Single dist. conversion/tach reading | FerrariChat

Single dist. conversion/tach reading

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doug, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Looked at a carbed 308 that the owner converted to a single dist. He said that the tach is disconnected because when he did the conversion, the tack read dbl. the rpm and he didn't want to break it. I did a search and found all different info but cannot come to a conclusion. The system is already in place and working great, so what would I need to correct the tach if I decide that this is a car for me. Do I need it recalibrated or will some sort of sensor do the trick? What kind of $$ as well.
    Thanks

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The key fact to know is that the 308 tachometer is really a 4 cylinder tachometer, reading the pulse off of one coil. There are two options for single distributor conversions on standard ignition V-8 cars:

1. Send tach to Palo Alto Speedometer (or equivalent) and they will covert it to an 8 cylinder tachometer. I'm guessing $100 - 200. As an example, check out Norwood's single dist. coversion facts at http://www.norwoodperformance.com/engine_electronics.htm
    Norwood may do it for you cheaper.

2. Fchatter (inactive) Ben Millermon, who makes a nice single distributor conversion (many in use), also has engineered a signal converter to be used in line keeping the original tachometer.

Those are the options I know.
    Others?

hth
    Russ

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is this similar to the "black box" tachometer generator/translator/sender that Nick Scianna (Nick's Forza Ferrari, F-chat sponsor) includes with his kit (which I have)? It's designed to drive the Ferrari 4-cyl tach from the electromotive.

Pretty heavy, about 1" x 2" x 4".

--Mike

4. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I looked at the Norwwod link through my search and saw the recalibated tach as well as Palo Alto Speedo. Just wondering if there was more of a bolt in deal like a sensor. I found some mention of it during the search, but no conclusion.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I have a Norwood single Dizzy and ended up sending my Tach to Palo Alto Speedo for the correction...

It makes me wonder about the car in question,
    If the single dizzy conversion was done half assed,
    then what about the rest of the car?
    How long has the car been driven without knowing if you have exceeded red line because the Tach is disconnected?
    What else had been disconnected without you knowing, speedO?
    If the owner hasn't fixed a problem that is under 200 bucks,
    what does that tell you?

6. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The owner and his mechanic did the conversion without knowledge of Norwood's and others. They were not sure of how to get the tach right so it was just disconnected.

7. Lee Ashley

Lee Ashley Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    Augusta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Lee Ashley
    Does anyone know how to get in touch with Ben Millermon or if he has a web site. I am interested in converting my ignition and would like to get a price for his system,

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Talked to Kermit Morgan (www.durable1.com) who is trying to get in touch with him after a customer bought a distributor, Ben has somewhat disappeared, and seems to have left his previous job where we had a number. His email used to be:
    [email protected]
    Norwood might be the more available for the time being until Ben resurfaces. They did an adapter for a Mallory Unilite distributor for a 3.2 for me.
    Good luck
    Russ

9. Lee Ashley

Lee Ashley Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    Augusta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Lee Ashley
    Thanks for your response. I was looking at the Norwood site and the conversion they showed was around $1400. I was hoping to spend a little less. I will give them a shout and see if they have any alternatives such as you sugested.

Thanks