I've been looking all over for one of these! | FerrariChat

I've been looking all over for one of these!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Spasso, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I've been looking all over for one of these and what do you know, a bunch of Cubans got the last one. DANG!

Talk about guts!

Cubans' drive to get to U.S. comes up short again

HAVANA — Three Cuban families' hopes of puttering to Florida in a green, propeller-powered 1959 Buick were dashed yesterday when the tail-finned, floating car was sunk, just like their first ingeniously engineered amphibious vessel, a 1951 Chevy truck rigged to a pontoon of 55-gallon drums, an exile source said.
    The Coast Guard declined to comment on the fates of 11 migrants who were intercepted Tuesday aboard the sealed Buick 10 miles off Marathon, about 90 miles southwest of Miami. But Cuban exile sources speculated they likely will be repatriated, just as some had been during the Chevy crossing in July.

"I'm hearing it from a government source," Cuban American National Foundation executive director Joe Garcia said. "They would probably be repatriated ... but who knows?"

Cuban-American activist Arturo Cobo, of Key West, Fla., said he tried to get his hands on the Buick-boat for a planned museum of exile memorabilia. Cobo, however, said the Coast Guard sank the Buick. The Coast Guard refused to confirm the floating car's status, but it used machine-gun fire to sink the 1951 pickup.

The attempt was the second at crossing the 90-mile Florida Straits aboard a 1950s vessel for Marcial Basante and Luis Gras, both 35. They were joined by Basante's wife, the couple's two children, Gras' wife and their 4-year-old son, and another couple and their two children.

Before attempting their first trip in the Chevy, Basante and Gras had made a living using the truck to haul construction materials and merchandise. Making ends meet had gotten tougher since the truck was sunk.

"He is young, he has a wife and two kids and wants to get ahead," said Basante's stepfather, Adan de la Torre.

Sisters of Luis Gras hoped the migrants' efforts would be rewarded, even if they did not meet the "dry foot" requirement that allows Cuban migrants to stay in the United States if they reach shore.

"I know the laws, their feet were wet. But I still have hope," said Lourdes Gras Rodriguez, 44.

Details on the sinking of the Chevy were provided by The Associated

There was a picture in the article but I was unable to reproduce it here at work. The car is a nice 'Sea Foam Green'.:p

DJ

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll bet you could get treasure hunter Mel Fisher, in Key West, to raise it for ya!

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #3 writerguy, Feb 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Those Cubans have been watching too much Monster Garage.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    There is a car in the UK that performs similarly but hasn't enjoyed much success.
    DJ

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #6 Spasso, Feb 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wow, how the heck did they match that ugly shade of green???? lol

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I heard it was left over paint used on the Scuderia Cuba Grand Prix car they ran in 59.

DJ

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Who needs modifications? Just keep the speed up and cruise right on into downtown Miami.

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I've seen monster trucks power across water on their big tires but this is a first! Especially driven by Robodog.
    DJ