Did/do you have to work hard to buy/keep your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Did/do you have to work hard to buy/keep your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by alx355gt, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Did/do you have to work hard to buy/keep your Ferrari?

1. No, I have/had rich parents

2. No, my proffesion made me a rich man

3. Yes, and still sacrificing to buy/keep it.

4. Yes, but now I have it, it's more easy to keep it.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    For me it's still hard working and saving, but I'm certain I will succeed buying one before I'm 35.

2. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Alx, the First one was free - a present (really the result of a bet) from the PaPa. I am now 36 (almost 37) and am still saving to buy another. Best of luck.

Scottie

BTW, any and all contributions will be accepted and will be used strictly for F-car related purchases.

3. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    Still busting my a$$ daily to keep it,but its worth every second

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    None yet, and it's a long way off... Until then, cheese sandwiches... Lots and lots of cheese sandwiches...

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Depends upon what you mean.

Did I work hard--yes
    Did I work hard only to get a Ferrari--no
    Would I have worked hard even if there were no exotic cars at all--yes
    If I did not work hard would I have gotten a Ferrari--maybe
    If I did not work hard woud I have enjoyed my Ferrari--yes
    If I did not work hard would I have respected my Ferrari--probably not.

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Yeah, What he said...............:p

Seriously, Even if it was given to me I would respect it and take care of it like all of my equipment.

DJ

7. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    It's a struggle for me as my car is so needy. The cost is secondary to the effort it takes to keep it running in top condition. I didn't know crap about cars 3 years ago when I bought my Lotus, and I threw a lot of money at it early on. My mechanic, who specialized in old British cars, was not very good with mine, so I "fired" him and now do my own work. I do lots of stuff more than once but just the education is amazing! I'm hopefull in another year the car will be "done" as far as having it 100%. Then I'll just need to fix things that break.

Ken

8. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Been working a LOOOOOOOONG time. Have manged to put enough back for both kid's college expenses. Dragged my destitute butt out of an ugly 2 year divorce where I lost two houses, two cars, but kept the kids. Paid off the last credit card bill from ex-wife in December (was over $25,000).

I will be calling Martin at Cavallino Motors sometime this year.

The day I make that call, the world will be right and life will be good.

9. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    The rainbow at the end of the storm...good luck :)

10. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    hang in there, im sure the day will come soon!

ernie

11. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    SDUKE-I really commend you on that! I wish you the best in your future and hope you get your dream car, whatever that may be.

Best of luck,

Marcus

12. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Actually, there are 2 issues here.
    Getting the car was a long anticipated delight.
    However, since it is a relatively bulletproof 328, keeping it is easy. It needs little more than a yearly oil change...

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    it's not how hard you work.

it's how smart you work. who works harder, a ditch digger or a doctor?

14. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    First, there is nothing wrong with hard work!

Second, I agree completely with Mitch's comments...

Kind Regards, Chris

15. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Kind of a loaded question. If you are a member of the lucky sperm club you are assumed you cannot appreciate the car for what it is. Most people want to hear that you toiled day and night for years before you got the car. By the same token I never understood the phrase "to deserve a Ferrari". Geezus it's a car, plain and simple. Sure it's a bit different than others but by the same token it's sometimes more of a pain in the ass than the Benz . The key thing is people measure others by the size of their own wallets. What's a big deal for some is not a big deal to others.

To answer your question for myself I got stock options and quit working in the fall of 1999. Working for a living to me sucked the big one. Having a great time now raising our 2 little boys just kicking back.

16. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    AMEN!

Don't choose between working hard and working smart, do both. The ditchdigger works harder, the doctor probably works longer and IMO neither one is doing both. Both get paid for the amount of time they work. They only earn as much as they work. Silly concept if you ask me. Better off to have lots of people working for you or machines working for you. Factories and oil rigs pay don't stop paying you when you're sick or on vacation. Next best thing is sales with residual commissions. Nothing like getting a check in the mail for doing very little.

17. F355guy

F355guy Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Full Name:
    John P.
    I'm still playing the lotto. Just kiddiing. If you play your cards right, you will get what you want in life.

18. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same here.

Then again, it is definitedly worth every second.

19. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Right now everything is hitting on all 12 cyclinders in my life. I realize I'm only a day away from the unemployment line or being worm food, so the carpe diem mentality does set in at 44. They say that 60 years old is now the new 40, so that pretty much makes me a teenager again. I've been working all my life and plan to keep doing so. Why do we work anyway? It's to keep our society going. We all contribute our own little part to make the world go around. We give a little, and get a little back. Lots of times it's a paycheck to keep everyone in the family happy, and to keep all the well-oiled machines running. Couldn't answer the poll question though, because my answer would be e) a combination of all of the above...

20. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I formulated the question wrong?
    What about; did/do you have to sacrifiece to buy/keep one? Or was/is it hard? You're absolutely right, hard working isn't always the same as earning a lot. I'm not a doctor, but I like my work, don't have to work that hard and guess I'm happy with my paycheck, although it's not gonna make me a milionaire. But... I'm pasionated about Ferrari since I was a kid, and I'll have to make some sacrificies to eventualy buy one some day.

So I guess, if you REALLY want it, you CAN get it and you will cherish it because you "worked" so hard for it.

But I don't think you appreciate the car less, if it was more easy to get one (rich family, succes in bussiness,...) IF you've got the passion for the car.
    I'm affraid though that some "rich" people (not the ones on Fchat, 'cause I think you have to love your car (or at least like to drive it) if you visit this site?) see it more as a nice little toy to show off with and don't know the value of it (guess those people are the first to crash there car and just replace it with the next "toy"?)

So, for al of those who want one, good luck; for al the ones who have one; enjoy your cars (that won't be a problem I guess? :) )