F#@KING MORTAR ATTACKS!!! | FerrariChat

F#@KING MORTAR ATTACKS!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by hoffmeister, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Hello all,

Just thought I'd vent a little...

This had been the third time that we've come under attack here at the Presidential Palace here in Iraq. The first time I was at work when I heard a loud bang outside and everyone rushed into the basement for an hour. The second time (the following night) I actually had some time off and was taking a nap at around 7:45pm in my trailer behind the palace when I heard a BOOM very close that woke me up from a dead sleep and again had to run into the basement for another hour. And now tonight, again on my time off. I 'thought' I heard an air horn blast that indicates an attack, but it wasn't very loud. So I threw on some shoes and grabbed my ID badge and stuck my head outside the trailer. Hearing no sounds I went back into my room and sat down for a few seconds and then I 'thought' I heard another air horn blast. I got back up and stuck my head outside again only to hear a "whooshing" noise as if a small plane had flow overhead and then a HUGE BOOM!!! Then I heard Marines yelling from the palace doors "Everyone get inside the palace!" WTF?? Don't they know I trying to get some rest??? F#@king bastards!! Well, going to try and go back to sleep. Thanks for listening to me vent.

Still kicking,

Jesse
    Coalition Provisional Authority
    Baghdad Presidential Palace Iraq

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Be safe! We're thinking about you!

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    There you are! Vent all you want.
    You're on a lot of minds every day. Be safe.

4. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    That is SOOOOOOO cool.

(it an f'ed-up, adventurous, I-wish-I-wasn't-stuck-in-this-cube kinda way.)

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yes, please take care. I'm sure that it must be frustrating to have to sit there and let the other guys just take pot shots at you. Just remember that the folks at home haven't forgotten about all you guys and gals. With any kind of luck, you'll all be coming home soon.

Dale

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Stay safe Jesse! My thoughts are with you.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    yea stay safe!!!!!!......... maybe throw a few grenades back at em....... ok never mind there may may be " civilians" on the other side of the wall....i almost took an aircraft job " over there" in the mid east.... i am glad i didnt leave since it seems to be getting worse. take care of yourself and vent all you want. id be honored to chat with you if it would help!!!!!!

8. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    All,

Thanks for the kind words. It's 1:20 am here. Still can't sleep...but gotta try.

Take care,

Jesse

9. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I talked to a friend over there in Ira earlier and he said pretty much the exact same thing. Random people trying to blow everyone up. Keep your head down and your spirits up. We all appreciate what your doing:)

10. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Take care Jesse! Stay safe!

Just keep thinking you have a nice Ferrari waiting for you at home :)

11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    G/D Bless.

We support the troops "and" their rightous mission.

Ralph
    21 Bravo

12. ART360

ART360 Guest

Jessie:

Make sure that you stay safe. There are no points in getting hurt or killed in this deal.

Art

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Jessie, stay safe and I hope you can get in some needed shut-eye when you can.

There are many who like to chat, you could check out the screen name thread in the old message archives. My info is in there. That is, if the ports aren't being blocked - you can get to F-chat sounds like your on the UNCLAS backbone to me! :)

Sunny

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    nothign scarier that hearing that whoosh and not knowing the exact location its gonna land.i was a 0341 mortar man in the marines a 81 mm can be very destructive on enemy forces.at least your under the care of Marines.

15. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    It goes without saying that i wish you all the best.

I have a question about the security there and including the airport. I have read every book i could find about the vietnam war written by combat veterans, especially LRRP's. It seemed very effective when small lrrp teams, 6 men, would patrol and set-up ambushes along trails in the bush and beat the VC at their own game. I know the terrain is somewhat different there but the principle is the same. Lay in wait under cover and then nail the guerrillas as they prepare to strike. For fields around the airport lay in gullys and for more built up areas lie on rooftops 24 hrs/day.

Avoid anything shiny at night. Best of luck to you.
    T

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Marine Recon teams did alot of that type of stuff tehy ended up becoming such a problem the NVA had to form Anti-Recon teams to try to stop them.A small and very well trained and Disciplined group of fighters can be very effective against a force of even 3 times there size.

and also racerx is you like reading about Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols and the such you should get the book Never Without Heroes By Lawrence C. Vetter JR.. Its not about the LRRP's but its about Marine Recon.One of the better books Ive read on the subject.

17. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Those books are the most interesting,chilling, and adventurous accounts of human experience that one can read. 10x better than any action movie or thriller. The environment, the interaction with the cunning enemy, and the odd occurences (tiger attacks, lighntning hitting the extended antennae of a teams radio knocking everyone out big time). Firebases almost overrun but saved by 105mm "beehive" rounds. I have read marine recon teams accounts along with many from the 101st and 75th rangers. Blood on the risers i think is one title.

My first cousin was a marine recon team member during the height of the war around tet times. They wanted him to instruct after his tour in use of the m-60.

To Jesse, all US personnel including bremmer should vary their schedules and not do the same thing at the same time everyday.
    T

18. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    do you know what batallion your cousin was in.The book i mentioned focuses alot around that time period.Be interresting if he was mentioned in there.Also he may even be mentioned in the back of it

19. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    No i do not remember. I have spoken to him a couple of times about it, once when i was starting to go down that path, but he is like many combat vets that you hear about. He is naturally not a big talker (meaning not talkative) but pressed he would only say how very serious and deadly it was and how he moved on. His demeanor is what i would expect from someone who had experienced that and NOT been broken by it - calm, icy, calculating stare. Like an eastwood type but for real.
    T