348 spark plug lead rewire? | FerrariChat

348 spark plug lead rewire?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ernie, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey fellas I have a question about the length of the spark plug leads. I have one bad wire that is burnt. It is the one going to the #2 cylinder. I looked into getting a new set and the dealers are crazy! They don't sell them by the set. They sell them by the wire. Depending on what cylinder they are going to. The prices range from $125 all the way up to $185 for each wire. There is NO WAY I'm gonna pay that. The type wires that are on my car are Bosch. I looked every were for them and can't find squat. SO I'm thinking of rewiring the one plug lead using the remaining good section of wire. I managed to get the wires out of the boots on both ends. It was pretty easy to get the wires out. All you have to do is, hold the wire close to the boot, then turn the boot counter clockwise. You can feel the wire coming loose, they kind of screw into place. Then after it is loose lightly pull it out. The same for the end going to the coil. I was able to get the old connector off the wire, but I can't get the crimped part of the connector opened yet to try and reuse it again. I clipped off the bad part, and I have enough wire to go from the coil to the plug. The boot extention and the connector to the coil is still good. If I can find this stuff it will help us all save a big amount of money. The only things that you really need for the rewire is, the wire itself and the little connectors that they use. The one thing that is unique is, the seals on the boot and the extention. There are three under the boot, and five on the extention. So you really get a very good seal not to allow moisture into the spark plug hole. Other than that, after taking this thing apart, I can tell you that there is NOTHING special about these wires. The only reason I can see why Ferrari charges the amount of money that they do, for the wires, is purely for name sake. My question is, does the length of wire need to be the same in order for the spark to travel the same distance to the plug for timing. I only clipped off about 8"-10" wire. Will that make a big difference in the spark travel? Also since the wires are made by Bosch there has to be some sort of rewire kit out there, Maybe in Germany? I truley feel that this can be fixxed very inexpensively.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Try Rutlands. I just bought wires for my TR from them for $500. This included all 12 wires, with boots (installed already), red sleeves (in place), 2 coil wires, and numerous plastic wire holders.

The lenght shouldn't matter. Keep them a little longer, so that you can cut off about 1/2 inch (at the distributor end), every 15K miles or so. It seems that this is the area that corrodes the quickest.

3. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks Henry,

I already talked to Rutlands. They were gonna charge me $800 for the set. That is cheaper than what the dealer is asking, but still too much for some stinking wires.

I was able to find a company that sold the wire that Bosch uses on their leads. Get this the most expensive roll of wire was only $68 for a roll of 250 feet. They had 25 foot rolls that cost about $2-$3. However, I contacted them and they don't carry the particular type wire that I need, nor did they have the connectors for the ends of the wire.

Ferrari is, without a doubt, completely robbing us blind for the plug wires.

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Ernie: Hard to believe that the TR 12-wire set is cheaper than the 8-cyl set. They must be using gold for the wire!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am conviced that the older Ferraris are actually cheaper to maintain than the new ones........I understand that the 355's need a computer to adjust the clutch......try getting the program for it!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why I have an old TR and an old Boxer.

As much as I like the 360, I will just stay away. I will NOT own a Ferrari that I can't work on myself...........dealer is 260 miles away!!!!

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I hear you. The computers are supposed to make the engines run better, yet is seems that a majority of the problems are the stupid computers themselves. As for the computers in the 355's, those are on the cars that have the F1 gear boxes.

Like I said earlier. I know I can rewire the spark plug lead, EASYYYYY! All I need is to find the wire and the little connectors at the ends. That's it! If the wire costs $2 for a roll of 25 feet, the connector shouldn't be more than about .10 cents. The problem is finding the connectors and the correct wire.

6. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    When I had my 348 Spider in for the major the shop quoted me $890 for a set of wires. PLEASE . . . $110 a wire . . . gimme a break. I found Magnecore wires and bought a set for $165. They were a perfect fit and only lack the stamping of our favorite horse on the boots.

http://www.magnecor.com/

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the info sunburn. Billybob also has a set of magnecors. I found a site that has a set of wires for 285 pounds. But the currancy exchange rate right now is something like $1.76 U.S. to 1 British pound. So I would be paying close to double that. I'm also thinking of using Nology wires. I contacted them and they say that they have made a set before. I think that they charged something like $345 for the set.