Radios in 1960s V12s | FerrariChat

Radios in 1960s V12s

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by WillS, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Hello Listers,

A 1967 330GTC will be delivered to me next week. Oh Boyyy....! A childhood dream ever since "Enzo Ferrari" drove up in his GTC in a scene from "Grand Prix". Blue w/ biscuit interior, no rust, good mechanics.

The radio is some modern all-black looking thing that doesn't fit in with the rest of the interior. I would like to install a correct factory radio. I think it was a Becker or a Blaupunkt, but not sure of the model. Would you folks with 1960s 275/330/365 V12 coupes please let me know what kind of period correct make & model of radio you have in your Ferrari, particularly the GTC? And where your speakers are located? I will post a summary of the results. Thanks for the help.

WillS

2. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Congratulations on your purchase. Post some pictures. My car also had a modern radio at one time. I currently have a Becker Europa from that era. I have seen both Beckers and Blaupunkts in Ferrari of the 60s. There are two areas with perforations in my rear shelf panel with speakers mounted underneath. I bought the Becker for it's look and originality. I doubt that I will be concentrating on it's fidelity very much. By the way, my antenna was mounted on the right rear fender. I have filled the hole and am going to try a hidden antenna someplace.

3. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    Tom Yang's site has a link to a radio place that sells the appropriate type, or you might try ebay (I have seen some nice ones from time to time).

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congratulations on your car!

My 330 2+2 had a late 70's am/fm/cassette mounted in a really crappy carpeted home made console. I removed this and replaced with a regular Ferrari console - no radio now but one could be installed. Now I have to get rid of the two speakers with 6" round plastic grilles that are installed under the rear seat windows. This will entail removing the leather covered interior panels under the windows, patching the holes, and replacing the leather-which will leave me with a couple of nice big spare original pieces. As far as a radio is concerned, I think I will just look for a runner's-style single cd player with radio and mount it and two very small high power speakers inconspicuously under the dash. AA Battery power will be fine - that engine sounds too good to turn on a radio often.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 69 365 2+2 has a Blaupunkt radio, I'm not sure of the model (but I think it's original). It has speakers in the doors.

Also, a retractable power antenna with a switch under the dash.

7. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Pictures of the GTC can be found at:

http://www.pmautos.com/Cars/0047%201967%20Ferrari%20330%20GTC/ext/index.htm

I'm not sure how to post pictures on this forum, but there's alot of the interior, mechanics, and exterior at the above url. The engine was pulled to put in a new clutch and the engine bay was cleaned up while it was out. No smoke, and compressions, oil pressure, brakes and synchros are good. A new interior was installed as well. The old seats were pretty shot.

The way the antenna is mounted looks cool imho, but I'm not sure that it helps with reception to be tilted like that. I'm not going to change it though. Like Dave330gtc said, I'm not looking for any real performance out of an old radio, just want it to fit in with the rest of the car.

Thanks for the answers so far, the Becker Europa looks good and it appears to be a correct radio for the GTC. I saw another GTC with a Becker Mexico, a radio cassette player from the same era. It looks pretty similar to the Europa, but doesn't have the station preselects.

8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    When I sourced a radio for my 250 GTE (1963) I ended up getting two. This left me with an extra one. It needs a faceplate, and I am not sure if it needs to be repaired, or not (never tested it). It is a vintage Blaupunkt.
    PM, if you want it, next to free (symbollic donation and postage).

thx
    luke. SF, CA

9. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Luke,

Thanks much for the offer, but I like the look of the Becker Europa or Mexico and think I'll go in that direction.

Regards,
    Will

10. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#10 Bryan, Nov 29, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Mexico actually does have pre-sets. You push the bar on the top that says "Becker Mexico cassette". The only difference between this and most presets is that you can't jump from say Station 2 to Station 5...you have to cycle through the settings by continuing to push the bar.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have the original Blaupunkt radio in my car ... the electric antenna operates automatically when the radio is turned on. The speakers are inside of each door, without face plates ... only holes in the panels.

12. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I know it's not a good pic, but my 365 has a Blaupunkt AM/FM/8-Track.

13. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I forgot to mention that my speakers are located beneath the rear side windows, perforations no grille and the power antenna is a Hirschmann, with a large cast metal case in the trunk (I think that they were also used in some period MB's and Jags).

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James

Old news ... new poster ...

Congratulations on your GTC purchase; I've been enjoying mine for a couple of years. Regarding the radio issue: mine is mid-year 1967, with the original Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW. (nice tinny 'mid '60s tone!). Speakers are under package shelf in rear window, in sealed boxes in trunk space, with an 8" square of 1/4" holes perforating the leather on left and right sides. Antenna is right rear mounted, automatic electric, when you punch the 'on' button.

Love the center roof mount on your car!!! tres' vintage ....

(my car also came from San Diego, in '97)

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While the 330 came pre-wired for a radio, I believe they were all dealer installed options ? So many brands were used depending on what the customer wanted and/or the dealer had.

16. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    ******<Shameless plug>********

If anyone has a 330 2+2 or 365 2+2 with broken interior door release handles, they are available as pictured in the 365 2+2 thread, cnc machined from billet stock and triple chromed.

******</shameless plug>********

17. LJH

LJH Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jack Horner
    Our 1966 330 GT 2+2, s/n 8325, has a Becker Europa II AM/FM w/ separate push buttons for AM & FM. I believe radios were dealer installed options inthat era. Jack Horner

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Congratulations! More than any other model, when a member announces he's become the caretaker of a Ferrari - A 330GTC makes my day.

This is the Radio Link from Tom Yang's site, exactly as he describes it:

Radio Sales

Old Auto Radio
    http://www.oldautoradio.com/
    This business is located in Spain, and has a large selection of Blaupunkt Radios and other European models to choose from. He ships internationally for $35 USD, and uses Pay-Pal. Please let me know if you do any business with him, so I can give more information on his services.

19. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great site.
    Thanks

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey WillS, great minds must think alike cause I'm thinking of the same thing. :)

Tell us some more about the car. Namely, where you brought it, why did you buy this car, what you plan on doing with it, more, more, and more

Dr "GTC" Tax