What are the "essential" upgrades on the early 348's? | FerrariChat

What are the "essential" upgrades on the early 348's?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Husker, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am formulating a check-list for when I look at prospective 348's. I have heard about issues with the early cars and that you want these corrected - ECU's, etc. Can someone give me a general list of what the issues on the early 348's were so that I can ascertain whether they have been "sorted" on a particular car? Thanks!

2. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Trade it in for a F355 :p

3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    348s are great cars. Don't listen to people who put them down. 355s are nice too but don't think they don't have their issues. (cracked headers) There is a thread on that now.

The main things to look for in a 348 are:

Single Disc Clutch
    2.7 Bosch Motronic
    Nippon Denso Alternator
    Some may have the 355 slave cylinder for the clutch but I wouldn't go looking for a car with it as many don't have this.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    rofl!!!!

But for me in terms of asthetics, I like the look of the aluminum knob and pedals.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    A local mechanic in the NW was asked about when Ferrari fixed the 348 and he said "when they came out with the 355"...:) (true story)

All kidding a side, the 348 is a great bargain, but one must be careful in selection, just like any other Ferrari. You may find this helpful: http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/348versions.html