Show it off or cover it up? | FerrariChat

Show it off or cover it up?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by forzarich, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    So you work in a dead end job and don't earn enough money.

You've bought a 360 and can no way afford it :D

Do you:

a) Pose as much as you can, showing it off at every opportunity.
    b) Maybe tell your closest colleague but generally keep it hush hush.
    c) Don't tell a soul

2. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    d) post it on a public forum :)

3. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    yeah but noone in my office is likely to be here.
    I'm not bothered about anyone else, hell, they've all had to suffer me crapping on about it long enough.

Just worried that it might hinder any remote chance of a pay rise this year....

4. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Just enjoy it....**** the rest its your loss gamble...good luck.

5. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London

Definitely not a) ! If work colleagues get pissed off the first person they phone is the Inland Revenue! Try :

e) Pull a fabulously rich bird with it and get her to buy you another

6. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    As a chap in a similar position, I'd suggest option c) don't tell a soul, or d) only if you regard the close colleague as genuine friend.

People at work often harbour funny little resentments, which can surface at inopportune times- e.g. pay rise time.

I had a 911 in my last 2 years at University. I told no-one, except closest friends. On odd occasions classmates would see me in it out and about and look confused. When they asked later, I'd deny it!

I'd be intrigued to know (TonyH?) what the attitude is to conspicuous consumption in the City, now that the good times are rolling again, to a certain extent.

7. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    I'm in a similiar situation.

I went throught the stage of telling everyone that I had a Ferrari, and started to feel like a flash wanker.

Then I went throught a stage of playing it down to everyone who heard I had a Ferrari feeling a little embarassed.

Eventually I got to a point where I realised that I didn't give a toss if anyone thought I was a tosser for having one. It was their problem, not mine.

I no longer broadcast the fact, but if someone asks, I'm more than happy to talk about it, and share the experience; it's amazing how many people stop thinking you are a wanker when you offer to take them for a spin.

Before I had an Fcar, I held owners in a bit of awe, and certainly many of them see themselves as a bit special, but this is more to do with their relationship with their money, than their relationship with their Ferrari, and who needs that kind of bollox? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we should each of us consider ourselves ambassadors of the marque and banish this kind of narrow minded thinking to the history books.

The world is a small place and life is frighteningly short. Enjoy you car, and the experiences that it brings you 'cos ultimately these are the things that enrichen your soul. I think this is the way to shrug off the lable of "arrogance" that people assume you have because you own a Ferrari. And only when you realise this will you be truly at ease with the experience.....

Ooooo, aren't I the philosopher this morning?

Stig

P.S. This is my take; it may not be right for all. It may be bollox!!

8. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I think Stig should do an uplifting Philosophical Message every Friday.

Robert.

9. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    NONE OF THE ABOVE.

Go and work for an company where they would see it as a sign of
    success and give you and even bigger pay rise for not being a looser.

Success breeds success.
    Jealosy is just a sign of lot being able to compete.

Wazza

10. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Wazza

I agree!!!!!!!

11. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Any jobs going where you work?

Robert.

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    he doesn't work !

13. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
    I am in a similar position and try and keep it as quiet as possible.

Funny thing happened last year. Took the Ferrari down to Hampshire for the weekend with the girlfriend. On the way back I had a head to head with a Porsche 911 on the M-way for about three miles.

Didn't think anything of it until a colleague in the office who is nutty about cars wouldn't stop talking about seeing a Ferrari and Porsche giving it some down the M-Way. If only he knew who was driving the red one!! Of all the places he could have been in the country.........

H

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H

it's positively encouraged !

15. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    With my 348 everyone got to know about, most people were cool with it but did notice some strange behavior of some senior people. I have decided not to tell the wider population of the 360 as people jump to the craziest conclusions, especially as I got the 360 after bonus time, and no the bonus was crap so had no bearing on the purchase. Guess people associate Ferrari with a lot of strange things.

16. daz355

daz355 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    MclarenVille
    Full Name:
    Darren P
    Work mates/friends and family know what I have,however it can become a bit embarrassing.Especially when I go to the inlaws pub and loads of people ask very loud if I have brought the Fcar with me.looks of disgust often come my way.Still sod the to$$ers and enjoy it!!!!!!

17. MOD500

MOD500 Guest

Intersting this thread........from my experience with the TVR, it brings strange reactions out in people:

1) They don't know what it is!

2) They shout and give the thumbs up, children whoop as you pass by.

3) People race you, and when I pass them (most of the time anyway, the race with the 996 turbo was a mistake!) they give the thumbs up.

4) Women give the eye, to the car that is, and then look away when they see the elephant man driving!

5) Drunken men shout 'Go on, give it some' in town, then when I do a few blips, they shout 'Yessssssss, on go'!

Only been given the coffee bean shaker action (i.e. wa*ker) once, other than that ownership has been quite positive.

I never deny having one when asked, but never make a point of telling people about it, unless I know they are a car nut or have a performance car themselves.

MOD.

18. tomkranz

tomkranz Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Tom
    As a contractor, I find the permies in most places I have worked already have odd ideas about how much I should be earning, and the lavish lifestyle that I should be leading.

I've learned to live with it, and keep quiet. Now I have the Mondial, I stick to that still - if someone asks or finds out, they quickly realise I am one of the more rabid Tifosi, and that a Ferrari is not a status thing - it's a love of a superb car.

Obviously, I'm in a slightly different position, as the only person I have to argue with when it comes to pay-rise time is myself :)

Enjoy the car, don't feel ashamed, and when asked about it, show people you got a Ferrari because it's a *Ferrari*.

And don't drive it to work <grin>

Cheers,
    TOM

19. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    True.

But I used to

Wazza

20. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Like it Stig. Well said.

I tried the unassuming no one needs to know thing for a couple of weeks, then I got pissed and told the world! ****!

For the most part people are cool..you do see true colours of individuals in terms of who is genuinely pleased for you, and who genuinely resents it..I have been surprised on both counts.

21. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    If you have your own business and part of your work is selling your product/service then its not usually good to drop the f-car into the conversation! Same with the house/boat/holiday home or whatever else you have. I tend to pitch myself as being comfortable but not quite in the same league as the client I'm selling to... even if their house would fit in my garage or I wouldn't give their car to the au pair to drive!

Outside of work I don't care who knows.

Steve

22. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi guys everyone ok,
    I would tell the boss and friends i had a ferrari,its my personal thing and its what i wanted,it should in my opinion have nothing to do with a pay rise,as for people calling ferrari drivers tossers sorry i dont understand so someone may have to help me there,i have a very nice 21 year old girlfriend and i also enjoy a wank and so what,am i the only one who does this,so giving a f-car driver the wanker sign is just childish and theres no other word for it,enjoy your ferrari dont worry what anyone else thinks,
    Dale.

23. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    This is the Brit in us. If you were American you'd not only tell ALLL of your mates you'd rev the engine as you park and have the world out in the carpark at every opportunity. If as reserved British we saw such behaviour we would probably cringe but also know that the US owner was loving all of it, even seeing people think he/she was a total wanker.

We only live once. Four months ago my 37 year old brother dropped down dead with no warning at all. My dad died 7 years ago, Six years ago my partner of 18 years left - I know sob, sob, but my point is we only live once and you have bought something because you wanted it. If you still want it drive it, enjoy it, it's other people who have the problem not you. If you don't enjoy the car any longer then sell it and get something else to occupy your dreams, they are your dreams.

24. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Robinh i couldnt agree with you more .This is not the practice for the real thing If you can afford it and your not hurting anybody get out there and ENJOY

RAY

25. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Was it a dark blue 993?