Have you ever been in Maranello, Ferrari's hometown? | FerrariChat

Have you ever been in Maranello, Ferrari's hometown?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by alx355gt, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Have you ever visited Maranello, Ferrari' s hometown?

1. Yes, without factory visit

2. Yes, with factory visit

3. No, but someday I will

4. No, and not intressted

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I've been there twice and I wonder how far someone is prepared to travel to get there.

Sorry, I really like those polls, stop me if it gets annoying :)

2. borsari

borsari Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Call me lucky but in 1978, not speaking more than 10 words of Italian, I got a personal tour of the factory and afterwards our group had a glass of wine with Enzo himself.

Back in the 70's and 80's I visited the factory a few times, it was easy since I knew a couple guys, even took pics inside.

Now . . . forget it !

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    call me unlucky! almost 20 yrs ago on honeymoon i was driving from venice to lake como and stopped in modena for visit. factory was closed! guess i need to go back.

4. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    I've been there once, one of the happiest days in my life :D

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No wonder, the factory is in Maranello...
    :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I ended up in front of a closed Scaglietti factory in Modena. But the gates of Ferrari in Maranello were open.

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  7. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    I was in Italy in the summer of 1999 and wanted dearly to go to Maranello and see the museum and factory. I did not know at the time that the factory closes during part of the summer. Anyways I will return. I'm planning on going back some time in 2007 to catch the museum, factory, and some 60th anniversary celebrations.

8. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My Christmas present a year ago (Dec2002) was a trip to Italy to the San Marino Grand Prix. My wife went thru Grand Prix Tours. We had great time. My first F1 race. Had a meet & greet with Phil Hill. Went to the museum..the Shop...spent a few days in Bellagio on Lake Como...oh yeah..went on the Concorde...NY to Paris..so cool...

Bill in San Diego

ps..currently searching for a 550

9. pk328

pk328 Karting

Oct 16, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I went in 1995 when on a trip to the San Marino Grand Prix. No chance of a factory tour but the security guards did take pictures for me in the foyer with a F512M and an F1 car.

After the factory, I made my way to Fiorano. The gates were open so I walked in only to be confronted by an irate security guard. In my best broken Italian I explained that I was a Ferrari fan, just hoping to take a couple of snaps. He waved me through and I had a good look around the place and even though no cars were running at the time, it was a wonderful moment.

10. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi
    me sitting at Enzo's desk.

11. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi

12. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Nice try Costas....everyone knows that the number 27 office is closed.Its off limits and never used.

14. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    i hope to go to modena this summer

15. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    I'll be going to Modena-Maranello this spring.

JMJ

PS: also Florence.

16. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    No, I have not. Someday I hope to visit the peace loving Europeans. Until then, I can only drive what their build.

17. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
  18. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Yes, have been there twice. On my first visit after the factory tour I was speaking to a nice American who worked for Ferrari. I told him I had to come back the next day. When he said why. I said I have to see the museum and it's closed on Mondays. He said one moment, picked up the phone, called across the street, hung up and said "done". I said what. He said go across it's now open for you. I couldn't believe it, I had the entire place to myself. No crowds. Nobody in my way while I was taking pictures.I will always be grateful to I believe his name was Anthony for his favor. Before the tour he brought out all the brochures on all the current models and some keychains and stuff. Great trip. Want to do it again. This was the time when I got some great photos of the development 360 with all the panels hung all over it so you couldn't tell what it was.

19. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Thanks for the worldwide answers.

This summer I'm going back to Italy and off course I'll be in Maranello again (unfortunately still no visit, 'cause I'm still not an owner).
    But I'll enjoy my stay nevertheless, watch me at the fence of Fiorano! :)
    I don't know how many off you, know that the dead-end street is not the only good spotting place. You also have a nice view from the bridge (on the road where the factory entrance is, moving away from the center of Marranello) and even better; when you're in the dead-end street, go clockwise round the circuits hairpincorner you see there, so you'll end up on the other side (best done by car, or it's a bit walking), there's a little road with pebbles where you see the circuit from the other side, you can actually follow the fence for a while, so you can see different corners of the track, the bridge in the middle of the track and (better with binoculars but you can see it without then too) the formerhouse of Enzo and a little Shell-gasstation/pitstop where the F1car is if they're testing it and it's not driving around..

20. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Thanks also for the inside factory report-links! Very nice! A real treasure-cave :)

21. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    I had a black Enzo behind my rental car in Maranello (in October). My wife and I were driving to the test track after visiting the Ferrari store when I spotted Warm Up Marenello (a great model place) and just HAD to drive across the street to check it out, instead of turning right towards the track. As soon as I went through the intersection, what do I hear behind me?? Sure sounds like an F1 car to me!! Tearing around the corner (taking the right turn I SHOULD have taken) towards the test track is a sweet black Enzo! Immediate goose bumps! Fu**in' sweet! And then, Ouch my neck hurts from turning around so quick. hehe

22. joopjoldersma

joopjoldersma Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Joop Joldersma

Yes I have been there for the last 5 years. I like to wander around, visit the museum (it changes regularly) and with some luck see an F-1 on the track.

Joop

23. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I've been to the factory twice. Once in April 2000 and again in June 2002. The first was when I attended the Pilota course in Mugello and we went to Maranello first, staying at Modena for a couple of days. The second was when I attended the Advance Pilota in Fiorano.

Security is very strict in the factory compound and also in Fiorano. So I don't think anyone can ever get into Enzo office or quarters, let alone take photos in the there.

24. F1-F512M

F1-F512M Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    NH
    In 1983, when I was 10 years old, my grandparents took my brother and me to Italy and Switzerland. After visiting relatives in Bologna, we made our trek to the Ferrari, Maserati, and Lamborghini factories. At Ferrari, the workers were on lunch break and I remember waiting in the main lobby while my grandfather sweet talked the receptionist (in Italian of course)! I remember sitting under a huge Cavallino hanging on the wall and gawking at an older F1 car on display in the lobby. Since the workers were on lunch, we didn't get an official tour, but we were able to walk through some warehouses and saw lots of beautiful cars.

At Lamborghini in St. Agata, we were denied access by a security guard at the main entrance. But again, my grandfather sweet talked and literally begged the person to let us in. Eventually, we were taken to the main warehouse and assembly line area where they produced Countach's. We saw about a dozen completed Countach's parked in the warehouse and many more partially assembled on the assembly line. We also got to meet one of the designers at Lamborghini--I can't remember his name, but he was formerly involved in the design process of the Maserati Bora. Anywhoo, my grandfather was so excited to meet this prominent man that all of the pictures that he took are out of focus and blurry.

Visiting these factories was an unbelievable experience that truly sparked my passion for sports cars at a ripe young age.