Cleaning the inside of 360 or 550 headlight lens | FerrariChat

Cleaning the inside of 360 or 550 headlight lens

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cwwhk, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Is there anyway to clean the inside of the clear headlight lens on the 360 or 550? It appears the lens is just snapped into place, but I can't get them off. Already broke one tab on the 550, so stopped trying.

I think I read somewhere that this is not possible, but it seems silly to me the only way to get rid of the ugly dust inside the headlamp lens is to buy a brand new head lamp assemblies. Thanks.

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Yes, sad to say that is the problem.
    Even when you get condension in there, Ferrari will give you new headlamp housings if under warranty.

The were rumors of a guy that fixes the headlamps here in the US.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I haven't tried a 550, so I'm not sure. But the 360 is supposed to be a permanently sealed unit.

However, with great care, some brute force (prybars and razor blades)and lots of patience, it is possible to get the lens off a 360 lamp.

I've done it a dozen times or more now, and it takes me about 10 hours to remove, split, clean (or send for painting), re-assemble and refit a pair of lens. The first set took double that.

Once I've done it, I re-bond the lens to the lamp with a more user friendly sealant, to expediate removal next time. Save about 2 hours.

4. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks for the tip. I was afraid that's the answer. Probably too much of a challenge for me. Guess I'll just have to live with the film of dust inside, until I'm ready to spend big bucks for new headlights.

5. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    A bit too late now, but pay close attention to the placement of the vent hose when they are replaced. When I was replacing a lot of the 360 "short eyebrow" lights under warranty, it was found that all of the dirty ones had the vent hose on the wrong side of a support member. This pointed the vent hose forward and offered up a port to ram dirt and dust into. Properly placed, the air flows past the bottom of the vent hose, creating a vacuum in the lamp assy.
    Dave

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Excellent point, davehelms. Amazing oversight on assembly behalf, aye?

7. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks Dave. Very good tip. On my '98 550 the vent tube is an L shaped rubber tube (only 2" long) pointing down. This I can see easily from the engine bay. So I guess they are in the right position.

My '02 360 Spider is still under warrenty and not dirty yet, so how do I check on the 360? Do I have to remove the trunk carpet liner to get at it?

Thanks.

8. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

You won't see anything from the front trunk liner.
    You would have to remove the inner fenderwell to gain a good look at it.

9. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Diablo:

Thanks. Will try to have a look when I get some time.

10. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

Interesting

My Stradale is currently in for some fixes – one of them is that the right headlight gets completely fogged up when it is wet / cold

My dealer talked to FNA and they said that this is normal!

When I had my radar detector installed the bumper had to come off – the installer took tons of picture

Guess what - one of the pictures shows that the rubber tube is bend in a 90 degree angle

Many thanks for the input Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    What did you do with all the old headlamps Dave?..........I can put them into the race cars to get rammed into concrete walls and competitors.

Yes, good point about the hose. Common oversight.

You need to remove the front bumper to see it, and then the radiator ducting etc to get the lamp out if needed. The hose can be corrected with just the bumper off though.

12. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    All of the old headlights had to be returned to FNA due to it being a warranty repair. I wanted some for wall art, but that never happened. Usually the problem with the lights was the dirt and fogging, but I had to use the short eyebrow as the means to push the claim. Early on, Ferraris stance was the fogging was normal, but that was later retracted.
    Yes the bumper must come off. Readjusting the placement of the hose is quite easy with the bumper off, but that headlamp replacement is a bugger. It was one of those jobs that if you worked like an animal, you could get the job done in slightly over twice the time you would get paid for. It has been a good year since I did a headlamp replacement, but I think one could check and adjust the hose placement through the wheel well.

13. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    FoS did take the bumper off and straightened / fixed pipe - many thanks again - hopfully that is it

14. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Glad it was of use
    Dave