Can I wax less frequently? | FerrariChat

Can I wax less frequently?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DBR328&330, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    I like to keep my car concours clean at all times, but I honestly dont like the process of keeping it so. I would never let anyone else do it because if I am patient, I do a noticably better job.

I drive about 3000-4000 miles per year only in fair weather. I spot clean it every week I drive it, and do a full hose-out wash 1-2 times per year. It is kept in its own single car garage space and the door doesnt open except when i take it out. The garage windows have shades. I wax it twice per year with Griot's BOS wax. The car when wet always beads beautifully- about the size of a shirt button.

Since the car just basically sits there with nothing to "violate" the wax job, can I just wax once per year? What would be the basis for doing it any more frequently? Does it evaporate or break down?

Thanks,

Dan

2. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Try Zaino it lasts a very long time.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There are three reasons to wax a car: A) protection B) shine C) lack of shine. With the regimine you car is under, you might be able to get away with once a year.

There is an easy test, wax has a high surface tension--this makes water bead--so, next time you wash your car, see if the rinse water takes a good bead (e.g. close to 90 degree edge where the edge of the water meats the surface of the paint). As long as the water beads, there is enough wax to protect the paint. This covers the protection aspect.

As long as the water beads, and the shin is acceptable, you can avoid waxing. For me, this is the delima. With the softer past waxes, I can get the shine to last for 4-5 washes::with the harder past waxes, the first shine is marvelous, but subsequent washings don't come out as good, however the water beads 7-10 washings. This causes me to wax more often due to the lack of shine.

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    There is no real time table of when to wax. It all varies depending on what conditions the wax sees. From what you described, I think you can get away with waxing it once per year. But just make sure you keep an eye on it, especially in the spring with pollen (it eats through carnauba like crazy). Usually, a daily driver should get about 4 waxes a year, but since yours is a show car I think ince per year is plenty. Then again, you will always have better results after a wax then before. Hope this helps.

5. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I have been very pleased with the Blackfire polymer products - seem to last much longer than all carnuba waxes. My 355 sees only good weather and I re-apply the Blackfire just because I am a fanatic.

my $.02

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Waxing too often can hurt the paint in the long run. At least once a year you should do a complete wash to get all the impurities out. But waxing I've read should be done around 3-4 times a year at most.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Depends if your partner does mind that spiky leg feeling ... ;)

Pete

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    finally. PSK says what we're all thinking anyway!

Waxing has as much to do with owner therapy and inspection time, as it does with actually shining the car.

Hire a Brazilian to do your waxing for you. They're very thorough.........

9. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm with Code Red - Zaino is an excellent product and you'll polish less and drive more !

Steve