Jim Hall Chaparral Gallery | FerrariChat

Jim Hall Chaparral Gallery

Discussion in 'Texas' started by writerguy, Jan 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #1 writerguy, Jan 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is opening in April 15-17 out in Midland Anyone thinking about making a long drive please let me know.

If you don't remember the name this should jog your memory
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    It's a short drive for me. 2 hours from Lubbock, so I will be there.

I met Jim Hall when I was 12 years old. It was during the Can Am heyday and my uncle lived in Midland. Every time we went down to visit I begged my dad to drive out to the Chaparral shop just hoping I could get a peek. Well on a particular Sunday afternoon, I pleaded with my dad to drive out and just peek through the fence. Sure enough, I was peeking through a gap in the gate and a tall, slender man looked back though the gap and asked if he could help. I got so flustered I couldn't speak, so my dad told the man that I was the biggest Jim Hall fan in the whole world. Told him I had Chaparral pictures all over my walls and I could quote his finishes at almost any CanAm race. The man opened the gate and introduced himself as Jim Hall and asked if I would care to see the place and meet some of the guys.

Probably the greatest day of my young life.

I will definitely be there.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Contemplating it. Lots of things going on during that timeframe which might take priority (unforutnately).

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Gotta tell you after spending a week out there with those cars and Rattlesnake Raceway my already great apreaciation for what he did just went up a couple of notches.

Also seen in Midland

1 Customised Lambo Mercy (now 2 wheel drive and no Traction Control)
    1 Mclaren F1
    1 Enzo

250 GTO

750 Monza Race Ferrari
    1937 Jaguar
    Mercedes SL 300 Gullwing
    MG TC
    Couple of Lotus Formula 1 cars from the 50's or 60's

AND A STARBUCKS!
    I was really happy to find one of those
    All will be at the event

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Opening for those 3 days only? Or that's its grand opening and it will be open from then on?

April 16-18 (Fri-Sun) is Fiesta Ferrari in San Antonio... which I am booked for... but I guess I could extend the trip a day and go to San Antonio by way of Midland.

Hmmmm...

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What do you mean, "probably"? Man...

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Grand opening is then.

Also in midland The CAF (Confederate (whoops i mean Comemoritave) Air Force) One of the coolest Grease and wrenches places I have seen....

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Brain, maybe we could run out there after SA?

DrTax

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Maybe... that's why I was curious on the 15-17th dates... might not be open on the 18th (Sunday)... so, the question will be if its open Monday morning the 19th... and if so, what we miss by going the 19th rather than the 15th/16th.

What's special for the Grand Opening event?? (Besides the larger crowd?)

10. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    My friend with the McLaren F1 lives in Midland also. The F1 is in the shop having the gearbox repaired so you must have seen another one. I do not know another person out there with one. He also has an Enzo, so I would bet he will be there. He knows Jim Hall very well. All the oil guys there know each other.

Writerguy,
    Email me personally and I will get you his contact info. He knows of a lot of neat car stuff out there. I can also put you in contact with the past President of the Confederate (I mean Commemorative) Air Force.

BTW, I managed the BMW store in Odessa (20 miles west of Midland) for eight years. This is where I know all these guys from...................

11. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
  12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    The opening includes a Q&A with some "Racing Legends" And from working on the list with the Gallery staff I don't think you will be dissapointed with the turnout

13. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Jim,

I cannot remember if it is still operating there or not but VDS Racing Engines had a facility on Hwy 80, just 1/2 mile east of the Midland/Odessa International Airport. This is the company that supplied Chevrolet with its Indy racing engines back in the late 80's/early 90's. I cannot remember his last name but the man behind this engine development program was "Hans".

I attended the opening of the facility and all the Chevrolet racing guys were there. AJ, not my favorite, was there to inject his thoughts, as always. You might check to see if it is still operating. If it is, you might want to try to schedule a visit there while in Midland.

The Petroleum Museum is a very interesting place to visit even without the Chaparral Gallery. I have been a number of times as the exhibits change regularly.

14. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Jim,

It is Franz not Hans as I said above. Franz Weiss. Here is a link about him and the operation. Apparently it is still open and they build IRL engines there now. He originally built engines for the Chaparral.

www.oaoa.com/sports/racin050902.htm

15. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    James,
    Did you happen to know the Stovalls? They owned the Renault/Subaru dealership in Midland back in the '70's and early 80's.

16. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Knew of the Stovalls but did not know them personally. I moved to Odessa in 1984 and began working with BMW there in 1986. The Stovalls had ceased operations by the time I started. Sorry.........

17. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    no biggie, just curious. They moved into the scuba business around '83. Hard to believe that they could make more money selling scuba gear in a desert than selling cars...

18. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    You have to remember they were selling Subarus (pre WRX) and Renaults. Not exactly headturners, especially back then.

At one time the Midland/Odessa had the largest concentration of boats per capita of any area in the US. Nearly every driveway had one. Everyone headed out of town for the weekends. Nothing to keep them in town.

I do remember the Stovall Dive Shop. I actually went in there once. Did not realize it was the same Stovall.

19. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    The engine shop is there and the folks from the Petrol museum put me toghter with them while I was out that way.....

BTW just saw Gucippi looks like life is treating him well....

20. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Driverguy:

It is Giuseppe. I am sure he would like to see it spelled right. Kind of like Masarati :>)

21. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    If I can figure out a way to be there, I would, Jim Hall is my hero.