f1-2004 new change | FerrariChat

f1-2004 new change

Discussion in 'F1' started by arakisfilip, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arakisfilip

arakisfilip Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2004
    check out it has turning vanes thats new wright it is diff. from the lunch

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Actually the F2004 has had 2 turning vanes at the launch. The ones you see are more forward than the ones at the launch. This area is aways changing to control the airflow around the side pods and under the car.

by moving them forward or back can change the pressure and redirect airflow to the critical areas of the car.

Here is the picture at the launch of the turning vanes.

3. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    Beast, where are you getting these detailed closeups of the F-2004? Just curious.

JMJ

4. arakisfilip

Jan 25, 2004
    Arent those barage boards and the pic I posted are turning vanes, I mean in the 1 pics it looks something similar to what Mclaren and Williams have, right, I have now Idea, I herd abou tuning vans a few days ago so I dont know cra#p

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Barge boards and turning viens are the same thing. the engineers use the terminology "turning vanes" and the media call them "Barge Boards"

I will try to build a CFD model that will show what these items are doing but be patient as it takes a lot of computer time to run the model. (Days)

Rob

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Ok after 28 hours of number crunching and setting up the model we can see what is happening to airflow around the car, tires and barge boards.

First lets take a look at the streamlines. The upper half of the model is the car and tire no turning vane. The lower half shows the bady, tire and a large turning vane. The reason this was done is in order to cut down computation time of the model in half.

One thing that we notice is that the area of high speed airflow where the side pod goes from curved to straight is less dramatic also the void of air flow pocket behind the wheel is less with the turning vanes. this in effect can reduce the turbulance being created by the tire.

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    taking a look at the Mach numbers we can see that with a turning vane the airflow is slowing down between the tire body and turning vane. This will create higher pressure to be forced thru the cooling ducts with out as much drag. Also the higher pressure can also be redirected to create more down force and air flow to the engine airbox duct.

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Now looking at the pressure chart we can see that thepressure is higher around the body and radiator ducts with a turning vane in place.

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    And last but not least this is the air density chart shoring the increase in density on the turning vanes side of the car.

Hopefully this help clear up what turning vanes do and how they are used to tune the airflow around the car. The gains are not as dramatic as shown in the graphs since this is a high drag area. But this is why the aero experts are always working in this area to try and reduce areo drag. This is why you dont notice that lap times fall off a lot if a car losses the turning vanes durring the race.

Rob

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    One other thing i just noticed about the F2004 VS the F2003-GA is the mirror mounts. On the F2004 the mounts are more of an air foil shape and extend out insted of upward is this a possible method of creating extra down force??? It wont create much but will not be that much of a hinderance either.

12. arakisfilip

Jan 25, 2004
    dude thanx for that theral explanation, and for torturing your computer for 28 hours. thanx again

13. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Not a problem i have computers running all of the time doing engineering modeling for my classes and for personal projects.

Rob

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here is a shot of the F2003-GA at todays Jerez test. and you can see that they are also running a twin turning vane set up similar to what was being run on the F2004 at Mugello.

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nice shots, finally some pictures of Badoer. So rare.

Can't wait till we see Fisico in a red car testing session.

Thanks for all your CFD work and explanations, fascinating!

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

If you think those slide are something just wait till i get a handle on this new software that is capable of doing the CFD calculations in 3D.

Damm anyone have a spare supercomputer they are not using and willing to lend a fellow Ferrari chatter???

Rob

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I got about a dozen PCs at home running my various sims, but no supercomputer.

I think you should give a little lecture about your findings at the next FChat annual dinner. Or any other event where some of us come together. I'll provide the video beam.
    :)

18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Last years dinner was a blast all we did was talk about racing. I cannot wait for this years edition :)