay. At the end of the auction the seller called me to let me know that the car had not passed EPA & NHTSA certification. He reported buying the car in FL from a Turkish man that has since returned home. In addition I recieved email that is likely from a member of this board that informed me that the car was not legal (thank you very much).

I was really looking forward to my first Ferrari, I still want this car or one like it. Called a couple of independent importers and they estimate 15-20k to get the car compliant and re-imported and five months of waiting.

Carfax reports that the car was initially titled in Stuart, FL @12,426 miles. Since that time it passed emissions inspection in Orange, CA and has been titled in York, PA. There are no reported problems with the car on carfax, however I have to wonder what it went through in Europe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456340586&category=6212&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT

I bought the car for 55K, this price plus certification costs are well below what I can find a similar US car for. In addition the owner has agreed to cut the price, the amount is not firm yet.

I would greatly appreciate advice, look forward to really joining the board with the purchase of a car.

2. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Run away AFAP. Sounds like a HPINA.

3. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Run away AFAP. Sounds like a HPITA

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I would listen to your gut and back out of the purchase... something doesn't seem to add up with this one...

However, if you want a clean GTS, check here:
    http://www.miamioffices4rent.com/cavallino/invent/1_16_rosso.htm

(car may be found on this site: www.4ferrari.com)

I've seen this car in person and know the seller(s) personally. It is a VERY clean car. This price for a 1998 car is VERY fair!!

Byron

5. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    How do I say this gently...

Some purchases made from sellers that are from certain parts of the world are made with the assumption that it is your job to figure out every half-truth and un-stated problem, and read through vague descriptions.

That is why he wants you to call. No paper trail, and easy to say "that's not what I told you!".

At best...you get a Euro car for $55k plus $15K to do the work. If you are sooooooo lucky. Then it has problems. Add $10K easy. Look at the Ferrari sticker they put on the hood? What kind of dip**** does that?

You go to sell it. Wrecked, euro, and who knows what else. You will take a hit.

If you are on a budget...don't look for trouble.

I have been there.

6. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    This is turning out to be a dodgy transaction. Get out.

Exotic cars do get stolen from Europe and you never know if this is one of them. Why take chances.

7. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Thanks for the fast replies. I have considered the car listed above but really want the red corsa. The car will probably go back on Ebay with a "little" clarification about its status in the US. That shield on the hood is pretty stupid. I feel sorry for the current owner, he was honest with me and is taking a pretty big hit with this car. He paid 71K for it two years ago when the previous owner promised to send him the certification.

Please keep the suggestions coming for other cars. Again thanks for your help.

ken

8. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    # I feel sorry for the current owner, he was honest with me and is taking a pretty big hit with this car. He paid 71K for it two years ago when the previous owner promised to send him the certification.~

ken[/QUOTE]

Ken,

Not your fault this guy made a mistake when he bought the car, Run now while you can and don't look back !

Steve

9. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob

Nope, this one is gone. I bought it before leaving Cavallino. :)

Rob

10. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    I guess I'm missing something here....Why would you care what this car went through in Europe or anyplace else??? Why do you assume the car was "trashed" in Europe??? It could have been driven just as hard here in the States.....After all this car was titled and registered at least TWICE before in the States according to Carfax...

I'm not saying that you should buy this car, all I'm trying to say is have a good look at it, drive it, have a PPI done and if the previous owner has records/receipts of the 30K service it should be a solid car...Heck for $55K (or even less if the seller is willing to drop the price further) you have some spare $$ change to fix a few things that might need attention.

As far as registering a Euro car in the US, I can tell you from my own experience, I have had 2 (two) Euro Porsche 911 Carreras titled, registered and insured with no EPA/DOT papers...These Euro cars were purchased used from individuals so they had been titled/registered before...I enjoyed driving them for a few years and I sold them at slightly HIGHER price that what I paid for them...Both cars were very strong runners with no signs of abuse or mechanical issues...I don't know about Euro Ferraris but the Euro 911 Carreras were desireable at the time because of their higher output engines.

Now you've said that this F355 has passed emissions and was titled/ registered in FL and PA....Why can you do the same thing in your state?? Or maybe you can call the EPA/DOT offices and request a copy of the paperwork, if the previous owner has lost them?? It's possible that such paperwork exists from when the car was imported in the US....Just because the last owner doesn't have the EPA/DOT papers, it doesn't mean such papers have never existed...Obviously this particular car has had a few owners already.

My suggestion is to do your homework and take a closer look at this car, if you really like it and the seller seems honest with you...Have a PPI done which will tell you the running condition of the car and if any problems exist. Also find out if the DOT/EPA conversion was ever done.

Best of luck - VK

11. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi,
    I agree with the other comments look for another car. You'll have to pay more, but in the long run it will be worth it. If the seller kind of forgot information on ebay, which is kind of like "bait and switch" what is the seller not revealing? Bag it, hold on to your cash and find another car.
    Good luck,
    Jim

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I just saw this thread. I assume you didn't go through with the sale, as the car was recently relisted on eBay. I forgot to save the link, and now the auction has ended. Anybody know what the ending price was the second time around?

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i cant think of worse advise to give to a person....i have some oil fields in the florida swamps i can sell you real cheap!!!

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I've seen this actual car in person before. It was in the showroom of an independant foreign repair and sales shop in Southeastern PA. The sticker on the hood gave it away. It seemed a little rough at the time and looked like it might have had a sub-par paintjob. Also, it has the early Euro non-airbag steering wheel (which I happen to like). I don't know what to tell you as far as a purchase. It seems a little shaky to me.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Quickly!

17. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Just a little advice...
    No matter how badly you get Ferrari fever and have to have one
    Never buy a Ferrari sight unseen without a PPI.

18. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I was looking at this car when it was on e-bay and I could not remember seeing a car that I was more afraid of. Plus, I e-mailed the seller and he never responded.

19. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Jerry---Actually, I too was interested in the car, wrote to the seller did reply to my email and called me back.

His name was Tie (sp?) something and I thought he was very honest by letting me know right away that the car still needs conversion and under no circumstances it WILL pass DMV's inspection.

I am empathetic to the buyer and perhaps, the lesson learned here is "if it's too good to be true then it probably is....and always do your homework". I also wonder how many other people bidded on this car without even calling to learn more about the vehicle.

20. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Actually, his passing emissions here in this part of Florida would have been a snap. There AREN'T ANY!

How do I know about Stuart, Fl?

I live 7 miles North of it. Interesting though, that it was titled here.

21. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    "The car MAY have had some body work"
    "It runs straight at 90mph"

Doesnt sound too good to me.

22. F355 GTS EURO

F355 GTS EURO Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    Anybody know what happened to this car? I contacted the seller and he said that he sold it to another dealer in Maryland but would not give out the name. Any ideas?

23. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    No, but if anyone knows I would like the info. I asked that he inform the dealer that he sold the car to that I am interested. I'm likely going to just buy a car with a clean history at a higher price. I had no idea what I was doing when I bid on that car.

ken

24. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Sorry folks, I've got to agree here. I've been a member of F-chat for several years, and for The Ferrari List for longer than that. I don't post frequently.
    The comment above is spot on. We do our homework, and pay our money, in that order.
    Over five years ago, I bought my FIRST Ferrari, a 308 QV EURO. It was a beautiful car, not only when I bought it, but for the duration of my ownership. It had many "issues". It has title problems, BIG TIME. It had no copies of the DOT/EPA papers. It hadn't been driven regualerly, the owner was difficult to get in touch with, the list went on and on. I was advised to "run don't walk" by many gutless wonders as we've seen here.
    I simply tackled one issue at a time, with no committment to buy the car. It did take about 6 months to sort everything out, but once it was all done, I had a GREAT 308!! Feel free to ask anyone on this board their honest opinion of the car! Many have seen it and I actually sold it to another F-Chatter, (he seems pleased). I'd buy it back too!
    SO, don't be so quick to turn and run. Be cautious, and diligent. Do the legwork. You may end up with a great car at a great price!

25. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    HELLO, the description of the car reads, "Very clean, car has some repaint, but not noticeable without paint tester. Might have had some light body work, but CARFAX does not show anything. Nor does frame show any repair. Vehicle runs straight, does not pull to any side. You can run it on open highway at 90mph and rides straight."

Doesn't that say anything?? My Nissan runs straight at 90!! MY F- runs straight at 130.