Executive Headhunters/Recruiters?? | FerrariChat

Executive Headhunters/Recruiters??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by netviper, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My GF has not had a lot of luck finding a job yet.

Have any of you used any Head Hunting places that were really great for executives?

She has a finance and newspaper/publishing background and was the President of Publisher of our local Newspaper.

Thanks all!

2. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny

The good ones can add some value,,, most of them post bogus jobs and call you on positions that "might" turn up in the near future, to collect resumes or string you along on the off chance the position may actually materialize, so they'll be the first horse to send a qualified candidate...

3. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So what do you recommend?

4. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm a headhunter

I got into the business because I wanted to see what really happens behind the scenes.

I send 10 to 30 resumes for an opening to get one placement in this market. I glance at 200 resumes to pick the best 30.

At the end of the day, I have time to call back maybe 2 or 3 guys that the company wants to talk to.

I try to work on ten openings a day, so multiply those numbers by 10 and you get an idea how busy it can get.

5 years ago I had to send about 5 people in to get a placement. Times have changed and it is still a very tight job market.

I have seen a lot of guys that have been out of work for a year and have great resumes. Its so hard if they won't relocate.

I work for the automotive, medical, and wireless industry.
    Headhunters are very specialized, we all have are repeat business from a handful of firms in each industry. Also I keep tabs on another 10 to 20 firms in those same industries to watch for hiring surges, before the news gets out to the job market. I like to fill job openings two weeks before the manager was going to advertise the opening.

Sometimes I'll call a guy when I don't have an actual job opening. I do it because I recognize something on his resume that maybe 5 or 6 of my regular companies are always looking for. ... I will talk to the guy and if he's smart... he'll let me talk to my hiring mangers or directors and shop him around.

If you send your resume to a company web site... I can not help you. It locks out the headhunter. Good luck if the software that searches for buzz words picks you out of a pile. If you send me your resume I will talk to the manager or the director or VP and I will bug him two or three times until he reads your resume and lets me know.

I like my work. The only downside is that its a numbers game and I can't contact everybody that gets rejected.... not enough hours in the day. But if the company wants to interview you.. I'll be on the phone with-in 30 seconds chasing you down.

I placed two guys the same day I got their resumes… average is 3 months right now, and a few have taken 6 to 8 months to get some action on the resume. I'd like to help everyone, but it seems to be hit or miss on the timing, there just aren't enough jobs open right now.

The trick is finding a headhunter that specializes in your industry, we don't have a printed guide. Good headhunters specalize and learn everything about their market niche. Some firms specialize by geographic and local area instead.

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Kenny, that's kind of a bull**** generalization for low level head hunters but it doesn't apply to the top executive recruiters.

My wife is an executive recruiter (director level and up, but mostly CEOs, CFOs, and COOs) in the health care industry and she works exclusively on retained searches. Companies call her up and talk to her about a position and they have to send her 1/3 her fee before she starts. They do that so that they have priority with her. They know she'll get them a hot shot and she knows it, too. That's why she doesn't do contingency search: there's too much crap involved - and when you're talking to people who make several million a year, you want to limit the crap to zero.

6. Pacman

Pacman Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    I got my pharmaceutical sales job through an executive head hunter.

The trick is to find one that specializes in a certain industry. Ask around, some have better repuatations than others.

The main thing you have to remember is that they are usually 100% commission sales people and they are very busy. If one blows you off, don't take it personally and keep following up with them. Eventually, they will give you a break(as long as you are qualified for the positions they deal with).

Also, be 100% up front and honest with them. If you are not interested in a job after the first interview, let your recruiter know right away. Chances are, they will be going to bat for you with the employer and really trying to sell you as a solid candidate. If you are not interested let them know so they can focus on another candidate.

I was dealing with 5 different recruitment agencies while I was looking for my job....4 of them were shady who were trying to place me into jobs I had no interest in......the other one only sent me for interviews with companies I had selected.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread...... i would relocate in a heartbeat.......there seems to be a lot of jobs in Aerospace/Aviation right now opening up. overseas would be fine too..... maybe i could get a boxer instead of a 3x8 series! guess i need to work on a new resume ?!!

8. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks for the info Ric!

10. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is there any point in going to places that want to charge you to put your resume out?

It seems to me the best head hunters are going to make their money off placing you.

11. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Sologig charges the applicant and they are legit. But, I would be wary of places that charge.

Check to see if the guarantee quality placement (ie. we will place you in a job that you are qualified for in 6 months or refund your money) Also check to see if they only charge once they find you a job.

What you pay for with Sologig is information, access, and prestige.