Would you rather buy a specialty drink from Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks? | FerrariChat

Would you rather buy a specialty drink from Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KevinW, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would you rather buy a specialty drink from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts?

1. Starbucks

2. Dunkin Donuts

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Dunkin Donuts is spending a ton of money on advertising to go head on with Starbucks with their specialty drinks. They claim they are 20% cheaper and make it easier to decide what size you want (small, medium and large) as compared to Starbucks tall, grande and venti (I don't understand why it's so hard to understand the difference, personally).

So the question is: If there was a Dunkin Donuts and a Starbucks within the same area and you were craving a specialty drink (latte, cappuccino, espresso, etc), which would you go to and why?

Me personally, I would go to Starbucks because I love their coffee and a go crazy over their mocha. I do, however, like Dunkin Donuts coffee almost as much as Starbucks but have not tried their specialty drinks yet.

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    How about a "neither" catagory. I won't drop money in either place. I abhor StarSucks version of coffee and I prefer Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Coffee with milk..$1.25
    Cafe' Latte....$2.10

Crazy world

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Being a bit of a coffee adict I have spent a small fortune at Starbucks over the years and one thing I have to give them is that their coffee is good. Not the wattered down swill from Dunkin or Krispy or almost any roadside gas station along the interstate.

Still miss Second Cup Coffee from Canada some of the best Java out there....

5. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Starbucks!

6. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    There are two companies I won't visit. Walmart and Starbucks.
    Both are too much like the Borg. I prefer to spend my money with a small business.

Close to work, there is a Starbucks and across the walkway, a french bistro. I get my coffee and french pastrie at St. Tropez and I thumb my nose at Megabucks.

Erich

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Neith actually......both are overpriced......especially Starbucks.

8. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Go have a cup at the Second Cup for me....

9. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Second Cup Rocks......I can do Starbucks, in the morning...when Coffee is a requirement......but as a treat, Second Cup , hands down..

Also , here in Canada, we have this institution called Tim Horton's, and not a word of a lie......people line up, out the door, or at the drive through , rain , shine, snow, hail, hurricaine....for Tim's coffee.......Starbucks, would kill for that kind of business.........

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I don't go there either........

I only make it at work or at home.

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Just the coffee, no lattes. I drink it more for the effect than the taste anyway. Some sources say there is actually more caffeine in a cup of coffe than a latte.

DJ

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    NEITHER! They both suck. Anyone with 1/2 a taste bud knows better (with all due apologies).

13. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Hey now --- Careful or I will have to sick my new Pit bull Carbon on ya

14. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    starbucks over roast their coffee. their house coffee always come off to strong or burnt. their mochas use a very dull coco and lack flavor. their espresso (say you get a single shot to chug) is livable, but not good by any strech. the rest of their drink line up is a joke.
    as for dunkin and "specialty coffee drinks" they should stick w/ donuts.

edit: for typos; i apparently haven't had enough coffee, yet

15. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

AMEN!

16. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've never tried Second Cup nor have I ever heard of it...but I'd like to give it a try!

I think with Starbucks it's either a hate or love relationship with people. I personally love their "specialty" drinks but can only handle the MILD versions of their coffees. Drinking the BOLD is like drinking driveway sealer...it's too darn strong for me...even with tons of cream!

Krispy Kreme coffee is good. I think their donuts are the best I've ever had...especially the original glazed. They kill Dunkin Donuts in that respect.

17. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I drink a Starbuck red-eye on the way to school every morning. Talk about strong - their bold blend with a shot of espresso!

It seems like a lot of people want to scream as loud as they can "I don't drink Starbucks!" because they want people to know how original they are. Silly, if you ask me. The place serves good coffee, and for $1.40, I get my red-eye. That's not expensive, and it does the job of waking me up.

If I want a higher quality coffee, I use my French Press at home. Still, the cost of the press, and the cost of coffee comes close to $1.25/day, so Starbucks isn't too much more expensive.

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    If I can see through it, it isn't strong enough.:p
    DJ

19. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    the inverse could also be said. people profusely talk about their starbucks addiction to show off how "in the know" they are.

20. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You and Hubert both have valid points.

I don't think $1.40 for a cup of coffee is too much. It's the $3.25 latte and mocha that starts adding up!

21. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Neither...
    I bought an inexpensive Jura Capresso F9 automatic Espresso/Cappuccino & coffee machine so I don't have to go out to drink swill.

Put in some 1919 bristot Sublime 100% Aribica beans,
    and Starbucks wishes they tasted this good.

22. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy

Very true - Hubert does make a good point.

It does irritate me when someone goes out of their way to stand in a 15 minute line for a Venti Decaf Caramel Mocha-Frappachino with Non-fat cream, all for $4.00. Kind of crazy. I often see soccer moms dressed like their 14 year old daughters, standing in line with three other "I want my teens back" soccer moms and ten pre-teen girls, all jabbering and squealing and ordering 200-syllable drinks.

Ah well.

23. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Nibbles: We AGREE! There's a reason my friends and I call it "fourbucks." As an aside. You're in LA right? Isn't there a cozy cigar/scotch bar somwhere in that are? Buena Vista something? Now there's a place I wouldn't mind dropping $4bucks, or $40. Ring a bell?

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Next time you go to a Kustom Koffee Kafe, order a Sanka Latte. Reminder: Keep a straight face.

25. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Freakin' yuppies!

Admit it though, you love staring at the hot soccer moms dressed like teenagers. You're lying if you say you don't!

Ahh...these are the things I miss about living in LA.