348 Exhaust Update / Heat shield question | FerrariChat

348 Exhaust Update / Heat shield question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Catherine, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Catherine

Catherine Rookie

May 29, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    We successfully changed our exhaust today at home! Fellow FChater, Jim Hilton, came through as promised with the 348 spyder exhaust for our 1991 348 ts. It took about 3 hours to switch out. The new exhaust sounds louder and better, but isn't up to Tubi levels. Probably the biggest gain is that it is half the size of the old one.

Halfway through the project, we took the opportunity to fire up the car without any muffler. I thought it sounded great. But my retired neighbor cast his vote otherwise. It was amazing how fast his garage door went up and he was out in his driveway casting evil glances our way.

Plans for the old exhaust are to circumcise it into a "challenge" exhaust.

We took off the heat shields. Do you think it is ok to leave them off with this new exhaust?

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    C,

I'm the instagator of the modified 348 two can exhaust. I probably upped the value of them now. Anyway your neighbor will not like the modified exh either. It is o.k. to leave the heat shields off.

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Catherine,

Awesome, any pics of the modded exhaust!

VIncent.

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Catherine,
    I have the challenge exhaust on my 348tb. I currently run it without the heat shields - while I think it's ok, I might just slap mine back on to keep the engine compartment cooler (e.g., airbox, etc) I agree with billy bob that it's probably ok to leave it off, but you might just leave it on just to help ward off some excess heat.

If you liked the car w/o mufflers, you will definitely like the challenge exhaust with straight pipes... I use mine as a daily... it's loud (105+ decibels) but well worth it... when I push the car... it really screams! :)

-Byron

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Do Not run the car without the shields. I have to get new rear tail lights because the heat from the exhaust melted them. I was missing the top rear part of the heat shield, the one closest to the tail lights. I borrowed the shield that I was missing from Gene, and had one made using his as a template. Which reminds me I have to get his back to him. Anyway have you seen how much the dealer is asking for one. What a joke. It cost me a whopping $20 to have it made. All they are is about two layers of fiberglass painted with silver heat resistance paint. If I remeber correctly the dealer was asking about $450. Freeking crooks.

6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ernie,

C is running the spyder exhaust one can or the challenge exhaust straight pipe. You are running two can pre 91 exhaust so you are right but for C's new set up shields are not needed. And BYron, oem shields will not help with your set-up. You would need to cover the area like a 308 truck section but that would direct more heat into the gearbox/belhouse section. This could be a problem for the grease packed in the flywheel. Therefore, I would not put any shields on here.

7. Catherine

Catherine Rookie

May 29, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    #7 Catherine, Nov 13, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Catherine

Catherine Rookie

May 29, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    #8 Catherine, Nov 13, 2003
    I guess this question is for Billy:

The top can unbolts, but where do I chop the bottom can and how do I get it to connect to the catalytic converters? Any direction would be great.

Here's a picture of the original exhaust.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Looking at that standard 348 spyder exhaust is totally different to my standard European spyder exhaust. I have a tubi on mine with no cats. The original 348 TB/TS exhaust in the last picture is massive. The orginal European has only one silencer not two as shown in the picture.
    Overall the US spec standard exhaust are twice the size as the European exhaust's..

10. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    #10 bigbaddad, Nov 14, 2003
  11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Kenyon,

The massive one is from 89-91 only.

C,

You are trying to make your lower can look like the challenge picture of the other poster. You cut the tips off close to the can and then the inlets close to the can. You then connect these two componants with about a 4" pice of intermediate pipe. Then you cut holes for the crossover. The center of the crossover is a resonator not a glasspack so you can use a pice of pipe slightly larger than the crossover pipe. If the poster of the challenge picture will let you maybe he will send it to you so you can copy it. It is really easy. Also if you wrap the pipe in header wrap you will drop engine compartment temps even more than running just the challenge exhaust. There are only advanatages to doing this and a littel negative in noise. It is a bit load for street but if the cops hassle you show them the word Ferrari on the inlet side connection of the tubes you fabricate and them them to complain to Ferrari. That worked fine as onother poster on this board can atest.

12. Catherine

Catherine Rookie

May 29, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    Thanks Billy! I can't believe how much you know about these cars.

13. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

hey guys, i just installed a spider exhaust that i bought on ebay, much better sound, doesnt sound like a sewing machine anymore, when i got it, it was missing the cross bracket that the exhaust hangs from, i fabricated a bracket but i would rather have the original ferrari bracket, anybody have one out there? thanks Craig

14. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

never mind about the bracket, the guy i bought the exhaust from found it and is mailing it to me

if anybody wants my old cannibalized 2 can exhaust there welcome to it, but youll have to drive to westlake village to pick it up

15. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Ahh I now see what you did with my old exhaust BillyBob...I was wondering what the hell you were planning to do with it. I would love to hear it someday! I have started and ran my car with just straight pipes and I think it was actually quieter than with the Tubi or the challenge exhaust, not nearly as brassy. I drove it for a week just straight pipes no cats, really a cool sounding enigne but lost a lot of torque down low. If you really want your car to scream take off the cats, they are the biggest constrant on the sound of the engine.

Byron I am amazed that your car is only 105db! I am at 112db at 6000RPM and god knows above that with a Tubi and no cats...I would think you were at least at that level.

Good looking 348 guys you should have fun with it.