Sticky tires for 355 and tire pressures | FerrariChat

Sticky tires for 355 and tire pressures

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by subirg, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Dear all

I have been running OEM Pirelli P Zeros on my 355 Spider. I want to try something a bit more sticky... Can you guys recommend some tried and tested soft rubber that's worth trying (e.g. P Zero C's)?

Also - what's the optimal tyre pressure settings when the warm?

Thanks!

2. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    1.Bridgestone Potenza S-03
    2.Goodyear Eagle F1 Fiorano
    3.Kumho ECSTA MX

3. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My $.02? While I don't love the P-Zeros, you won't get that much better performance from other "max performance" tires. Certainly not on the street. Let me ask - why do you want "stickier" tires? Are you running out of traction? If so, where and how? Comparable tires include the Michelin Pilot Sport, the BFG K/D, Bridgestone S-03, or the Kumho Ecsta MAX. The latter especially is a great value, offering comparable performance for about 70% of the price. But these tires will all perform within, say, 5% of one another. They will vary more in terms of "feel" than ultimate performance, for most drivers in most scenarios. Check out the comparison tests on tirerack.com for more detailed info.

Moving up to a "DOT-approved" quasi-race tire (a/k/a "r-compounds") is another matter. You WILL get much improved, noticeable performance, but at the sacrifice of pretty-bad tire life.

Ask yourself (and share with us), "why do I need sticker tires"? Seriously....

Oh, optimal GRIP on street tires typically tend to be around 40 PSI **HOT**. This is for track use.

vty,

--Dennis

4. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have always been a Pzero man but in terms of upgrading rubber you can't get Pzero Corsa's in the correct sizes for a 355.

As such, whilst I can't help answers to the following questions may help:

- What is the difference between Pzero's and Pzero Rosso's in terms of performance.
    - What rain tyre was recommended for 355 challenge cars?

Izza

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    PZero Rossa gets lousy review as the survey section in TireRack.

A quick check at TireRack indicates:

PZero Nero: no correct rear tires
    PZero Rossa Asimetrico: No correct rear
    PZero Rossa Directionale: no correct rear tire
    PZero System Asimetrico: 2 correct rear tire sizes (265/40ZR18 and 275/40ZR18
    PZero Corsa: No correct rear tire

A quick survey of competition tires 265/40ZR18: BFG drag radial
    A quick survey of competition tires 275/40ZR18: nada
    A quick survey of competition tires 295/35ZR18: nada

This leaves you with a dilema: Do you set you car up for a non-standard tire and change the rear ride height to rebalance the chassis and consign yourself to this nonstandard size, or do you use regular maxPerformance tires for street driving?