Who will be watching the F-1 season? | FerrariChat

Who will be watching the F-1 season?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 007, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Rate your level of interest in F-1

1. Never miss a race on TV.

2. Catch one or two a year on TV, check the standings now and then.

3. Never have seen a race.

4. Don't like F-1.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I'm curious what level of interest you all have in F-1 so I posted this poll.

2. udalmia

udalmia Guest

never missed a single race last year irrespective of time, dont plan to this time either

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    never missed a race intentionally

4. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    It's my favorite thing to watch on TV all year. I do my best to watch every race but usually catch the reruns at night. I love Ferrari but I hate early mornings especially on Sunday.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well,

I watch them all and have for several seasons (thanks, TIVO), but I can't say that I like F1 racing. I just can't seem to get into a series in which races with few competitive passes are considered interesting.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    THE most important thing for me to watch on the telly.

Also have made it a rule to visit one GP per year in person.

7. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm a total F1 fanatic. I'll be at the Malaysian GP.

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Watch, yell, scream, throw things, I do it all.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hehe, that's the only way of watching!

What I don't understand are Ferrari owners who don't care about F1. I just don't understand it. Beyond me.
    :(

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    They are bastards! All of them! Watch F1, it's where Ferrari plays.

11. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    I watch it, tape it, then watch it again, then read about it, then ....

oh god, I need help.....

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Simple. F1 is a spectacle, but it's not racing. Period. WRC, Rolex Series, AMLS, NASCAR, those are racing series.

And no, I'm not ignorant of F1. Yes, I know about pit strategies, the personalities, drag vs. downforce, etc. I even won the Fantasy F1 this past year, so I do pay attention. I've given it a fair shot for the past few years, but most of the races are just flat out boring.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You would be surprised how many there are who don't give a damn. It is shocking. I realized that during a club event where many people not only didn't bother to watch the race (which was on a few hours before the event), many of them didn't even know about it. Sad but true.

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Well if you don't have a taste for it...

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    First I got all confused about your statement, but once I realized you call NASCAR a racing series I decided to just let it go.

Apparently we live in two different galaxies.

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Interesting. IMO, the past few years F1 has been terrific. For some years before that, I'll agree it was boring, but '02 and '03 I thought were real classics, and I've been a serious F1 fan since the late '50's.

Gary

17. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Good to hear. I would have loved seeing those very old races! Wow! I'm too young to remember any classic forhgt though. I didn't even see Senna drive a live race. :(

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have F1 programmed in my TIVO so I get to watch everything that comes on that has F1 init's title or description, which is scores of shows per week.

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Never miss a race intentionally. I started as a Ferrari (and Alfa) fan with Niki Lauda in the 70s in high school

Often have watched over the past 7 years with my now 11 yo daughter who is the only M. Schumacher fan in her 6th grade class where the boys are all NASCAR...

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Racing should include (indeed, is almost defined by) ON-TRACK competitive passing. There's so very little of that in F1 that there's a person in rec.auto.sports.f1 that actually keeps track of the on-track passes within a race, and rarely has to get into double digits.

Now, vintage F1 footage is interesting.

I blame the aerodynamics and the automation. Cut the wings to half the size, put the slicks back on, and get rid of traction control, paddle shifters and (almost) automatic transmissions, and it might become interesting again. They can't close in on the car ahead because of the loss of downforce on the front of the car, and right now there's almost no chance of someone missing a shift into/out of a corner, or being able to outbrake someone else.

The cars are amazing, the drivers are awesome, but the event is simply a high speed parade. I'm just waiting for someone to cut a slot in the middle of the track and add magnets to the cars to complete the transition.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I've been a F1 fan for over thirty years. And a Ferrari fan for only 15 years. Yup, I got the Ferrari bug through F1. Not vice versa. And actually during a time they weren't even winning.

22. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    i used to watch F1 for a couple of years from 97 i think, i was always cheering for Eddie Irvine at ferrari,He almost won the chanpionship as well (i realy wish he had done it over Shuey) When Eddie left Ferrari and Veilnerve got a crap ride i stoped watching. My dream team Ervine and Veilnerve at Ferrari.

23. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I never miss a race!

Our FCA region has a viewing party (either live or tape delayed) at a local Pizza Pub to watch the F1 races in Seattle and the Ferrari dealer in Portland has a viewing party at their dealership on Tuesday nights following the race.

24. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I don't miss a race.

As for those who complain there isn't enough passing: that's a valid point, BUT.......

F1 is about the actual race itself, but it's about so much more than that.

For me, F1 races are all about the subtle nuances.

The technological miracles being driven on the track are awe inspiring. From the motors to the gearboxes, to the use of crazy materials, aerodynamics, innovations, etc etc etc.

The talent of the drivers, being to extract (or not being able to extract) the maximum out of the car, given it's good and bad characteristics.

The tire war.

The efficiency of the pit teams.

The intrigue of seeing if the fuel delivery systems are working properly.

I can go on and on and on.

What I'm getting at is this:

F1 is not simply about going round and round with cars bumping into each other. For that, you can watch Australian Supercars, the German Touring series, the WRC, all awesome series. Heck, you can even watch Nascar (nahhhh).

25. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I have seen every single race since 1987. I have the '88, '89, and '90 season on tape, and still enjoy pulling out one of those tapes at random, and watching again. I have also seen 8 races live, all in Montreal (up to and including the year that Senna was killed)

Definitely my favorite sport.