I GOT SCAMMED .... warning for all! | FerrariChat

I GOT SCAMMED .... warning for all!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by twinturbo, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Got an email on Thursday morning ...

Sender : PAYPAL
    Subject : Identity Verification

I've read about this before and am fully aware of the scam however, I just recently had $4000.00 paid to me in my Paypal account and was dealing with them and assumed this was real.

The email is a CARBON COPY of the Paypal site ... absolutely NO different ... it has a "click here" link after a brief synopsis of there new security upgrade to the system which wants all your info re-checked ... when you click on the link another CARBON COPY of a Paypal page comes up and asks you to fill everything in ... I got a bit suspicious but I looked at the URL at the top and it said http://www.paypal.com ... well there's no way they have the real Paypal domain registered if it's a scam ... anywho ...

I fillled out everything and gave them ALL my info ... Social ; Credit Card # and PIN ; Address ; Mother's Maiden .... and of course I hit ENTER ...

Well I really got suspicious again (a bit too late) ... I tried to "right-click" the link in my email from earlier to check it's properties but it wouldn't let me .... so then I saved the link to my favorites and then "right-clicked" and checked it's properties WELL ... this is what I got http://d13089.u24.dnsworldservices.net/e-bay/index.html

It was a FAKE ... they had the URL coded to say www.paypal.com ... I notified paypal and since then the site has been taken down ... I cancelled my credit card ... signed up for Equifax Gold Watch and Equifax Power Score ETC ....

What else do you guys suggest I do ... they have ALL my info ... can't they just order new credit cards and change the address??? Get loans ...

Dario

2. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Dario, check out my thread under Gen'L Discussion from earlier this week. "Beware of Scam". Check all the comments.

3. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Have you tried logging into your Paypal account? If so change the password for it.

Put a hold/cancel the credit card linked to that account.

Let us know how it goes. Additionally go to www.paypalsucks.com to see the ways Paypal can sometimes be 'bad' for you.

Regards,

/Dan

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You can call the three credit bureaus and add a fraud alert which will contact you before any new credit is extended. This will stop anyone from getting new cards or opening new accounts under your name. It is also good to subscribe to a three bureau credit monitoring service that sends you an update every time you have an inquirery done and ever time any changes are made on your accounts. This service is offered through american express and many other credit card companies for a nominal yearly fee. It also is good to keep an eye on your credit rating as well.

5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Weird.. after reading that, I thought I remembered getting an email from Paypal a while ago asking me to update my info. I never did it, since I only used Paypal once about 5 years ago. I just checked my email and sure enough, the message is still there.. looks like the link to www.paypal.com is actually an image that links to paypal.uk.co/update.. thanks for the warning, and good luck getting your situation sorted...

-R

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I agree with Jeff_M.

make sure you contact all 3 major credit bureaus: Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian
    and tell them to put a fraud alert so they will call you if anyone opens up a new credit account in your name.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    HEY ROB, WHEN WE GO TO A PAY SITE I HOPE YOU ARENT GOING TO MAKE US USE PAYPAL!!!!! michael

9. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Don't be too hard on yourself TT, Jerry fell for the same exact scam a year ago!!

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, :), you can be a FREE user or if wanting a subscription it will be either Paypal, a couple other options like Paypal or you can mail a check. That should make everyone happy, it won't be long until there would be a direct CC interface. I had one before with my online store, but one step at a time.

11. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    That site finally put me over the edge and I closed out my PayPal account. Its just too risky these days.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've done at least 500 transactions with not a single problem except their high fees to receive money, however, CC companies charge the same type of fees. Our sponsors have a total of about 3000 transactions and I've never heard one with a problem.

No doubt someone someplace has had a bad experience though.