Looking for a good RC car. | FerrariChat

Looking for a good RC car.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ekasilicon, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I had a few RC cars growing up, and they were a lot of fun. I recently started to look into them again, and found some pretty interesting ones. I found a 360 that can get up to 70 mph, but I'm thinking that I would just buy it with a motor that could get up to 25 mph.

Does anyone have any experience with these? What are good brands? I would not race it, it would be just for my entertainment.

MJG

2. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    www.HPIracing.com

Really good RCs. Here's mine (sorry about the crappy website, its old)

http://www.poorboytuners.stangnet.com/MyGasPoweredRC.htm

Their forums are good too. I love mine hardly get to drive it now though. Let me know if you want to go race your new one soon. Oh and make you paint your own, it is a pretty good bonding experience with the RC and why you spent the money on it. And it's yours, original.

Have fun Good luck.

Oh and the RTR kits are the best. (Ready To Run)

3. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I bought my Nitro R/C from www.towerhobbies.com . They carry just about anything R/C you can think of. You can't go wrong with any of the kits out there now. TRAXXAS, Tamiya, HPI,etc. Many are now sold in RTR (ready to run) kits where you pop in batteries/nitro and go play. Just remember that it's best to spend a little more up front instead of going for a cheaper model and then buying all the cool addons later.

Dave

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    MJ.....Its a great hobby! Glad to see you are getting into it. Check out www.horizonhobby.com. They have a great line of on-line buys (They are the largest distributor of my company's crystal products, see www.performancedevices.com..You will need extra crystals!).

Start with a decent gas or electric and you will have a blast! Learn to drive well and enter races.

Pete

5. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I just got a Team Losi electric stadium truck - the Matt Francis edition - and ran it a lot before the snow set in. It was pretty easy to put togehter, came will all the "upgrades" you could want, and was pretty reasonably priced. It's a blast!! I too had been away from the RC hobby scene for 10 years - now I don't know why I left. Take a trip up to the local hobby store and talk to the person there that know the most about them. You won't believe what changed......

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Look at the Tamiya 1/10 scale Enzo on the TT-01 or TB-01 chassis, or the Kyosho Mini Z Enzo. The Kyosho also has an F40 or a 360, and they're ready to run out of the box. But they are small.

7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I saw the Kyosho cars yesterday at the Nurenberg toy fair (Largest hobby and craft show in the world) in germany. I met with the president and GM of Kyosho over a cocktail in regard to our new contract for my company's RC crystal line. their RC car line is incredible! I will be seeing them again in Japan in May. I am hopeful to pick up a few cars direct from them. Extremely nice!

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If you have some extra room in your suitcase, get me a red Mini Z Enzo! :D

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I used to race RC cars, about 8 years ago, before the tracks closed down.

The electric 1/10 scale cars could do 70 MPH on a 150 ft oval track, and 90 MPH on the parking lot track. The gas cars would do 100+ on the parking lot track. The parkinglot track had a world-wide professional race once with all the name drivers you see in the magazines. These guys could do things with cars that were just unbelievable; like figuring out the car was consuming fuel faster thatn anticipated and doing a pit stop before it ran out of gas (tank leak) based on the handling of the car! Or things like swerving to miss a car that just bounced off the guard rail and then mission that same guard rail at near 100 MPH in a tiny fraction of a second. Truely impressive.

The basic stock motor ($25) could pull 65 MPH while a top end modified motor (%85) would do 70 MPH. The difference was acceleration and load on the battery. Unless you are racing, just stick with the inexpensive stock motors.

10. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Have been enjoying the MiniZ for some time now. They are amazingly fun!!! The PLUS side is you DO NOT need a HUGE track space for them. And don't get me going about the VAST $$$ in tweaks, carbon fiber bits, etc. If you want a small, FUN, and "damn fast for it's size", the MiniZ should not disappoint IMHO. PLUS they are pretty darn inexpensive (relatively speaking). They really did a GREAT job on them.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin