TR exhaust, Tubi or??? | FerrariChat

TR exhaust, Tubi or???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jkee, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jkee

Jkee Rookie

Oct 24, 2003
    Gentlemen, I'm considering a new exhaust system for my 1990 TR. What has been your experience, performance and cost wise?

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    open pipes!! :)

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Auraraptor...do you mean pipes straight off the headers or pipes out of the precats/cats? When putting my TR back together I decided to see just what it would sound like with open headers...it was very loud although you could tell the engine loved it by how quickly it rev'd. I then bolted up the precats and cats but no muffler, mine are hollowed out, and it was still very loud but a bit deeper in tone. I love a loud car but it was too much even for me. Did you, or someone you know, run with just straight pipes on a Testarossa on the street? I have considered it...but as many know Bill Badurski made his own exhaust with "corvette resonators" as the exhaust tips and I guess it sounded pretty mean. So his was a "very nearly" straight pipe system. I have never heard what it sounds like in person but would love to. And it was very inexpensive compared to the usual aftermarket systems, lighter weight, and I would imagine sounded as good if not better. I am working on my own stainless system, 4 small bullit mufflers attached to the headers and then simply polished stainless pipe out the back and cut to match the factory tips. Just in the planning state right now. I will post more info. as it develops.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    carguy, I heard it once on a TR....the scream of that engine as it roared by made the hair on my neck stand up. Only thing that compared to that was the sound of the P4 in a video I saw.

Yes basicly the best way to do such is to elimiate the pre-cats, then w/ straight pipes added and a few pipes, make it straight out the back. Some type of muffer prob. is best as not only would it quiet it down a bit (as you know, its LOUD) it would keep some back-pressure so that doesnt damage the engine (since there is almost no backpressure otherwise).

Will could tell you more. I think he has straight pipes on his TR race project.

I guess, it depends how much you drive your car...and if the local authories mind too much. :)

5. HGParts

HGParts Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Heiko from HGParts
  6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    i have a tubi on my road 512TR, open pipes on my 512TR racer. Sounds similair, just the volume is much higher, its too loud to be around for a long time without earplugs :)

7. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    Just get the Tubi. There's been a lot of talk about building your own system, the merits of using Corvette resonators and all that stuff. Unless you have a real desire to build things yourself, get the Tubi. I've got one on my TR and it is quiet enough not to attract the wrong kind of attention when you need it to, yet will hurt your ears in a tunnel when the revs are over 4K. The polished stainless looks great out the back grillwork, too.

8. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Jkee -

I put a Tubi on my TR and was initially disappointed in the minimal increase in the sound. I was not really looking for a performance gain, rather, I wanted to really hear the 12 cylinders scream. With the four cats on the car - the Tubi only made a small difference. I then removed two of the cats. I'm not sure whether they were the pre-cats or the main cats as the shop that worked on my car removed them for me. Anyway, the difference was astounding. The car transformed intself into a F1 screamer!! It was as if the Tubi was not activated until there was more exhaust flow or something. I never regretted the move and sold the car to someone who also thought it was the most incredible sound he had ever heard!! You will NOT be disappointed if you buy the Tubi and then experiment with removing two of the cats and replacing them with test pipes. Good luck!

Jeffrey

9. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    On my TR, I did what Jeffrey did including the Tubi. Great sound, loved it. Plus the stainless steel looks good from the back view of the car through the grates.

10. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I did the same on my 88 TR and it made a huge difference when the cats were off. It made the car sound like an Indy car.

11. riconijhof

riconijhof Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rico Nijhof