Getting something off my chest | FerrariChat

Getting something off my chest

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cy0811, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cy0811

cy0811 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    Let me introduce myself,
    My name is Cyrus and I live in Hermosa Beach ,CA. and am also a new member to this forum. I am 23 and, between my girlfriend and I, own a 1996 sl500 and 2000 xk8 both black, yet will NEVER feel satisfied until I attain the ultimate car that I can almost afford; a 1995 F355. I have a problem with ferraris... If I see one I become transfixed with its image, sound, attention getting ability-the car is my God(and I'm a confirmed Catholic) at that moment. Then the rush turns into a hangover-I think of the servicing, the insurance, blah blah blah, but you only live once. I had to almost drug myself in order not to buy a piece of **** fiero diablo roadster to try to contain my exotic car lust... this was not a bad one in the realm of kitcars, it was an "IFG", drove like **** and cost $60k. My buddy has one and he can almost get any woman car nut(gold-digger, whatever they're called) he wants into bed. But I can't wait until he has to tell the cop its a 60k fiero with a lambo body and corvette engine in front of one of those hotties. I was 20 and couldn't find anyone to finance it THANK GOD.. Anyways everyone tells me I'm materialistic, selfish, and self centered to have this goal but I say, "Some individuals smoke crack , I love ferraris. It's an addiction" Yet, I can't sleep at night knowing that I am an able bodied, sound minded Individual who could be caressing one of man kind's most passionate and beautiful creations: a FERRARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    They're just cars. You'll get over it.

3. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    At least you've taken that first step to recovery by admitting you're powerless over Ferrari and that your life has become ummanageable. Just turn everything over to your higher power and let the higher power worry about such things. If it is meant to be, it will turn out as such...

4. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    LMAO....!!!

5. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ

Heheheheh LOL way too funny.

6. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ

Dude do yourself a favor and DONT get the replica!!
    I got a replica Diablo finally after waiting and waiting (long long story)
    the car looked awesome and performed like ****.Wait and get the real thing.I sold the Diablo replica ASAP!!

While waiting for the Diablo replica I finished my NSX supercar and purchased MY355.You can see both and a few girlfriends of mine who posed w/ the cars.

GO TO WWW.MYNSX.COM

PS....everything is for sale on that site .

serious inquiries can e-mail

7. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Make sure that you have your priorities in order...i.e., get a house FIRST! Pay your credit cards off FIRST! Do not over extend youself to get a Ferrari, I would suggest a 308 to wet your appetite first, then move up from there when the time is right.

8. Steve Darrah

Steve Darrah Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C. Darrah
    Listen to Tork 1966. What he has said is exactly correct.

9. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    "It's an addiction" Yet, I can't sleep at night knowing that I am an able bodied, sound minded Individual who could be caressing one of man kind's most passionate and beautiful creations: a FERRARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

LOL...... Don't get help !!!!!! Get yourself a Ferrari.

It doesn't appear affordability is an issue but if it were "trade one of your car in"....In the end, there are much worse things in life than being addicted to F-cars.

10. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    I strongly agree with the notion of getting an entry-level Ferrari for various reasons. Maintenance costs are a very, very significant part of owning a Ferrari. (Even though some people refer to the 328 as "bulletproof," I've endured some outrageous costs on mine.) Trying to maintain a Ferrari on the cheap can lead to more expensive repairs down the road or a compromising of one's integrity when trying to "unload" it on someone else. Also, the 1995 355 supposedly had quite a few problems as all "first-year" models. As a Ferrari mechanic told me, "Never buy a car from its first production year." Furthermore, although many people may sharply distinguish between highly desirable Ferrari and an undesirable Ferrari, I have found that every Ferrari I've driven has the same spirit and can satisfy my soul. Do the sober thing: get the house, pay off the credit cards, and don't stress your marriage by introducing money troubles. Consider a late model 308 QV or 328. They're way slower than a 355, but they still provide the Ferrari thrill! I would modify what tork1966 says by saying that the 308 can do a lot more than just whet your appetite (unless speed were the primary goal). After test-driving a 355, I concluded that my 328 is actually more engaging in some ways and a better value (back in the days of peak 355 prices).

Since you're in SoCal, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a support group around. In a way, this forum IS a support group.

David

11. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Over the years I've discovered 90% of the fun of anything is anticipation, i.e., looking forward to getting a new toy or doing something. The other 10% is reality, after said event has been achieved. For example, how many of us have looked forward to a great vacation, and then after being on vacation for a week, we just want to get back home to family and friends. I've found the same thing to be true for what I call toys. Once you get the Ferrari, the 'now what?' syndrome engages. Maybe I should now move up/down to Lamborghini. This is basic human nature, because all our wants are insatiable--never satisfied. You're just part of the human race...

12. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Agree 100%

13. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I have to agree with the guys, pay yourself (save, invest, establish yourself and buy your own home) and pay your bills first. You can always buy a car. They're fun BUT...they're a liability, not an asset or an investment. They are not going anywhere and no matter how rare, there is always a Ferrari for sale.

I agree with normhuff and add that with most life-altering events, (marriage, kids, first house, etc) your enjoyment is proportional to the extent which you are prepared. That wonderful Ferrari (or substitue other coveted object) you just "had to have" quickly becomes your worst nightmare if you're not prepared to maintain it.

Likewise, if you have the means, buy the Ferrari you can actually AFFORD to enjoy (not just keep up the payments on) without worrying about it and learn to work on it yourself as much as you can. I guarantee you will have the absolute best time of your life. Start with a 308, 328, etc. That way you can have fun wrenching and driving your car instead of worrying. Besides, you can always trade up when finances allow.

Best of luck.
    Shan

14. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ
    I agree 100 % too
    Amen!!

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    couldnt you get a very nice 308 or even a less nice 328 for the price of an SL, even a 96? I think that other than the huge production numbers, that is one of the classic fcars, and the 355, at least for the V8 line.

16. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Uh, I don't think he wants a Ferrari that gets outgunned by SUVs, LOL! F%#@! the ancient 308 and the slower-than-an-old-C4-vette 328.

Stick to your guns, save up for the 355, and buy it after you own a home and have no other consumer debt. 355s are cheap as hell, my buddy just sold his 355B (not a show car by any means, but a runner for sure) for $75k. By the time you get your **** together, the 355 will be in the low $60s.

You can do it, be disciplined.

17. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Mako: I'm getting pretty sick and tired of you bashing 308's & 328's. If you don't have anything good to say, shut the **** up. As I've asked you before (w/ no response), what model do you have? If you don't have anything positive to contribute, get the **** out of here.

18. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    LOL, awww poor baby got mad! What's the matter, can't afford a Ferrari that's actually competitive with any sports car made in the 90s? How does it feel when a Honda Odyssey passes your car, IN A TURN?

Too bad for you.

I cancelled my Stradale order yesterday, too close to call between it and the Gallardo. Both are overpriced versus what they'll be worth in less than a year (-35% for both). I'm a sucker for Italian sports cars, so I may still pull the trigger. Well, I should be clear, I'm a sucker for Italian sports cars that have more HP than a Civic, so that would leave the 308 out. Sorry, my bad. :)

19. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    What model Ferrari do YOU HAVE? Or are you just another wannabe, could-be, someday-maybe? (no offense intended to the other non-owners that are true ferraristi) I still get pointed at, looked at, smiled at, had a guy poke a camera out of his pick-up a few weeks ago and took a picture of, thumbs-up flashed at (among other things I won't post in this family forum) have innumerable YOUNG 18-22 year old women ogle at, and have had more people than I could count say to me "is that brand new?" to my "slower than an old C4 vette 328"

I have owned 3 C4 Corvettes including an LT4 with the ZF 6 speed and although it was brutally fast, I NEVER EVER got ONE SINGLE look because just like all American cars, save the Viper, they are a dime-a -dozen, and there are 7 billion of them on the road, NOTHING SPECIAL !!! I pulled up to a guy the other day in a '04 Z06 vette and he had his HOT woman in the front seat and she could not take her eyes off my car as we sat at the redlight !! I guarrantee you she was thinking about MY CAR that night !! When you become Michael Schumacher THEN AND ONLY THEN can you start talking about the performance inadequacies of a particular Ferrari model. You sound like Allan Lambo. I will bet you $1000 I get more attention in my "slower than an old C4 vette 328" than an NSX. I was out with a friend of mine last year who owns a 1992 512TR and there were more people coming up to stare at my car then his, and a couple from Brazil asked to take a picture of them sitting in MY car, NOT his !!

I too am sick of all the 328 bashing, there is a reason why Ferrari was able to sell so many and continued the design for so long: because it is one of the most BEAUTIFUL, SEXY, SENSUOUS designs ever to come out of the house of Pinninfarina !! I was at Lamborghini of Atlanta 2 weeks ago and a very well-heeled friend of mine told me, as many have before him and many will after him, that he believes the 328 is "the most georgeous, sexy design, the best looking car Ferrari has ever made" and that is a quote.

Mako: I'm getting pretty sick and tired of you bashing 308's & 328's. If you don't have anything good to say, shut the **** up. As I've asked you before (w/ no response), what model do you have? If you don't have anything positive to contribute, get the **** out of here.

I concur wholeheartedly !!!

20. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas

How much for the brunette?

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    What a ****in prick you are !! Oh, by the way, I cancelled my order for a Stradale also but I was in a bad cell and the dealer could not understand what I was saying on the phone so I had to bo buy a GulfStream IV to fly to the dealer to tell him in person, but I could not land on the street so I had to buy the town to get flyover rights. Get over yourself !! You and Allan Lambo should become lovers.

22. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    If there's something I can't stand, it's all those smart-ass teenage wannabes' always trying to goad me into a drag race every time I take the Odyssey out...

Seriously though. It seems we need to have this discussion again for the sake of the FChat Class of '04. Mako, it goes a little something like this:

Just because someone has a certain model Ferrari doesn't mean that's all he/she could afford. As seems to be the case with Cyrus, there's an initial passion for the marque, which usually pertains to a specific model. In my case, it was the 3X8 body style that I first fell in love with as a kid. Is a 355 faster? You bet! Do I like it as much? Not quite. Could I have afforded a 360? Yup. Does the 360 evoke the same emotions in me as the 328? It's beautiful, but no. So, I hope you see that it's not always about speed. That's a teenagers mentality, and that's why my neighborhood is full of rusting Civics with modded engines, fart cans, lo-pro wheels, no-idea-what-the-hell-they're-for rear wings and Chinese stickers I'm willing to bet 90% of the kids don't even know the meaning of. What MTV, ESPN and video games have stripped this generation of is the appreciation of aesthetics, beauty, sensuality and passion. I didn't buy my 328 so that I could drive around town racing other cars and being looked at. And I didn't buy it because of what I thought it would be worth in a year. I bought it because it was something I had always wanted, and the enjoyment I get out of driving it today is no less than the day it arrived.

If in fact you're in the market for a Stradale, I wish you luck. Experience, however, inclines me to call "bulls**t" on you.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Actually, the stickers are in Japanese and the rough translation on most of them is "middle class white kid". I spent last week in Tokyo and only saw one modded Asian car, driven by, you guessed it, a Westerner. Mind you, I saw more AMG MB's and 4 Ruf's in one day. Good place to spot decent rides.

24. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    And again the typical 308 owning "I drive a $hitbomb and feel persecuted for it" crowd weighs in with such intelligent replies. LOL!

Well let me cut it to the bare basics for all of you clowns, so that you're all 100% sure of where I stand, and what I think of your cars:

I would choose a FIERO over a 308 in a HEARTBEAT. And that is no joke. I would call a damn 1986 MR2 a sportscar before I'd call a 308 a sportscar, and if you don't like it, you can eat my a$$ twice with an ice cream scoop. :)

You've got your opinions, I've got mine. You can express yours at will, and you can be damn sure I'll be expressing mine. Don't like it? Put me on ignore. Otherwise deal with it and shut the F up.

You girls are more sensitive than NSX owners, who similarly have a chip on their shoulder with something to prove whenever a conversation about that car having "soul" or not, or being a true "exotic" or not comes up.

I think Ferrari is a great marque, and the Stradale is a phenomenal car. No other F-car new, or used, drives as well as it does, and that's why people are inclined to write that big check on delivery day as I will be in if all goes well and I'm not tempted by my Gallardo test drive next week (much better looking than the Stradale btw, especially in person).

Anyway, I think we're clear now. Go forth and be merry, and look forward to many posts of me speaking my mind about all things Ferrari, and sports car related in the future. Otherwise click the painless ignore button and be done with me like the little crying girls you 308 owners are. :)

25. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    tifosi69, judge4re,!!! you guys are killing me LMAO. i concur, i will be quite happy with a 308 something, or a 400 series. if i wanted to go fast i would buy a sportbike and be a new organ donor. i too think the 3x8's are a great looking ferrari. i dont care how fast mako99's honda is, at least he is considering a fcar or lambo, be sure to post vin and pics so we believe you. i have a 1970 Z28, 4 speed that will blow the doors off most 4 wheeled cars in a 0 to 100 race,,,,,, big deal. if it had a 307 base motor in it it would still be a beautiful car, just like the 3x8s ....... a s far as the rest of the thread, i say go for the 355 and live a little. you may leave home one day and never come home. life is cheap and way too short.