My Endless Quest for HW 288GTO | FerrariChat

My Endless Quest for HW 288GTO

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by JOEV, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
  2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow that is high! I guess I'm lucky I have one already. Yes now that you mention it they might be hard to find as I haven't seen another one either. I think I bought 6 fcars at one time from someone who's on ebay often. If I remember right the average price for each was like $22.00. I'll see if I can find more info. as I'm sure they would have a GTO.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I have a 288 GTO 1/18 in bits and pieces. Needed some spare parts for my conversion from tan interior to black/red (see old FChat forum). Happy to give that away to somebody who needs it.

Anyway, if you can't find it on ebay, go to www.ebay.de, the German version. Especially 1/18 Ferrari models they have there for little money (I recently bought a 1/18 Challenge car just because I needed the seat for another project). The only issue might be inflated shipping costs. But GTO are really easy to find.

4. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Scott, Andreas and carguy - maybe there is hope after all.

I've sent out e-mails to several places to see if they in fact have it in stock - hopefully by tomorrow I'll have one on the way. Thanks again.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Methinks you could be jacking up the price when you do that.

Typical exchange (Results may vary):

I want a 288GTO!

Yeah, we've got one. *snicker*

How much?

mua-mua How much you got? mua mua mua-hahahahaha

6. rr1973

rr1973 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    DieCast Collector
    Full Name:
    Ramon Ramirez
    I sent a email to the guy selling the 288GT i ebay for $99 and he explained me that he has economics problems and he need money (Andreoni) He received those cars like a payment for a work ....

7. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Did you see the thred about big lots. The EBAY ad says Ferrari 1/18 Hot Wheels are hard to find. I don't think so. I just picked up the 360 spyder,512M,F40,550 Barchetta,333SP,246GTS,456M,575 Plus the Saleen, theViper GTSR and theBMW Z8 all for $$9.99 each. Not the best 1/18s around but for the price who cares.

8. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    Ever since the sale at BL's , there has been a flood of HW Ferraris now on Ebay. But , there are still some that are hard to find ; 250 & 288 GTO, 250 TR & F355s.

9. Dana_McCann

Dana_McCann Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Houston,Texas
    Full Name:
    Dana L. McCann

You can find the 288 GTO on Royalediecast.com for $27.00. Why pay more? When you can pay less. If you are looking for anything else, i am sure that I can find it for you. Just drop me a line..

10. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe

Dana,

I e-mailed Royal, Designs in Motion and GP Minis (the places that Scott listed) and not one of them has responded. I don't get it.

If you can help in my endless quest for a HW 288GTO, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Joe

BTW - Even though I am suspicious of any business (let alone three!) that can't respond to an e-mail within 3-4 business days, I guess I'll try to phone them too. After that, I'm out of options.

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I can't believe that the Hotwheels 1:18 scale Ferrari 288GTO is that rare,and worth that much. I bought one last year from a guy that sells scale models,for $15.00. It was out of box,but brand new. He said that it was the "Display Model" at his store. But,was new and flawless. This was at a Chevy/Vettefest,in Chicago. I've also found some great scale model cars at the regular Chicago Auto Show,and The World of Wheels shows. These car shows ALL have swap meet and/or Vendor areas. I've also found alot of other Ferrari memorabilia at these shows. Posters,signs,steel signs,cars,etc... So,make it a point to check them out. You NEVER know what you'll find! :) Joe V. I am going to Chevy/Vettefest next weekend. The World of Wheels show in January. And,the Chicago Auto Show in February. And there will be another Chevy/Vettefest in March. I will keep a look out for one for you. Sorry...can't part with mine,now that I know how hard that they are to find. But,If I do find one,I'll get it for you at the same price that I get it for,plus shipping. No Mark-ups!

12. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    FWIW,

I just bought a HW 288GTO from my local shopping mall. We have a store there called Excalibur Cutlery and Gifts. The store stocks many differeny brands of 1:18 autos. They had one GTO left (the display model). The box to go with it was mint so I picked it up for $30.

They are also moving out alot of their old inventory so a bunch of them were 10%, 20%, and 30% off. Alas, no F-cars on clearance...

Mike

13. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    I bought a nice 1/18th 288 GTO at Exoticar in Beverly Hills a couple years ago for $30. Don't know if they still have them, but it's worth a try. They have a website as well, I think it's www.exoticar.com.

Best of luck,
    ~C

14. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here's the current situation:

Royale's phone has been disconnected. Design in Motion, GP Minis and Exotic Car no longer have it in stock.

So, unless red81308 or Dana (or anyone) finds one, that's that.

Thanks.

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Joe V. I will DEFINITELY keep an eye out for one for you. In addition to the car shows that I mentioned in previous posts,we have some very extensive Hobby shops around here with Hotwheels Die cast cars. Also,a local Holiday Inn has a model car and die cast car show periodically,almost every month.

16. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks red81308 (and everyone else for the ideas) - I appreciate it.

Joe

17. Dana_McCann

Dana_McCann Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Houston,Texas
    Full Name:
    Dana L. McCann

I think this will help all of us out for some of the more difficult models. I need the 250 GTO and 250 TR to complete my collection of 1/18 Ferraris until mattel releases their new models for 2004. Use the copy, paste method here.

http://www.muscara.com/Toys/hw118.html

18. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dana,

I've never heard of this company - have you used them before? Almost seems too good to be true.

Joe

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    First of all, Chris - Congratulations on your recent marriage. On that day, I didn't even put on my black armband, as per custom when a comrade is getting ball-and-chained, er, married.

You know, I only noticed Exoticar on Little Santa Monica 1 month ago. Were they always at the current location? It was as noticeable as a neon sign in a church when I drove by that evening. Then again, I only drive by that block 4 times a year - tops, as I usually exit Lil' SM before the tooth-rattling begins in Century City.

20. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
  21. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I talked to them - they're out of stock! :)

Thanks anyway.

(This is clearly a conspiracy of some sort)

22. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    ahhh...that's to bad! Hope they put it on their site now... :( Hope you do find it...I'll keep my eyes open for you! :)

23. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great news team! I have just ordered the following Hot Wheels 1:18 Ferraris: 288GTO, F50 (black, hard top) and 355 Challenge (silver) from Muscara in Italy. I expect the shipment in two weeks.

Thanks Dana for letting me know about this store. Thanks to everyone else (red81308, Forza, Scott etc) for the input.

Check out their Ferraris at http://www.muscara.com/Toys/hw118.html (wasn't someone on here looking for a black 512M?).

You'll deal with Piero and he is great. Excellent customer service, really quick responses to e-mails and extremely reasonable shipping.

Can you tell I am happy? Thanks :)

24. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters