Want to drive your car fast-legally??? | FerrariChat

Want to drive your car fast-legally???

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Check this out. I know of several races in the past where some of the "Street Cars" were clocked above 190 mph/

www.oaoa.com/sports/racetrackmap.htm

This is in far West Texas near Big Bend. Way out in the boonies..........

2. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    They had a whole part about it in the Extreme Machines:Supercars special on tlc i think.It looked pretty interesting too bad I'm nowhere near texas.

3. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have it on tape. The gentleman they highlight on that show is on Ferrarichat. I'm sure he'll come forward and tell some stories.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The rules are similar to the Silver State Classis Road Race: see:
    http://www.silverstateclassic.com/2003rules/2003-rules.pdf

A) Touring Class 124 MPH top speed, must carry Fire Extinguisher
    B) Grand Touring Class 140 MPH top speed, competition license, must carry fire extinguisher, must have 5-point or 6-point seat belts not more than 3 years old, must have competition approved roll cage
    C) Grand Sport 164 MPH , built in fire system, fuel cell, roll cage, Nomex suit, head supports, arm restraints...
    D) Super Sport 180 MPH, basically a full race car with a full race driver

So don't drive up and expect to run over 120 MPH unless the car has been prepaired, you are properly attired, and licensed.

There are two or more radar detectors in use on the course, if you exceede the class limit, you get a ticket for the actual speed! and generally go to jail.

5. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I can't remember the last time anyone called me a Gentleman! :) LOL
    If you are looking for stories, you can do an internet search on Rick Doria, there should be lot's of them about my Open Road racing adventures. I currently hold the record for recorded top speed on an open hwy at 227mph in a modified Corvette.
    If you would like more info on these types of events, check out www.silverstateclassic.com or www.openroadracing.com
    We are currently looking for a set of Euro 11/31 diff gears for my F40 so we can get her clocked at over 200 mph at one of these events. If anyone knows of where I can find a set or a euro gearbox, please let me know. I am also looking for 2 18x11 speedline wheels for an F40.

Rick

6. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    This statement is not true. In the 12 years I have been involved, no one has recieved a ticket on the course during a race. They would threaten to do so at the drivers meeting, but it has never happened. All they do is DQ you and refuse to post or tell you your speed.

Rick

7. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Mitch I've run this race many times..let me point out several errors in your post please.

Safety equipment has exceptions i.e Viper coupes can run 150 target speed 165 tech without even a rollbar! Rollcages ARE NOT REQUIRED unless you are seeking 180 tech speed.Fuel cells are NOT REQUIRED unless 180 tech speed.
    Competition Licensing NOT REQUIRED where you indicated!Built in fire systems are NOT REQUIRED unless you are trying to go 180 tech speed!

Rollcages are not required in 165 tech speed class just Rollbars!!

Yes they put out the BS about tickets but it has NEVER happened as far as I know.

Quit trying to scare people away from participating with mis-information.

8. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Rick are you taking the F40 in the SSC? Seems that car would be even more comfortable at those speeds than your super-hopped-up Vette.

Kevin

9. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    It would be nice to see a "serious "Ferrari at Silverstate not a 125 target speed 360!
    Can't really understand why someone that drives a Ferrari what not "jump" at the chance to drive these cars "at speed"! Lot of posers I guess??????

10. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    I wouldnt want to place a roll bar in my street car or be speed limited without one. Limit at 180 with no roll cage/bar and I'm in. Frankly, your chance of surviving a crash at 180 or 160 with or without a roll cage in a street car is probably very small. It would be a good event for that CC if you still had it!

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Okay, so now I'm confused... for a stock 360 with no rollbar, but a fire extinguisher... and a non-race-licensed DE-track driver in full nomex... what's the speed limit??

12. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Thats what I mean from my previous post. Sounds like your in the 120 class. (not worth the trip eh?)

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The sad truth is that even if the car will go 180, and there are quite a few that will, it is incredibly UNSAFE unless the car has been fitted with a proper roll cage and harness. There are club track day type events where they will let you drive fast, but they are specifically not intended as competition (may do not allow stop watches) and driving near the limits is strongly discouraged and generally results in a black flag. That’s because it’s extremely dangerous. If the car leaves the track sever injury or death is often the result. 120 is about as fast I would want to go in any car that has not been prepared, street or track event. A crash at 120 is 4 times worse than at 60 (KE=1/2 mv^2), at 180 it's 9 times worse. There won't be much left.....

14. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    145 tech speed but youll need 5 point belts, fire ext,driving suit gloves socks,shoes, helmet
    no special racing license.

15. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Sounds awesome to me.

16. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Tried to enter the competiton coupe last year. The techs were unfamiliar with the rollcage construction so wouldn't pass tech. Since it was on a Saturday I couldn't contact the Engineers at Dodge to verify integrity
    of construction. I got pissed got in car and drove500 plus miles to Riverside
    on the freeways with my tow vehicle in pursuit!
    Subsequently the Dodge people set the Silverstate guys straight but
    it did me no good for that weekend!

17. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    So, for 145, they require 5-point belts but do NOT require a rollbar??

That's just stupid... never put 5-point belts in your car unless you have either a rollbar or a deathwish.

So, without 5-point belts, in my question above, would I be in 120mph class?

18. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Brian you don't want to go anything less than 145 tech...why because I
    had to last year in 996tt before my cage arrived. VERY BORING for me at least at 145. I had it on cruise control 95% of the 90 mile course.
    If you don't have 5 points I think 124MPH limit. Amost everybody has these!

19. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Maybe I missed it earlier but are there classes for bikes? That would be super cool.

20. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Understood... that's why I am trying to get clarification. I regularly do 130mph at the track... going into a 90' corner... cruising 120 down an empty highway isn't too difficult to manage... even 145 would have only moderate appeal... but coupled with a trip to the Chaparal museum and some other things, perhaps it would enhance a trip.

Now a top speed run on a long straight flat stretch of highway, with no incarceration worries... that would be VERY appealing. But it sounds like 185mph would require a few too many hurdles for now... though, I'll keep it in mind for a future situation.

21. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

You have 90 miles some 11-14 miles straight aways if you can't hit top speed there...oh well....The speed limits are for safetys sake but tough to stop you if you want to hang it out????

22. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    So you were the guy in the Black Viper that didn't run. Too bad we didn't get a chance to meet/talk. I have set the tech guys straight on a few Pantera issues. Maybe I could have been of some help. Drop me a line if you are going to go again.

Rick

23. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Kevin,
    My old Corvette would run 220-230mph. It was a YAWN at 200mph.
    MKM has killed the unlimited class and put a top speed of 200mph on ALL cars. The Corvette would be a bore there, so we may bring out the F40 just so we can say "yes, as a matter of fact, it does go 200 mph"
    But until I can do that I need a Euro 30/11 ring and pinion gear. Does anyone know were I may be able to find a set?

Rick

24. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

LOL,
    Wayne,
    Were you the guy in the Grey(?) 550 with the factory roll bar?

Rick
    PS The first cut in the car for the roll bar is the hardest. All the rest are EASY! :)

25. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Rick,

Did you try our good friend? I will see him tomorrow, most likely. I can ask then.

--Dan