Difference in market price/value? 360 Spider vs. Murcie... | FerrariChat

Difference in market price/value? 360 Spider vs. Murcie...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Clax, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    OK, here is a question for my F-Chat friends...

What is your opinion on the difference in market price/value between these 2 cars:

2002 360 F1 Spider - 5000 miles
    2002 Murcielago - 1800 miles

Both mint condition.

Your input is greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    What are the prices your getting quoted? The Murci will continue to depreciate, but slower than it has till now. The 360 is a scary proposition. I wouldnt pay anymore than 200 for the Murci. While the 360 id be iffy at 140K. The Spider may or may not be worth more to some, but id want to leave myself personally a way out since i wouldnt keep the car for a long time.

3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've seen examples of both cars for $219k (asking price)

The Lambo falls faster when new, because you don't have to wait in line.
    But then it firms up and holds value like any other exotic.

Ferrari's game of under supplying the market helps keep new car value up for the frist few years but then it falls just as fast till it levels out.

if its a short term buy, less than 2 yrs, get the 2002 360 spider for $205k

if its to keep the car for more than 3 yrs, get the 2002 Murci for $205k

4. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Actually, I own the 2002 360 F1 Spider. I am looking to potentially make a trade for the 2002 Murcie, and I'm trying to figure out what the market value dollar difference is between the 2 cars.

So, if you owned my car, and wanted the Murcie, what should I pay (over and above the value of my Spider)?

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

What are dealers giving you as a trade in on the 360?

6. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    C'mon now, no hints. I want your opinion, and our fellow F-Chatters. What do you think is a fair number Allan?

7. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    clax, i'm in the same situation with my modena. i would say it would be worthwhile to trade-in your spider and another 15K max. BUT the murci has a much higher list price then the spider so the dealer will want a bigger spread, probably 40-50K.

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Dont know. Only experience i have of a 360 Spider trade in is Taek's and his car is a low mile perfect color combo, which he paid approx 140,000 for, and i know dealers were giving him less. So id base my difference on those numbers, but id also try and buy a Murcielago at 190,000 .

Lambo dealers will also undoubtedly come down harder on your trade than Ferrari dealers. Every Lambo dealer i know is stocked full of them, and some refuse to take them on trades, unless they are well protected.

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    This scenario will never happen.

10. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    i would agree allan. i'm thinking more u sell the spider retail, then try to buy the murci wholesale. i'm almost there with my coupe. about 70k difference right now. but a spider would obviously be alot closer

11. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    How in the world can you have a dialogue with an individual who is telling you that a 2002 Spider with 5000 miles is worth $140,000?

Your Spider is worth around $210,000. The Murci with the introduction of the Galllardo has been hit with big time depreciation. Its little brother/sister performs as well for about $100,000 less. Many people do not know the difference between the two cars. Thus the price point narrows between them.

12. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Clax,

just curious, have your driven a murice?

13. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

So basically you are saying he can sell the car for 210 and then buy a Murci for less and make money on the deal? Good luck. Sell the spider outright and forget the trade if you want any more than 165-170 from a dealer. The days of people paying 200k for the spiders are done.

14. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    I would think if you sell your spider retail then you can probably get a murcie either for the same money or a bit more.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    nberry, a 360 Spider for $205k in this market ? How many do you want and in what colors ? Let me know as I'll buy as many as you want if you will pay me $205k for each one.

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    IMHO.
    The 360 Spyder, when the top works, is a nice car for a sunny day but it's no where near a Murcie.
    That said the Murcie has NO interior storage space, glove box or pockets which is a deal breaker for me.
    $?
    I think 150K wholesale for the 360, 175k wholeasale for a Murcie.
    Retail 175K 360, 200K Murcie.
    Both of these prices will fall over the next several months.

17. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    If anyone wants a laugh, think back to the first 360 spyder (that I saw) in I guess it would be 2000, in the DPR, it was listed as for sale at...gasp...$350,000!!! hehehe. It was black/black, but it DID have the F1 tranny, so maybe that was the $200K difference:)

18. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I wish the uninformed would stop posting when a discussion regarding prices of Ferrari's arises. I just looked at the latest Autoweek classifieds and only one Spider was listed under $200,000. It is a 2001 6 speed and I am not sure if it is a US model. The listing was for 189,500 FIRM!!!

I know most will argue that those are asking prices but lets get real. What is happening (on this site) are people who covet Ferrari's or own older models are engaging in wishful thinking hoping to drive prices down.

Lets cut the bull and maintain some credibility on this board!

19. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    nberry, with all due respect, i think you are completely out of touch with the market. there are HUNDREDS of spiders for sale with ridiculous prices that are not selling. simply call up a dealer, tell him you have a spider and ask him what he will give you for it. you will be very surprised. the market is soft on every high end car right now, it's not a knock against the spider. i have a modena, my second one, and i love the car but i'm telling you, there is a very soft market right now for the spider.

in toronto, you can call the dealer and get new spider, at list, in 4-6 months.

there is more than one broker in the US that can find you a spider, with very low miles for list.

those are the facts.

20. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Two days ago the Wall Street Journal had an article on how the upper end products including cars are now in demand. They specifically mentions cars as one of the hot items. Every classified ad you review show the Spider listed over MSRP.

Yet you and others on this board (including one claiming it is only worth $140,000) insist the car value is in a steep fall. Exactly who is out of touch?

I do not claim there has not been a soften of the price but based on some of the post here one would think there is a fire sale.

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The WSJ article mentioned a 28 year old dude buying a Gallardo for 160K.
    As far as I know that's below msrp.
    Taek bought a spyder for 140K. That is fact.
    Hey you want a spyder? You'll pay 205K? Make Frank's day.

22. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    just for the sake of it, why dont you phone your local ferrari dealer, or even a high end car dealer, and ask him what he would give you for an 02 or 03 spider ?

it could be possible your geographical region is still strong. and i dont think there is a fire sale at all. for a car to still be selling for list after even 6 months is UNREAL. most cars drop 20% the second they come off the lot

23. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    John:

you should keep in mind that the price of $210K for Clax's 360 spyder is retail and not wholesale. Obviously the dealer wants to steel the car on a trade in and would give you $180K-$190K on a trade in if lucky. Dealers don't need to tie up money on a used 360 while they can get them on consignment and doesn't cost them a penny. but you have to agree that $140K is a little off base for this car.

24. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    yup......it seems low. i don't think anybody is going to killed on a spider, i just don't think anybody is getting 30-50k over anymore

25. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    You need to get with the program. The 2002 red/tan 360 spider im referring to was purchased by a memeber of this board, for exactly this price.

I know of another new SPider which was purchased for Msrp from the dealer. Get off the crack, and quit trying to convince yourself.