What's your choice - CIS or Carbs, and why? | FerrariChat

What's your choice - CIS or Carbs, and why?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Wayne 962, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Just thought I'd ask. I bought my 308 specifically with carbs, seeing how I've rebuilt Webers before (on Porsches), and I've also messed with CIS before (also on Porsches). The CIS stuff can get super-expensive to replace if something goes bad (how about a 308 fuel distributor), and also difficult to diagnose at times. Carbs are easy, have good throttle response, but have poor gas mileage (in general). CIS is reliable, but not really a "performance" injection system.

Which do you guys prefer, and why? For example, if I was looking at a BB, I would probably go with a '79 or older, as I would hate to mess with CIS injection on a 12 cylinder engine. Ever see the engine compartment of a 400i? (see here:http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/34/8e/19_3.JPG). Yikes!

-Wayne

2. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    when looking for a 308 last year i specifically wanted a GTS with carbs.
    easy to work on.
    less expensive to mess with.
    no computers to fry.
    and the SOUND!!! oh the SOUND!!!

3. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay, I'm still new to this - I haven't heard a CIS car - is it that much different?

-Wayne

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yep. Carbs are the way to go for sound. Once Ferrari went to fuel injection, aftermarket exhausts came into play for people who wanted the car to sound like the old ones. Once you know what you're doing, carbs aren't that difficult to futz with. Keep them clean and drive the car and they should be more or less trouble free.

5. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Right - on the triple barrel Webers that we use on 911s, I recommend running four filters (one in the regular spot, one right before the carbs, and one on each carb, right before the fuel enters the carb).

-Wayne

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I have both. A 308 QV and a Carb 308. There is a huge difference in sound. I actually like the sound of my QV. A carb 308 will roar though and I mean ROAR. The nice part of CIS is that it is fuel injection so the car will fire right up and stay lit without help from you feathering it or the like. (if they are set up correctly) CIS cars no backfiring or popping when cold. Carb cars take a little longer to get going as they are carbs and not fuel injection. Carb cars are also more raw feeling. Carbs IMO are much easier to work on. The CIS system can be a pain to diagnose. Not near as many parts on a carb 308s fuel system than a CIS system. A good rebuild can make a world of diff. too on a carb car. Mine runs wonderfully after my recent carb rebuild. If you have any particular question please ask.

7. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    well---there are issues both ways---on my old daytona years ago--i had to carry a device to calibrate the carbs with me because every time i went up into the mountains i had to reset them for the thinner air---for this reason I really like INJECTED cars----
    however CIS (constant piss) is about the worst of the injection methods . given the choice i would choose injected but as i have recently done with my car--convert it to EFI.