Anyone here have a Range Rover? | FerrariChat

Anyone here have a Range Rover?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by sherpa23, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I am considering getting a Range Rover or possibly a Discovery. Have they gotten any better form a reilability standpoint in the last couple of years? I had a 1997 Discovery and it was great for 3 years then it fell apart. Any feedbak would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...Ryan

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Oh and the new Range rover is NOT a landrover. It really is a BMW in just about every sense, save off-roading. Its made in a factory that was made my BMW for landrover. Fit and finish is much higher then any land rover I have every driven prior.

I was given a new disco as a loaner, fun but the build quality was ****. Fun to toy with, but the key didnt even properly go into the ignition since the plastic around the ignition was misshappen and you could not insert the key unless you did it just right.

4. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi worked on these beasts for 20 years,as auraraptor said the new 02-on is a bmw but a far better bm than a x5,the e-38's 4.0-4.6 do get problems,cooling systems water pumps engine blocks can shift liners but only seems to happen on 4.0,heater blend motors can give up and can be changed without dash removal,my sister has a 98 4.0 and just put in a new block and used ARP cylinder head stud kit,50,000 mile service you are supossed to change the lambda sensors but the rule of thumb is check the gas and make sure they are switching,£250 per bank gen part,
    you can use jag xj sensors they are the same just longer lead approx £150 per bank gen part,this is the expensive stuff that goes down and it doesent happen that often somtimes never hope this helps,
    Dale.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I was sales manager at a LR/MB dealership until 2002......can't stand LR's.......I quit and one of the reasons was an enormous lack of product confidence in LR.

6. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I've owned a 1988, 1990, 1996, and now a 2000 Range Rover.

Great cars! Unstoppable in rain, snow, mud etc..

I have not had any show stoppers in any of the cars and they generally had around 70,000 miles on them when I got the next model. (except 88-90-more like 40,000)

I have heard negatives about the BMW year cars (01?02-03) due to parts availability. But, I wonder when it comes time to switch my current Rover if it is best to wait until Ford updates it again because the old generation of cars had some parts commonality stretching for almost 30 years. The BMW Rovers are going to have maybe 4-5 years worth. It all depends on how big a refresh the next one is.

One more thing, expect some seriously steep depreciation the first few years... (up to 75%)

7. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I have an 04 with 3500 miles and I love it. My wife had an X5 4.4 which has much better performance but I just got tired of looking at it. I had the Lexus GX 470 which was nice but just not in the same league as the RR. Fit/finish is top notch and ride quality(not handling) I think is better than my wife's new 745Li.
    Bill

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    had 96, 99, 2003 land rovers. were ok at the time but was very unhappy with 03 mostly because i just wanted much more comfort and luxury but it was too similar to the older ones i had. traded in for 04 rr that is fantastic. cannot compare rr to lr as completely different. this was all for my wife by the way who likes trucks. rr is amazing combo of lux and bad weather ability but if up to me i'd rather combine lux and performance and get new jag xjr then just add snow tires to get thru winter.