30K Service Info for 1987 328 | FerrariChat

30K Service Info for 1987 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Chiaro_Slag, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #1 Chiaro_Slag, Feb 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Cool! Thanks for posting!

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Slag where did you get the parts from? Many are cheaper then retail and even cheaper then Sodacom's!

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    All the pricing was what was taken off my invoice. My work was done by Larry at Ferrari Tech in Orange (PM me if you want a phone #). He's a good guy & his prices seem fair. Work was done Oct 2003.

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Also, would it be cheaper to FerrariUK all the needed parts?

6. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick

BTW - for anyone that didn't see my other thread, http://ferrari.threefourfive.com also has a full set of 6 years worth of records on a 328 - skip to the detailed service history and you'll see the full scans of each workshop reciept.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yep, great info there - Prompted me to post this. :)

8. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Great info for those of us looking to own one in the future. And I thought the Benz was expensive to maintain...:(

9. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I can't believe how much you guys pay for labour, I don't anything like that for the 288 or the 328 ?

Steve

10. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I'm sure the guy who did Slag's 30K service does good work but I really do not believe you need to pay that much in labor to get a great 30K.

A bunch of owners in Southern Claifornia use a guy named Eugenio who does the complete 308/328 30K (including labor) for under $2K. And everyone loves this guy's work. Scroll down for prices, etc.
    http://emelbon.tripod.com/eugeniosferrariservice.html

And we have a guy in the Dallas area who's 30K prices are right down there with Eugenio's... this guy works on Daytona's, 365's, 348 Challenge's and knows 308/328's as well as anyone.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~fiatdr/shadetree.html

Neither of these guys cut any corners either, they both do GREAT work for reasonable prices.

11. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    SIX THOUSAND FOR A 30K SERVICE????

That's over 200% what the shop here in Charleston quoted me, and that included all parts and labor. Your mechanic overcharged you BIG TIME unless he did something 'real special' that your spreadsheed isn't reflecting. Hey, if you're happy with the service, that's cool....I would have shopped around alittle first before writing a check for $6,000. Did the guy give you an estimate before getting started?

12. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Looks like the 30K was $4k... he had a new clutch and some other things done as well.

13. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Okay, he paid $4,000 for a major service - what's your point? He suddenly got a great deal here? Are you the mechanic who ran up the bill, or something?

14. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Huh? Check post #10 on this thread, bub.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    No reason to have that tone here on FC. Thanks.

16. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Guys... Rob is right.. this is ridiculous...

Prop's to Slag for taking the time to share his service records with everyone. It's a great reference for newcomers as well as current owners.

By the way, I'm the one Jerry shared it with. He even faxed it to my office and was kind enough to call me on the phone.. (true F-chat courtesy)

Regardless, let's not forget the COLA (cost of living) in Southern California !!! vs. Texas...

I own several companies. I know the costs..

Workers Comp.
    State Taxes
    And the damm highest real estate costs in the nation......
    Paying employee's 60K is not even enough for them to live out here! (or else they drive 50 miles to work)

I think Jerry got a fair deal.. Not to mention he's happy with the service! Happy enough to share with all of us..!

I'll just pay more and not complain..

Thanks again Jerry for sharing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Appreciate all your help bud..!
    Patrick

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I for one am also thankful to Slag.

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks guys - No worries - There are always people that can get a better deal. It's the same whenever someone asks for what a car is worth. A few people say the norm & then some people come in & say that is waaaaay too much. It is what it is. Just trying to help some people out. :)

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for the info - Eugenio does the work out of his garage at his house??

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You are hilarious. You scream about 6K & ask if there is something else you are not seeing. The next quote the guy shows you what you didn't see & then you start screaming again. Classic.

21. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    To give proper credit where due...

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/ also has full service information for Steve Jenkins' 328 (and his 348, and 512TR, and 355).... Steve was the inspiration for me when I made http://ferrari.threefourfive.com when I decided to put the 328 on the market this week.

:)

So, Now there are a couple of different people - steve jenkins, slag, and myself that have shared out information for anyone that has dreamed of getting a 328 (or a Ferrari in general) to understand the costs if you aren't a DIY type of person or just don't have time/equipment.

BTW - Steve and I both have used Alfa of Tacoma pretty much exclusively on the 328. Steve's 30k was $2247, and mine was $2021.28. But then my next 15k was $5844.74... but if you read the reciepts you see I also had the wheels painted, new rotors, new pads, emmissions test, etc. so you really have to look at the full context of what was done - on a 15+ year old car there is no such thing as "just" a 15k or 30k... you usually want to do some preventive maintenance and there are other variable wear items you just want to have taken care of.

Glad I was inspired by Jenkins and it prompted you to share slag - I would have loved this type of information while I was in the market for a 328.... now I just wish someone would share all their 456 service information. :)

-Dave Quick

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll share my costs when I'm at home. I don't have them on soft copies, so it will take some time. My costs were very good until this year when I had that loose crank pulley bolt cost me $1,800 or so.

I think I might have another $1,000 bill when I get my warm idle stalling fixed right.

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks Dave - I really appreciate the sharing of information & I'm glad some others do also.

24. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I broke the spreadsheet down very detailed for you - I'm surprised you couldn't understand it. On the bottom left, it is even broken down between 30K, Smog, Clutch, and Misc.

I don't think 4k is too out of line for a 30k in So. Cal.

Being that it is my first Ferrari and at the time I knew no other owners, I asked in the So Cal section regarding mechanics. I checked with the few options that were suggested and went with the best one I could find. Keep in mind that prices are a bit higher in So Cal. Hell, for what I paid for my house here, I could live like a King in Charleston. But then again, I would still be in Charleston. :)

25. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Sorry guys if I offended anyone... it wasn't my intention. I know there are people lurking here who are considering a Ferrari purchase but may be afraid of the potentional costs involved to maintain it. I just wanted to point out there are less expensive alternatives (I guess it didn't come across that way). As I mentioned, I'm sure your guy does great work too! Thx for posting your spreadsheet, Slag!