your contractor drives a Ferrari, what do you think? | FerrariChat

your contractor drives a Ferrari, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vincent355, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    What would you do if the first time you meet a contractor you are thinking of hiring for a job and he shows up in a Ferrari?

Personally, I'm all for it. I like working with successful people.

Note: the Job is on one terrific piece of road, nice straights, great twisties, and quite deserted in some sections :)

Vincent.

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    a friend of mine is in a similar position; he calls out a builder for a quote, who turns up in a sl 500, gets talking to him and it turns out he also got new range rover and is picking up a 360 at christmas!
    seems like i'm in the wrong job................
    tony

ps..good luck to him, i say.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Vincent: I would say take the 348 up 128....but, if you don't get the job, don't blame me for how much fun you had gettnig there and comgn back! :D

--Dan

4. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    what about this: my landlord just got his 550 Maranello :)

5. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    If a contractor I was thinking of hiring showed up in a Ferrari, I would definately get an estimate from others.

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I'd be thrilled. I too like working with other successful people, and I am inspired by success in others, it does not make me jealous.

I may feel the client out, start talking cars (of any sort) If he's a car dude of any kind, he'd get a kick out of a Ferrari and would realize like we all do, that life is just too damn short to go withought, and that they don't nessicarily mean you're a $billionaire, just that you cherish what's important to you in life and went after it.

Also, your buisness is a high-end and fairly exotic one. In that environment, success and flair is an asset. You're a baddass :)

Best!
    Ben.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    it's a liability, vincent.

you just don't know how the prospective customer will react. so erring on the side of caution is probably the best bet.

doody.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Personally, it would probably make me hire them but I own several ferraris so take that into account.

You have all sorts of boneheads out there. If its a $Million+ house then I dont see a problem, if its $300k or less it may cause some difficulty becasue some people are just jealous & nasty or decide something about you which isnt true just because you enjoy fine automotive art

9. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003

Of course you should get estimates from others anyway, but what does a contractor’s car have to do with a decision?

Besides the fact that most contractors that are successful offer a superior product at a price that keeps them in the market, I would rather deal with a company that has some back up cash, rather than a guy who has a ladder strapped the roof of his Cutlass Supreme.

10. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I know I would never drive my car to a customer or even to the office.

As a small business owner, you never know what people are going to think. Before I got my car another gentleman (Vendor) drove his new M5 around to several of my customers. My customers would comment to me that: "You see what I bought him" or "We are obviously paying too much for the equipment". Ever since then I knew that was a bad idea.

My employees are the same way, they know i have the car, but they have the same attitude, "See how much money he makes off us"

You can probably get away with it in some businesses, but not in mine.

Stan

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I know of some people when they meet with their customers, the customers say, you can buy a Ferrari, your prices are too high.

12. 550

550 Rookie

Sep 19, 2003
    I'm a commercial landlord/builder. If your doing a home improvement get a contractor who drives a new pickup. If your building a shopping center go with the ferrari guy. The home improvement guy is dumping your money into the ferrari. I drive a 1996 minivan to my jobs. This is just a very general rule. also go with the older guy with a wife and 3 kids. Never pay for work not yet done. I could go on and on. these days there are many things to look at before signing a contact.

13. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    As a contractor I would never even consider arriving for an estimate in my Ferrari. There are much better ways of showing success to a prospective client. Over the years I have always driven a new pickup and currently I drive a new Jeep Grand Cherokee for estimates and job inspections. I think a vehicle along those lines is much more appropriate for conducting business. Was this contractor also wearing a tuxedo when he arrived ? lol....

14. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I drive my Ferrari to some customers who are car crazy, and pick them up for lunch on nice days really enjoy. My customers understand I have worked and saved for my toy as many have for their own toys. I believe you must know your customer well which you should any way.

15. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Knowing clients after a while is one thing, but showing up for your first meeting is another.

16. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I've got customers I've known well for 10 years or more that I would never tell about the car. Having a good business relationship with your customer doesn't mean their opinion of me wouldn't suddenly change if I drove up in a 100K+ car.

Know thy customer's self

Stan

17. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    You know that happens to me sometimes. I own a courier business and a mortgage co. Sometimes they tell me "ohh we are paying too much, so we are paying for your Ferrari" and I just tell them no this one is allready payed for you are paying for the next one.

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Depends on where you are, The pickup truck crowd would not appriciate any furrin car, while in a more affluent area, they'd think you were a real professional.

19. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    The sad thing about this, it's all perception.

If your contractor pulls up in a $$$$$$ car its considered a red flag.
    If your stocbroker drives the same car its accepted.

My experience is: I had a contracting business years ago.
    I had to meet a client for a bid, My truck was in the shop and
    my wife needed her car, leaving only my 930.
    I did NOT want to drive it.

I had done numerous jobs for him.

Well, I met him he commented on how nice the car was, we discussed
    the plans and price.
    I did the job, it was my last for him.

The sad thing is, had I pulled up in a 40k truck instead of a 25k Porsche
    there would have been no problem.

Its ALL perception.

My advice, get bids pick the contractor your most comfortable with
    and don't let what they drive get in the way of your decision.

20. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I had a roofing contracter come out to give me an estimate. It was the highest bid by far. As he was still trying to sell me i pretty much made up my mind he wouldnt come down enough to even bother negotiating with him. When he then mentioned he would try to quit early an go flying the rest of the day.
    Nothing against succesful people, but i deal with contracters a lot in my work. We all have know stories about getting milked by some.
    I would rather not contribute.

21. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    IMHO, IF the job is building a dog house or some other low budget operation a pick up that is rusted is fine, But. IF it is a high dollar project I LOOK for the success ratio. Remeber that if you have money you can make money , tools, good labor etc. But if you can only pay yourself then YOU MAY BE OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE.
    Give me the Rolls and Ferrari driver to the 19' Yugo with the dog bobbing in the back.!

22. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Never appear to have more money then the people you dealing with.

All in all your best bet is always play it safe. Drive a ford taurus to meet people. It's domestic and very middle america.

Unless you are a financial guy or to a certain extent an attorney you should not be affrontary about your wealth or perceived success.

Special case is if you ARE already very sucessful and people know it and it is "common knowledge". Example: I already preceive Mr. Smothie as being sucessful so if he showed up to meet me in a Prius I'd probably ask for ID.

23. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I am a contractor and do road work and would never show up in a Ferrari, I charge a little on the high side but my customers get excellent service and quality, if its a first meeting they would definately view it as a negative, I also think they would view showing up in a Ferrari as being a show off.

When I had my Porsche 911 I drove it to bid a job, I didn't have another vehicle at the time so i usually parked where noone could see it, but this time the buyer saw it, I gave a fair price and the buyer balked and I had to call back a few days later and lower my bid just to get the work, something I have never had to do

24. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I see no problem with it at all,being a contractor myself(aviation industry)I agree with the sucessful person attitude,the guy has obviously worked hard for the priviledge.
    best regards
    Dave McGuire

25. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    If your surgeon or lawyer had one, no big deal. Why can't your contractor drive one ? I'm sure he's earned it. Just make sure you get a fair deal on your project.