Suits in Seoul | FerrariChat

Suits in Seoul

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by judge4re, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Get this:

1. Custom made shirts: $25
    2. Custom made suits in super 160's cashmere: $200
    3. Custom made overcoat in cashmere: $300

Four #1's, three #2's, and one #3, delivered in 30 hours, with hand stitching and working sleeve buttons. This place is legit, several clients are Fortune 500 executives. Can provide details off line if needed.

I'll never go shopping in the states for suits again.

2. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Omfg, how is the quality? The saving on one suit would equal out the cost of a plane ticket and lodging almost.

3. Tyson

Tyson Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2003
    Idaho
    Any chance they have a website?

4. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Details would be great..a PM please if you don't want to post it. What kind of tailoring time are we looking at? Got any pictures you could post of what you bought?

Thanks!

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No. I can get you the info if you PM me if you want.

6. Jet911M3

Jet911M3 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Don
    I used to travel to Seoul several times a year. I purchased numerous suits there for ~$200 and they have all held up amazingly well. When I go back again, I plan to buy several more suits.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I looked them over carefully, and I'd say that the quality is around a Brioni off the rack suit. They didn't drape as well as a very high end suit, but for every day business (or sitting on an airplane), they'll work perfectly. They seem to be made more durable than the Zegna suits I've had in the past (but I never thought Zegna durability was its strong point).

This is the first time I've had clothing custom made. I will not go back if I can help it. The fit is unreal and they are very comfortable. I've been middle sized my whole life. Now I know the way clothes are supposed to fit.

I highly recommend this guy. All this and it only took 30 hours for the entire order to be completed. Unreal. I can't get alterations in the states in less than a week!

Come to Korea, and bring an empty suitcase.

8. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    Hey Judge, can you PM me the contact info for this tailor? It might be worth a trip just for the good deals.

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Peter Ng of HK Broadway Tailors is awesome, in Kowloon, HK. His French cuff dress shirts have about 100 stitches per inch! About $23.00 mailed to your door in three days. Check out his company at www.hkbroadwaycustomtailor.com. You can order on-line. He will keep a log of your measurements for future orders. For suits, I pay about $175-$200 for suits that go for $750+ in the states.

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Peters and Judge

Do you guys have any pictures you could post so we can get an idea of the workmanship?

11. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003

I have a hard time finding dress shirts with the right length sleeves. I may have to give these guys a try. Do they tell you how to get measured? I don't have my windows CD with me so I couldn't load something on the page.

I second the request for pics.

John, do you know anything about the tailor at jackson and st. charles? I heard he custom builds suits. Nothing I buy off the rack and have altered ever fits right.

12. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ike, I don't really know much about the tailor that you mentioned. But what I can tell you is that I mostly use Brooks Brothers in Canal Place for my dressier clothes. They always take care of me really well there.

If you go, I would suggest being helped by Mike. He is about 55, balding, and sometimes wears big glasses. He is a super nice gentleman who has been helping out my father and I for at least 10 years. Also, it would be hard to go wrong with having some alterations done at Rubenstein Brothers. But I still stick with Brooks Brothers. Their wrinkle free shirts are great. All you have to do is throw them in the wash like regular clothes and they come out looking like they came from the cleaners.

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'm in China till Thursday. Will post pics when I return to the States this weekend (after the obligatory 20 hours of sleep to overcome jet lag).

14. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Thanks.

I need to go to canal place soon. I'll make sure to stop in at Brooks Brothers.

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    interesting, and btw, I love the "navy, freight attendant" - too funny.

I'm currently looking for a sport coat in black wool. something similar to what I've seen at Banana Republic (link to the coat), but don't want to shell out $325 for it if I don't have to. This might be a very good option. If nothing else, something to try out.

What are the estimates on something like this? ballpark figure from HK?

16. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Peters,

Do you get a special rate from HK Broadway Tailors?

Was just curious. They gave me a price of $350-400 HK which is about 45-51 US.

Thanks.

17. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    How is one supposed to choose a fabric for a mail order tailor? Where would I go to find high quality fabrics for dress shirts?

18. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    They told me they would mail me some fabric samples. Here is the e-mail they sent me.

---------------------------------------
    Thank you for your email. If you have interest to have mail order, we can send some fabric samples for your selection. Please let us know the shirt & suit color you prefer? The pattern (solid color, stripes or checker)? And the mailing address?

For the dress shirt, you want business style (cost around HK$350-400) or tuxedo style (HK$450-500)? If you order more than 6 pcs, airmail postage will be offered for free.

You can scan and email the style of the shirts and suit for us. For the first mail order, we suggest you to send one of your favourite shirt and suit for us to copy the size and we will mail them back to you. Once the measurement is taken for the record, there is no need to send again in future mail order.

Any enquiry, please email to us again.

Thanks

----------------------------------

19. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Peters, I sent you a PM a few days ago. The guy at the Hong Kong tailors is asking who refered me. If you would like me to tell him your name please PM me.

20. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I emailed them and never got a reply...

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Pictures as requested. This is the cashmere overcoat and a blue suit. The other two suits are at my place in Shanghai.

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Two more. The spot on the suit is from the flash.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Since these have become so popular, here are the details:

Bruce Jung
    Dynasty Custom Tailoring Clothiers
    #34-77, Itaewon-Dong
    Yongsan-Ku
    Seoul, Korea
    140-201

Tel: (82-2)3785-3035
    Fax: (82-2)798-9109
    [email protected]

Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,
    Erik

24. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Erik,

Thanks for taking the time to get those pics up! The overcoat looks great. This is surely a thing I will consider doing soon. Thanks again:)

25. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Thanks for the pictures. Quite interested. Also, interested to hear from the tailor-experts in regards to what they see: good or bad.

Myself - I'm sold on the idea and will contact them in the next few months. The overcoat - well, it's only cold here for a few weeks each year and then back to sunny weather.