fuchs exhaust on the 360 | FerrariChat

fuchs exhaust on the 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by alain, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alain

alain Rookie

Feb 4, 2004
    i have the fuchs installed on my spider and i am experiencing excessive backfire. I live at 8500 feet and especially when coming down a mountain road the backfire is annoying. what can be done if anything?
    does anyone else have the same problem.
    The car has also become very loud, almost too loud for my liking. Living in aspen,co, a small town, it is not always cool. My friends hear all the way accross town!!!!

alain

2. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Alain; Give Dave Helms a call at 303-449-9112. His shop is in Boulder.
    He's got my 360. Let me know and we can meet. Ciao!

3. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    sounds like i need to swap out my tubi for the fuchs :)

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Guys... sounds like you two need to trade!!

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not a 100% certain, because I haven't heard the various exhausts side by side, but so far the Fuchs is the best sounding exhaust I've heard on a 360.

Backfire usually means running rich.

6. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    is there a sponsor who sells the fuchs?

7. udalmia

udalmia Guest

heiko from hgparts sells the fuchs, though i would recommend the capristo

8. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    My 2001 Spider had Tubi and back fired as I went down my hill. I had 6 speed and when I took it out of gear or depressed the clutch the backfiring would stop.

It is true that all these aftermarket exhaust get loud especially on a Spider.

9. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    If he is at 8500 feet, then the engine is getting less oxygen, so it would be running rich. I suspect the fuchs exhaust exacerbates this because of the reduced heat in the heads and ESPECIALLy if you dropped your converters. (heat can get out more easily through a freer flowing exhaust)

10. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

Oh man...nothing beats the look on drivers faces when they see the flames coming out of the exhaust of any high performace car at night :)

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    root cause is that fuel gets into exhaust and ignites (because air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber has not ignited / been burned completely) – noisy and not good for cats

- the Fuchs does not have the same volume / capacity to absorb pressure waves – you might hear this more as a popping noise - nothing you can do

- you might have a leak in the exhaust (upstream) that lets air in causing combustion once unburned gas gets into the exhaust (typically if you lift of the gas) - caused at installation time of the Fuchs?

- your engine might have a misfire problem (should show OBD II error code and you would see check-engine light blinking maybe slow down light too)

12. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Uh, I was told Fuchs = Tubi?

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    However, if the oxygen sensor is working, the ECU will lean out the mixture.

There is backfire (bang-----bang) and there is backfire (pop-----pop).

The bang--bang is caused by a rich condition where the rich mixture interacts with the hot header and ignites the unburnt exhaust misture.

The pop--pop is caused by a lean mixture where the mixture does not burn fully in the cylinder. This kind is exasterbated by the removal of the Cats, which allow oxygen from the outside to travel up into the headers and ignite the unburnt mixture. If you listen to an F1 engine under braking you can hear the pop-pop-pop of the lean condition.

14. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Nope.. I think it's Fuchs = Cargraphic.

-R

15. alain

alain Rookie

Feb 4, 2004
    my back fire is more of a pop-pop than bang-bang. at the time that i purchased it from the u.s importer , it was explained that the german version was not as loud in order to pass the strict TUV regulations in Germany. It however a very very nice sounding exhaust. Just a little less noise for a small town would be better.

alain

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Norman: do you get such noises?

--Dan