Ferrari/GM Rumor | FerrariChat

Ferrari/GM Rumor

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by l'esecuzioneItaliana, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    I heard a rumor that Ferrari and GM are going to merge or team up on some stuff, like importing and price effectiveness. I read about it in some UK magazine. Is is true?

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    if it is... I want to be removed from the gene pool. I hate GM with a passion.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, its true. Ferrari will actually be collaborating with Pontiac to re-introduce the 360 as the next Fiero.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Perhaps the rumor relates to GM's investment in Fiat Auto Group - which does not include Ferrari and Maserati?

5. Mako98PonyGreenComendator

Feb 5, 2004
    DOES THAT MAKE THE GALLARDO THE NEW 914?

6. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    whats the problem?
    Why havent you found the capslock key?

7. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    Thanks allan, without the knowledge of one man I would be lost. I hope it have Ferrari elegane with a little longer lasting enigine parts.

8. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    Let me do this over... I hope it has Ferrari elegance with... there we go.

9. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I hated the way the 914 looked with a passion, but it was actually a spectacular handler from what I hear, but before my time...did I mention ugly?

10. CalGTS

CalGTS Karting

Jan 18, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Leigh
    GM and fiat platform share allready

They were going to do a complete takeover, but i think it fell though when GM tired to move some production out of italy, to do with quality and cost issues.

so now they only have a large share in fiat, and not complete controll, but they have been swapping parts back and forth alot.

fiat stilo and GM astra mk5 even look alike, i belive they have a very similar, if not the same platform.

I don't see this as a bad thing for ferrari, if anything it might give them a little more money to play with in the long run. As fiat are bassically completly broke and closing down dealers left right and center.

11. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Ferrari and Maserati are not part of the Fiat Auto Group. If GM's investment was in that group, then I don't see how it would affect Ferrari.

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    From Reuters, 1/12/04, note the difference between "Fiat" and "Fiat Auto":

TURIN, Italy, Jan 12 (Reuters) - Fiat <FIA.MI> might give up a "put" option allowing it sell the rest of Fiat Auto to partner General Motors (nyse: GM - news - people) if GM recognises the value of the option, Fiat Chairman Umberto Agnelli said on Monday.

"If this value is recognised in the correct teams by General Motors then we could even give up the put," Agnelli told reporters on the sidelines of a conference.

Fiat shares were up 5.7 percent at 6.07 euros by 1617 GMT.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    GM was ^&%^%^ so bad with the stock swap, that they have basically agreed not to sue each other for the next year (2004), and reevaluate the situation for 2005.

Next "Fiero", Alan you crack me up!!

Speedy 308 for President

Endorsed by the Carolina Panthers Cheerleader Squad. Sponsored by Armani

14. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I can't stand GM either. I can see it now... "change for a dollar" commercials that have to do with Ferrari... UGH!

15. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    It says they are at their website... www.fiatgroup.com

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Check out the Fiat corporate website:

http://www.fiatgroup.com/main.php?w=XEV3EX91XRJGHZQ1R8TI&tl=Gruppo%20Fiat&gs=Corporate%20structure

Elsewhere on the site, the corporate structure is shown to separate Ferrari/Maserati from Fiat Auto. From a "sector" standpoint, as you indicate, Fiat Auto and Ferrari Maserati are of course making the same general product. Fiat Auto and Ferrari/Maserati are owned separately by the holding company, 2 different entities with a common parent; among other things, Ferrari is of course not wholly owned by the Fiat holding company.

If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I don't think I am.

Cheers, Will

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
  18. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
  19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Here is the deal explained simply, as I understand it:

"Ferrari/Maserati have nothing to do with GM's deal with Fiat. As has been said before, GM owns 20% of Fiat Auto (which owns the Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Innocenti, and Lancia brands). Ferrari (and subsequently Maserati) is controlled by Fiat SpA, who owns the other 80% of Fiat Auto. GM has no claim on Ferrari/Maserati (which is about 60% owned by Fiat SpA)."

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3547&st=0&

The history of the deal, greatly simplified, as I understand it, is:

GM acquired its 20% stake in Fiat Auto in March 2000 for $2.4 billion in GM stock. Fiat SpA took a 5.1% stake in GM. The alliance established joint ventures and cooperative product development efforts that the auto makers predicted would save $1.2 billion annually by 2003.

Fiat SpA subsequently sold its GM stock.

According to an agreement the companies announced last October, corporate parent Fiat SpA has the option of forcing GM to buy the remaining 80% stake of Fiat Auto between Jan. 24, 2005, and July 24, 2010. The accord delayed an existing “put” option from 2004 until next year. This put has been discussed in the financial press.

If you think this is wrong, splain the deal to me, buddy, I'm always interested in learning more about Ferrari.

Cheers, Will

20. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Probably more worrying more worrying than GM taking over Ferrari would be Volkswagen getting their sticky paws on Ferrari. The collabaration with Maserati over the chassis of the Quattroporte may be the first step on the slippery slope.

21. Pat

Pat Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Genova, Italy
    Full Name:
    Emanuele

A B S O L U T E L Y N O T

;)

The GM-Fiat contract excludes just Ferrari and Maserati ;)

22. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    I never said anything about the contract with Fiat. You can even read about the GM-Ferrari merger at GMs site. I never said anything about Fiat.

23. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Allan, you are so funny, I actually FORGOT to laugh !!

24. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Where? A search for "Ferrari" on gm.com brings up nothing.