Should I get 348/355 or 996TT? | FerrariChat

Should I get 348/355 or 996TT?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Salo, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salo

Salo Guest

Hello All,
    This is my first post.
    I am looking to replace a 996 cpe and currently have a 996TT on order.
    I have been thinking seriously of a 348 or 355 instead.
    There are many pros and cons for the Porsche and I'm aware of most of them.
    I need help and insight on the pros and cons of these two cars.
    Would a late model 348 be better than an earlier 355?
    I want to limit the cost at $75-100K.
    Will I experience a major service change? ie $1000 oil chang ,$10k service every 15k miles?
    Are ther any ex pcar people who have made the switch?

Any help or info is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    355 Spyder
    Oil change $100
    Service $5K

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    355!

PS, ignore Allan when he posts. :)

4. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Whelp there are a lot of things to look at here, but the first things that pop out to me are the following:

1. Service.

You put a priority on this, and rightfully so. With any F-car out of warranty you're looking into the barrel of a loaded gun. Does the 355 you select have a valve guide problem that the PPI didn't detect? Boom, $15k. Going for the F1 tranny? Within 5k miles it will likely need a clutch, Boom, $5k.

Those aren't the norm of course, but they do happen a LOT more frequently than most F-chatters will admit to here.

For me, if service is a priority to you, then the P-car (especially under warranty itself being new) is the best best by FAR. Why gamble?

2. Performance.

Comparing the 996 TT to a 348/355 is like comparing a rollar coaster ride to a kiddie teacup ride. Basically there's no comparison. HOWEVER, I feel the 355 is more go-kart like, and is more responsive in terms of steering feel and turn-in. Plus it feels lighter to me, so if you're sensitive to weight in your sportscars the 355 might appeal to you.

For me it's the 996. Too much juice to ignore, and the possibility of an EASY 550+HP for another $5k max.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) the F355 market has shifted towards you price limit ($80K for a well sorted car)
    B) the F355 is a lot more car than the F348 (at higher cost)
    C) I do my own oils at $40 for oil (10*$4.00) + $17 for the filter + $0.06 for the copper washer
    D) F355 majors are at 30K mileage, figure $5000 minimum + whatever needs fixing.

The 996 never lets you foget where the engine is.
    The 355 has a distinctly neutral balance under power.

The 996 can use its brakes with steering input
    The 355 does not like steering input under brakes

6. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    You didn't say what you aren't satisfied with in your 996.

If you just want more torque... if you want rocket ship take-off... but otherwise love your 996, then the 996TT is for you.

If, however, what you're hoping to find is something that is more exhilirating to drive... something that gives you sensory overload as you approach it... and then exceeds that when you drive it... if you want something that really turns heads... get the 355... you will NOT regret it!

You can easily find a good 355 in your price range, and still have $$ left over to do the next major service. But make sure you think about it that way... that'll avoid sticker shock or regrets when that major service comes around.

HTH.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would second Brian's comment adding that the sound of a Tubi exhaust-equipped 355 is Car Guy Nirvana.

Another factor *could* be your location - which you haven't indicated - you could be somewhere Porsche is somewhat more commonplace... ie. for me I've counted over 8 various Porsches owned within a 2 block radius from my apt and 400,000 Audis, but no Ferraris to be seen - although one Vanquish. It's a small thing not related to the actual driving experience and repair bills, but if you're the type of person who enjoys some bling and being different that might be a factor going for the 355.

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I had both, a 348 and a 355, and trade them for a 996TT at anytime.

Mako, for 500.00 Upsolute will sell you a chip for the 996TT that bumps power 100hp and 85ft/lbs of torque.

9. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Hi Salo:
    Over the years I've gone from a 911SC Targa to a 328 GTS then back to a 993 cabrio, now to a 348 ts.

The 996TT is in a different league than a normally-aspirated car. Having said that, my Porsches were solidly reliable, but as a weekend car, the Ferrari is just so much more fun that I can't imagine going back to a Porsche. The exception would be if I had to choose only one car that served dual purposes (daily driver/weekend fun) then I might reconsider.

As for maintenance cost comparisons, I do my own oil changes and minor services so for me the cost is about the same. Majors on the 993 were almost as much as would be expected on the 348. Lastly, I see Porsches every day where I live (and this town is not exactly metropolitan) and so I like the fact that my weekend car is a little more special. In short, the Ferrari gets the looks hands down.

Good luck whatever you decide, you can't go wrong either way as they are all great cars!
    Shan

10. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Salo,
    I had the same dilema 3 months ago. I was choosing between a 996TT Cabrio. and the 355 spider. The porsche wasw just too civilized. My wife loved the nav and all the pretty bells and whistles but the car was just disconnected from the driving experience. It was boring, very fast , but boring. No one even noticed it as I drove around town. I also drove the Gallardo, felt like a really fast corvette. No good sound and marginal quality. Anyway, i bought a 355spider and can't get enough. It is lust on wheels and everyone knows it. My friend described his drive in it last weekend as, being like a celebrity rock star. We were at the superbowl last weekend and it is the only thing that would pull peoples attention away from the arriving limos. I desribe it as dating a drug addicted, shopaholic, nymphomanic, bi-sexual supermodel. She may be expensive but no one else on the block has one and shes a wild ride. Good luck. Here's my lady.

11. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    salo:

i have a TT and i would trade it in a heartbeat for a 355 - reason i don't is b/c i drive the TT everyday to work and even though a 355 would be cheaper, the "you drive a ferrari" would just be too much to deal with at work, for the time being. main reason why the 360 sits at home all day :(

the TT is fast as hell, but it's kinda boring to drive. the ONLY thing the TT has on the 355 is it's practicalness, IMO.

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    all comes down to what youre looking for. i had similar choices and went with 348 spider as best value, most beautiful, good for local commut, occasional track events,... no regrets.

in general, p vs f has been beaten to death here and in p websites but imo, p will be more practical and faster and f more beautiful and involving esp engine sound.

specifically, 996tt is amazing stock and easily modified to insanity. can be used 12 months including snow with appropriate tires. svc can be expensive at dealer but more independents to choose from vs f. f maintence not as crazy as rumored. engine out belts about 5 years/$5k if use car regularly, 3 yrs if just sits as trailer queen. i use mine 12 months but obviously not when snow on ground.

348 vs 355 just debated here last week. 348's about $50k for coupe, $65 spider. add $30k more for 355. tt should be about same $ as 355 spider but only as coupe unless getting new $140 tt cabrio.

13. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Consider a GT 3 as well, to make things more confusing. I had a 348 spider (my first F car- a blast to drive, no power steering, like a little powerful go-cart) and a 355 (GTS-f1), which was far more car, but, at least with the F1, a little less involving to drive. I have no seat time in a regular TT, but own a GT-2, and with rear wheel drive only, no traction, etc., it is very involving to drive. But, even "used" its still more than 100k. The GT-3 is supposed to be a hoot to drive, with alot of the older porsche virtues, even if it doesn't have the power of the GT-2. If it were a question of the aesthetic and tactile experience, rather than outright performance, i'd probably say 355, but, its a personal choice. As to service, expect everything to cost. Biggest factor in avoiding unnecessary costs: be really critical about the car you buy.

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i traded a 996 C2 Cab on my 355 Spider (subsequently traded on an S55), and i traded a 996 TT on my 550.

imo, a huge part of your decision is based on geography. if you're close to someone who can fix your ferrari that is relevant.

a friend of mine in el paso was deciding between the same two cars and went with the 996TT because there was virtually no place to get a 355 maintained down there.

i'm lucky to have an independent and a dealer within 12 miles of my home.

the previous comment re: "driving to work" is a good one. i took and take my f-cars to the office, but only 'cuz i have means of parking them unobrusively. i never worried about my 966s at the office regardless of how they were parked.

fwiw, i got rid of my 996TT largely because i was sick of the e-gas and awd.

for daily driver, the 996 is definitely a better option, imo. you can do daily driver in a 355 (or any other f-car) but it's going to cost you in the end.

doody.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Ty and Alan Henson pretty much summed it up.

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I own both a 360 and a very heavily modified 996tt, and have spent a good deal of time behind the wheel of a 355. My experience, (I will relate this to when my tt was stock), the 996tt is far more forgiving though less involving to drive (not nearly as much driver feedback). For 100k you could get yourself a very nice 02 996tt, as much as I love Ferrari, that might be very hard to pass up. Others here have brought up the distance to service factor, I'd agree that would be an issue. I'd go drive a 355 than a 996tt and see which one makes you smile the most.

17. Salo

Salo Guest

Thanks to all for the replies- I'll try to answer a few of your questions.
    I'm happy with the 996 ,but now I'm looking for something extra.
    No matter what I choose it will be a weekend drive only and probably
    no or little track use.

The closest F dealer and service provider is 125 miles away, although I have several P dealers nearby.( this has been a factor in my thinking)
    I have only seen 2 F cars in last 10 years, so a 355 would be exclusive.

I'm looking for the most fun on a Sat or Sun drive , I'll probably put
    5k miles a year. But I don't want to put $5-10k a year in maintenance.
    (Several P car boards have touted those/similar figures)

The TT cab I have on order is about $140k,that's why I thought a 355
    for $100k would get me as much fun with some cash to spare.
    If I could swing a 360 I would not be asking for advice.
    Thanks again.

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    You can get a 360 for the price of that TT Cab, unless you want a spider.

19. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    If you can, get the 360. It's a different car altogether. I had a 328GTS and an F355 before and they can't compare to the 360. I also have a GT3 and though I enjoy the car, it feels bland compared to the 360.

20. Salo

Salo Guest

It has to be a spider.

21. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I have owned a 996 C2 Cab, 355 and 360. If depreciation is a factor, stay away from a new Porsche. They drop like a rock for the first 2 years. You can pick up a 2002 TT X50 for less than $100K. I have never driven one, but the car has been described as a speed appliance with no real driving "fun". If it's a toss up between the 348 and 355, definately get the 355. Both are great cars, but the 355 has a lot more power and handles and brakes much better. The only thing that is better on a 348 is the steering (no power assist). Feel free to email me for more info....

22. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    $3K-$6K/year would be a bit more reasonable... though, if something bad happens, $10K in a particular year is certainly possible.

But consider that you'll be spending an extra $10K or more in depreciation per year for the first several years of owning a 996TT vs. a 355.

If you keep the car for 5 years, you'll very likely lose more on the 996TT than on the 355, if you add depreciation costs to the maintenance costs. If you keep them for 20 years, the 996TT will probably end up being cheaper... but that's pretty iffy...

Given the much higher value of the 355 (given your stated goals and usage), I think the 355 is the car for you... or a used 360.

23. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I have had them both 355 and 996tt... if you purchase the 996tt used for under $85,000 for a low mile 01 then you are doing well. If you want the look and sound then go for the 355... more fun to drive IMHO.

24. Salo

Salo Guest

Thanks to all for the advice.
    I will now concentrate on finding a 355 Spider.
    Red/Tan will be perfect.

25. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Nice choice Salo. Life is about the journey,not the destination. While many sports cars may get you there faster, very few can compare to the feeling, the looks, the smells and the sound of a top down 8000rpm wail of a Ferrari. It is beautiful music. I have driven most of the modern exotics and none make me smile like the Ferrari. I guess thats what it's all about. What ever makes you grin the most. I wwas about to buy the P turbo cab also. Thank god I didn't. Good luck. Have fun.