To all 360 Owners: CAPRISTO or TUBI Exhaust? | FerrariChat

To all 360 Owners: CAPRISTO or TUBI Exhaust?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jimmy540i, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Hey Guys:

My name is Jimmy and this is my first post. I need your words of wisdom.

I just got my 360 6pd Coupe a few weeks ago and installed the CAPRISTO exhaust and now I'm thininkg of changing to TUBI.

The reason I went for the Capristo is because I have been told that Capristo adds about 8HP instead of Tubi which adds 4HP.

However, I realized my 360 is loosing low-end torque (lag @ lower RPM) after the installation of the Capristo. It also heats up the engine bay despite the fact it has a deeper / louder tone than Tubi.

Since I do not wish to get a Rear Challenge Grill (which would reduce the temperature of the engine bay), I'm considering changing from Carpisto to Tubi.

I've just odered the Tubi. I would like to ask about your opinions prior the the swap.

Thank you.

Regards,
    JIMMY

2. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Well, like you I did not want the challegne grill either. Tubi is much better in my opinion SOUNDS awsome just as well! Plus 4hp or 8hp come on its not like we have a 4 banger and we are trying to get as much power as possible out of it. We have V8's we have alot of power already.
    Switch to Tubi you will be happy.

3. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    i have had tubi on my 360 coupe and spyder and have had no problems as far as loosing low end torque. i realy don't know about the hp increase either but it sounds great.

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    TUBI all the way! can't beat the rumble on the exhaust!

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I too have the Tubi and felt the same as you regarding low end performance. I talked to an independant F-shop locally and he claims that he dyno'd the Tubi and it resulted in a 9hp loss!!!! I would tend to agree with it as I think the car performs better with the stock exhaust. Plus good luck finding any performance data from Tubi. So it really boils down to what sound do you like better. I'd stick with what you have, no need to chase rainbows imo, not unless you don't like the sound of the Carpristo. Doesn't the Capristo sound more F1ish?

Btw, if you come down to Newport Beach to Crystal Cove Saturday AM, I'll let you hear the Tubi, if interested. I would like to hear the Capristo, live, for interest sake. PM me if any interest.

6. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    I do not have Tubi. I have Caprito now and changing to Tubi later on today.

Yes, Capristo does sound louder/deeper. I just can't justify the feeling of loosing the low-end TQ and the extra engine heat.

Will Tubi raise up the engine tempature big time in comparison to the stock exhaust?

BTW, What time is the meeing at Crystal Cove tomorrow?

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Jimmy, I left a message for you at the Ducati forum: keep the capristo and, imo, get the challenge grill.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have a GHL on my spider and I had one on the coupe. I think it sounds better than both, plus not eat and no low end loss that I noticed at all. You might want to call Orange Country Ferrari, they sell lots of GHL there and they probably have one on you can listen to.

9. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the Tubi and see what happens, if I don't like it. I will switch back to Capristo. No harm done.

I just hope Tubi does not generate as much heat as the Capristo in the Engine bay... oh, and don't have the low-end power loss.

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it turns out.

11. HGParts

HGParts Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Heiko from HGParts
    hi jimmy

the tubi will be more heath in the engine as the capristo for sure. wich capristo version did you buy nothing from me so maybe the LC Racing Capristo thats allmoust to loud to have on a street car.

Heiko
    HGParts
    Sponsor of FerrariChat
    email: [email protected]
    Webshop: http://stores.andale.com/hgparts

12. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Jimmy,
    I have a Tubi on my car and love it. I never tried a Capristo though.
    I recognize you from the M5 board. Welcome to Ferrari ownership!

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

John,
    Did you ever get that 998RS?

14. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    No, I'm still interested but just bought another race car which will keep me pretty busy for a while. If a nice 998RS comes up I'm interested.

15. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Thanks for the welcome John =)

Does your Tubi makes sound that turns heads in the traffic?

Also do you have pix of your 360?

16. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    I have had a Capristo on my 360M for a few months now and I love it. I don't notice any loss of power in the low end and I don't notice the engine compartment to be any hotter than it was before. The engine bay has ALWAYS been hot for me, the challenge grill helps with that.

I didn't get the exhaust for the HP gains, just for the great sound it puts out and also the great look of it. IMHO the Capristo is the most attractive exhaust made for the 360 and is the best sounding. As Heiko mentioned, do you have a Capristo or the LC Racing version? Capristo makes a version for LC Racing that is super loud and it is a different animal.

-- Michael

17. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I had the Tubi but it was too loud. So I used the original tail pipes and left the muffler. It was much better. The original has a butterly valve that opens at 4,000rpm, the effect of which is supposed to improve the low end torque. So I'm told.

But wht dont you fit the Challenge grill. It makes a lot of difference. If you don't like the black grill, paint it to match your body colour. A lot for mu friends do that and they're nice. In fact the factory will also do this as an option.

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    A new race car? Awesome. What kind? I will let you know if anything happens with any RS's.

19. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

This is the first time I've heard anyone stating Tubi being too loud. As far as my knowledge goes: Capristo is louder and sounds deeper than Tubi. You probably don't want that if you think Tubi is loud. =)

20. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I would be surprised if you feel a HP gain/loss with both exhausts, i.e. even 8HP is hardly noticeable. I did not notice any difference with teh Tubi exaust and Tubi Air filters in my 360 Modena

How do you experience increased heat in the engine bay?

Can it be that somehow there is a blockage in the silencer / piping – that would make your engine unhappy and could create a heat problem – I speculating here

21. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Hi:

Thanks for the input, may I see some pictures of your Tubi Air filters?

Regards,
    JIMMY
    www.jimmy540i.com

22. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Honestly, I don't think you are going to solve the heat problem with a Tubi instead of a Capristo. General concensus is that the Capristo sounds better, but I haven't heard one in person. If I were you, I would stick with your Capristo, and figure out a way to sort out your heat problem.

23. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    How do you know there is a heat problem? If both your oil temp and water temp are normal, there should not be anything to worry about?

Or maybe you are you worried about the paint?

AW

24. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    How do you know there is a heat problem? If both your oil temp and water temp are normal, there should not be anything to worry about?

Or maybe you are you worried about the paint?

Also, is there any dyno chart showing the difference between stock, tubi and Capristo? Loosing some low end torque on a relatively heavy car would be bad...

AW

25. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I just picked up my 360 Modena with a new Capristo a couple of days ago. I couldn't tell any torque/horsepower gain or loss. The sound is incredible. It's a wonderful pitch with multiple harmonics. At low RPMs, it seems much quieter than the Tubi, probably because it uses the stock baffles. When the baffles open, I couldn't tell if it was louder or softer than a Tubi - because I was so busy laughing like a kid!

I'll post more, including some pics, later.