Transfer case gears 308 | FerrariChat

Transfer case gears 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gianluca, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Need some help.
    I am reassembling the 3 gears that need to come out during a clutch replacement. The top a bottom gears have the ring nuts that require a special tool.
    The bottom gear ring nut was torqued snugly but the top ring nut was totally slack. I could rock it back and foth with my fingers. The "locking tabs" were, however, engaged so the the nut could not have loosened by itself.
    It this correct? Should there be no torque on the top nut? If this is wrong, how much torque should I apply?
    Thanks.

2. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    no--they are both to be quite tight--you will need to check in the back of the service manual and the torques will be listed. Since ALL of the power has to go thru them--better not allow and movement.

also be careful how you install the gears--the bottom one goes in backward from the way you would think--if i recall the longer sholder side goes OUT.And load up the gear oil on them before cranking---

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Page M6 in the 308GT4 WSM shows 20 Kg-m (144 ft-lb) for the M30 x 1.5P "Ring nut, clutch shaft" (and other similar-sized ring nuts in the gearbox are in the same torque ballpark).

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
  5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Please note that it is generally recommended to replace the ring nuts when you remove them. If one does come off and allows a gear to loosen, the resulting damage will cost you many thousands of dollars! (Ask me how I know!!!)

6. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Thank you all.
    Love this place!

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I asked my mechanic if the ring nuts would need replacing. He said, "It depends upon who was in there last......."

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    4re gt4, I agree. If the ring nuts (heh heh...he said "nuts"!) have been bent and re bent several times, I would replace them. If they are in pretty decent shape, they can probably be reused, but it is not recommended by Ferrari.

The guy who had my car before me recycled a ring nut, which loosened and came off under load. The middle gear in the three gear set then came off and punched a hole in the transfer case cover. The transfer case cover was able to be repaired but the gear needed to be replaced by me when I got the car. The gears are only sold new in sets at $3,000 a set. I was lucky to get a perfect condition used gear for $600. Needless to say, the cost of a new ring nut is nothing (even at twenty something bucks that they get for them) compared with the cost of failure!!

Now I have a killer Ferrari paperweight...a cracked transfer gear!

Birdman