308 Door Hinges | FerrariChat

308 Door Hinges

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rivee, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    The top drivers side door hinge is worn out. There's a lot of slop in the hinge. I want to replace it but its welded in and appears the only way to cut it out and put in a new one is to cut the door skin off.

Am I correct in this procedure?

2. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    The top hinge is bent out. I tried to heat it up to bend it back then realized that it was worn out as well.

3. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
  4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    How about drilling it out to oversize, and then have a sleeve machined, with the correct ID? The fact that, if it is really bent, complicates this whole thing.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

5. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Seeing the size of steel used for the hinge; if it is bent, then it has to be bent inside the door, or the door sheet metal.

6. david512bb

david512bb Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    My old Boxer had the same problem. I bought a set of adjustable reamers and used them to get the holes round again. At that point I made new hinge pins and fitted them, however, they were visibly larger. If I had to do it again, I would have a machine shop make some bushings and simply sleeve the holes back to normal size, and then use new stock sized hinge pins. If you have proper gaps, then do not remove your door skins, even though it is tempting. I assume the holes on the hinge posts are still ok.