Anybody here order a Carrera GT... | FerrariChat

Anybody here order a Carrera GT...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 007, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    If so, are you giving up a Ferrari (or 2 or 3) for it or just adding to the collection?

Same question for the MBZ SLR.

The reason I ask is that I've been wondering if someone who didn't get on the list for an Enzo, and may have had issues with Ferrari (ie. service, support, price vs. performance) would scrap thier F-Cars for a "Supercar" from another manufacturer. It seems also that you could get a Carrera GT for the nearly current "over sticker" amount of a "used" Enzo. I know there are plenty of GT's coming down the pipeline and you could order one without any fuss. Just curious.

2. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I had a friend cancel an order for one after a price change of over $100k and an increase in production from 750 to 1500 cars. I understand that only a little more than half the planned production has been ordered, seems like Porsche has really screwed this one up.

(not to mention the silver intake cowl, it sucks hard) my vote is to bring back the air cooled motor as an optional model, I think die hards would line up.

3. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I know a few people getting Carrera GTs...all adding to their collection.

I know one individual getting the SLR...he only keeps one primary car and he will be getting rid of a Bentley for it.

4. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob

It would not be possible to get this level of performance out of an air cooled engine and still meet emissions requirements. Engine longevity would also be an issue. Porsche has actually ben using water cooled engines for a long time in their race cars, long before the Boxster and 996. Air cooled engines are fun and nostolgic (I have an air cooled 911 myself), but not the most efficient performers.

This is the first time I have heard about a price increase on the car. From day one, Porsche has been touting a figure in the neighborhood of $450 MSRP. Are you saying this changed or are you referring to a dealer mark-up?

5. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Mine is currently in paint according to PCNA. While I agree that if one orders this car as an investment you're likely to be disappointed, I'm getting mine because it is an awesome vehicle and there were no "preference" issues as with the Enzo. It will be an addition to the stable, with the possible exception that I might sell my SL55 to make room in the garage. Price has been firm for sometime at $440k plus destination.

6. theboogers

theboogers Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    maryland
    Full Name:
    steve hannon
    labcars, let me know about your sl55 if it is getting sold. thanks

7. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Initially Porsche indicated the price would be $350,000. I believe they were taking deposits even though production was not authorized. Once authorized the price tag jumped $100,000 and production was doubled.

It is a fabulous car but burdened with some serious baggage. The frame and composition of the body will require in the event of damage that the car be shipped to Germany for repair. The same goes for engine repair. The clutch by all accounts is unmanageable causing everyone who was allowed to test drive the car to stall several times. No buyer has been allowed to test drive the car.

All test have been on an abandoned airfield. When allowed to drive on public streets writers commented on the bottoming out and scrapping of the vehicle. A little over 1000 of the planned 1500 have been sold.

That said, the engine scream is intoxicating. Unfortunately I am not sure where one will be able to revv it high enough other than in their garage.

8. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob

By all accounts the clutch is unmanageable? Not according to the write-ups in Excellence. It simply has a learning curve. Big deal.

Jerry Seinfeld, a buyer, has driven the car.

Not all test drives were done on the airfield you mentioned. Before the airfield tests were done, a group of automotive writers were given test drives on the street. One car was wrecked in the process, thus the move to the airfield.

9. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    This guy's synopsis seems to match with what I heard, $100k more out thin and air and throw another 750 cars on to the fire, other than that just as promissed.

Get set for an immediate $150,000 loss in value as it rolls of the showroom floor.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If you can't learn to drive a car with a small clutch and light flywheel you can always have your Butler follow you in a SUV and give you a push start.

11. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    :) Or trade it on a Lambo???:p

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Jim.....

Gotta love it......your butler comment....heh.

13. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    That's the best one in a while

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well said Jim ;)

I had another look at an article yesterday regarding this car and it is a very serious piece of kit, and one thing you can guaranty, being a Porsche, is it will hold together many, many times better than the Enzo, plus it will do exactly what Porsche stated the performance figures will be.

It should be a serious competitor ... and once a few start filtering to private owners I think the demand will increase.

Pete

15. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    My friend has one on order but he's keeping his 360 Spyder and selling his 996 GT2.

16. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Will do. It's an '04 Obsidian black metallic, Berry red interior, +/-600 miles. I'll let you know, thanks.

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You misspelled "Maid"

18. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I know of two guys who are waiting for delivery- both adding to their collections...

19. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    I do not understand why you are saying the Enzo does not perform as advertised... the performance numbers on the Enzo has been stellar!! Nothing today (including the GT) is quicker!! Regarding holding up together I cannot comment because I have not heard anything about its reliability todate.

I was looking at the Carrara GT myself, but when Porsche decided they will produce 1500 cars to meet demand (what ever that means??) I did not want to risk losing big in the two or three years of ownership. Although, I think the GT is a wonderful sports car!!

I believe that producing 1500 of these cars (like the SLR) that there will be to many cars for too few people at that price point :(

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wax! LMAO!!!

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think Vernon Hill was getting one, I haven't seen him on the board in a couple weeks. Wonder when he's supposed to get his.

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wax
    My friend Neil did sing:"Every man needs a maid" but my other friend The Countessa, pointed out "a Butler as well."
    :)

23. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

I agree with the above...1500 cars is just too many!!:(

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh come on loungedog everybody knows that the best built performance car is a Porsche ... thus I assume the GT is built to the same standard.

Also most of us have read the article about a questionably sane person trying to drive an Enzo through NY in peak hour and things falling off it.

As for performance figures, er, maybe the Italians have stopped lying, but maybe they haven't (read the CS dyno thread, as it sounds like that car is a few HP short of what was told to the press ... Note: I have not kept up with that thread lately so they may have found the missing hp by now) ...

In the end don't take my comment too seriously BUT if I was going to chose either to race and actually use ... it would be the Porsche because the saying: 'If you want to win you buy a Porsche' is still very valid.

Pete

25. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Pete, I am not saying that Porsche does not make a well engineered car and I agree that the GT would probabily be build to the same levels as the 996. I presently own a 996tt that is modified to Evo's stage level 4, which is about 515 HP and 525 lb of torque (at the wheels). The car is a rocket and feels like the mods that were done do not affect it in any way. I have had the mods on the car for 2 years and 20,000 kms. I track the car about 10 to 12 times a year as well.

The article about things falling off the Enzo is just one persons experience with the car on that day. I also personally know two Enzo owners who have not had any issues with their cars todate. They both own many other cars and in comparison they feel that the Enzo is a well built car for what it is, a limited production sports car. But, it is not to say that both the Enzo and the GT would not have teething issues due to them being very limited production cars.

I also have many friends who own 996's and 996tt's. They have had their issues with their cars. I have seen where both brand new 996's and 996tt's motors have failed and they had to be replaced under warranty with less then 5000 miles. Trany's have been know to fail on both cars as well, they pop out of 2nd gear under light loads. With that being said I would still say that Porsche makes a very well engineered car :)

I only issue with the GT that I have is that they are making too many of them, 1500 cars at $440,000 is crazy... Now, if they lower the price point to $220,000 or limit the production to 500 cars I would then consider the car for a purchase :)