Anyone in the market for a French Aircraft Carrier? | FerrariChat

Anyone in the market for a French Aircraft Carrier?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by yellowpad, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yellowpad

yellowpad Karting

Feb 17, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Full Name:
    Calvin
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL, let's see the Jonses keep up with that!

3. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    Where do you hang the white flag?

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    There was an Ex Uk one on Ebay back round Xmas

5. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I will not get my money from my Nigerian friend until after the auction ends. Anyway, $5.75 million is all I am getting for helping him with his money problems.

If you are talking about the Joneses that live down the way from me, I sure that their MiG could keep up.

6. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Well, I was looking for something a little newer. Something that I could take out for a Sunday cruise by myself.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    How much torque it got?

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This was a Royal Navy carrier built in WW2. I wonder which one it is? I sure wish she could tell some stories...

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

That is the same carrier that was listed on E-Bay.

It is not for sale as it belongs to Brasil. I was on it during my holidays last month.

It is floating in Rio de Janeiro harbor as we speak at the Brasilian naval base at Ilha's das Cobras.

It is not even a French carrier...but an English one.

Scam...........

10. yellowpad

yellowpad Karting

Feb 17, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    guys...this is the real thing!!! if you like to know more, here is the info.

Capt. Martin L Holt
    Consulting Broker French Creek Boat Sales Ltd.
    [email protected] [email protected]
    Phone 250-248-0010 Cell 250-927-9072

I can't believe you use the word "scam" without knowing more about facts. Anywho, the boat will leave from Rio to India today....kds, go outside and see if it is still there....

The boat will be available for sales within the next 30days.....you choose the escrow company :D if you want to know more about the history of the boat...click http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/vengeance/

11. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Calvin,

If you want your site to grow you have to attract seller's not offer ridiculous goods in hopes of traffic ... might I suggest you honor Seller's or member's of Ebay's feedback or Rating when they join your site ... not many seller's or buyer's for that matter want to start over and create feedback from scratch ... so a good advertisement would be "WE TRANSFER OVER YOUR EBAY RATING"

Dario

12. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    WAS THE 30K DONE ON IT ALREADY???

13. yellowpad

yellowpad Karting

Feb 17, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    I never thought of that "transfering feedback". Thanks a lot....Back to the drawing boad to shift around how I can do that.

14. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Hey if you get REALLY big I'd like a small kick-back ... Thanx.

15. yellowpad

yellowpad Karting

Feb 17, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    hahaha....this is a hobby....not my foods on the table :d but if it does get big, i will search for this thread.

16. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    LOL nice

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

yellowpad.....

I am back in Canada right now and read 3 Brasilian newspapers daily online. There has been nothing about it's disposal that I remember in the last 2 years, either online or while I was recently there for 6.5 weeks during Dec/Jan.....and if you knew the Brasilian media......there would be.....it'd be a big deal.

If it ends up in a scrapyard in India I won't be surprised......as that is where almost every boat is torn up nowadays.

When people supposedly post something for sale of such a sophisticated nature, you'd expect their ads to reflect accuracy and an air of intelligence about the product. This posting on the site you are trying to promote here lacks all of that which is what I was referring to.....gawd sakes man......the same thing was listed on E-Bay and the ad was pulled shortly thereafter.

If you knew about what kinds of restrictions ex-military equipment goes thru when it is sold......even for scrap......you'd realize it's probably 99% BS.

I am not knocking this site....but the ad.

18. yellowpad

yellowpad Karting

Feb 17, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    kds, thanks for the concern....I do respect that. YOu maybe right as someone that reads brazillian news daily. but the name of the contacts is there....as well as cell and land line number. if there is a buyer out ther that like to have it, i am sure he/she will do their dueligence prior to the purchase...it is about 6 mills....not 6bucks.

19. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    How NOT to Build an Aircraft Carrier
    by James Dunnigan
    December 7, 2003

France is considering joining with Britain to buy a new carrier of British design. Actually, the French had planned to built a second nuclear powered carrier, but they are having so many problems with the first one that they are quite reluctant about building a second like the troubled "Charles de Gaulle". Britain is building two 50,000 ton conventionally powered carriers, at a cost of $2.5 billion each. Under the proposed plan, France would order a third of this class, and bring down the cost of all three a bit. This project might not come off, because France wants a lot of the work to be done in French shipyards.

The new French nuclear carrier "Charles de Gaulle" has suffered from a seemingly endless string of problems since it was first conceived in 1986. The 40,000 ton ship has cost over four billion dollars so far and is slower than the steam powered carrier it replaced. Flaws in the "de Gaulle" have led it to using the propellers from it predecessor, the "Foch," because the ones built for "de Gaulle" never worked right and the propeller manufacturer went out of business in 1999. Worse, the nuclear reactor installation was done poorly, exposing the engine crew to five times the allowable annual dose of radiation. There were also problems with the design of the deck, making it impossible to operate the E-2 radar aircraft that are essential to defending the ship and controlling offensive operations. Many other key components of the ship did not work correctly, including several key electronic systems. The carrier has been under constant repair and modification. The "de Gaulle" took eleven years to build (1988-99) and was not ready for service until late 2000. It's been downhill ever since. The de Gaulle is undergoing still more repairs and modifications. The government is being sued for exposing crew members to dangerous levels of radiation.

The cause of the problems can be traced to the decision to install nuclear reactors designed for French submarines, instead of spending more money and designing reactors specifically for the carrier. Construction started and stopped several times because to cuts to the defense budget and when construction did resume, there was enormous pressure on the builders to get on with it quickly, and cheaply, before the project was killed. The result was a carrier with a lot of expensive problems.

So the plan is to buy into the new British carrier building program and keep the "de Gaulle" in port and out of trouble as much as possible. The British have a lot more experience building carriers, and if there are any problems with the British designed ship, the French can blame the British.

20. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

> Why not? They blame the world for everything else.
    - Now, if it were only made of snails and cheese, it would be another matter....

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Length: 693' 3" Overall 630' Waterline 690'

Dang! Local regulations prevent me from having anything over 615'. If I'd been able to get around that niggling detail, I'd have turned it into a commercial ship and renamed it (drum roll) SS Cargo