308 cam & distributor seals | FerrariChat

308 cam & distributor seals

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ria, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i can get the cam and distributor seals from a seal and bearing distr in town this seals do not have the groves in them for the oil like the oem and are way down in price i can get them in viton allso. can anybody care to comet on this if i can use them or not thanks.

2. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Ria, I am going to use double lip smooth seals on the camshafts to see how they hold up.
    I have the engine out of the car right now and performing a major service. Since I still have to pass emission 1 more time, I am putting everything back as it was originally but I plan to take the engine out in a couple of years so I hope the seals will last, at least, that long and, if not, I will live with a leak until then.
    Also, reading up on this forum, it seems that several people have leaks even with the correct, brand new seals.
    One thing is for sure: they will work better than the plastic-hard ones I removed.
    Usual disclaimer: I am NOT a mechanic nor an engineer and I never worked on a car before.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  4. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I agree to use Viton but I think that Ria was more concerned with the groves v. smooth design.
    Since I am using a smooth lip seal also, I would like to know if anyone has done this before.

5. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i will go with the viton seals the ones i got from superformance UK all the cam seals i got from them the ruber is red . mike from superformance told me this are viton seals i hope!!!

6. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    the seals i got from superformance UK do not have the groves in them i sure hope superformance sent me the right ones ?

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If the over-all lip design is the same, & they're the right size, then it's highly unlikely that you've got the wrong part. I've seen a lot of cam & other shaft seals, & the only ones that were directional were the grooved ones used on the 308.

If you're still worried, send eMAIL to Mike at Superformance. I think you'll be told that their parts work as well as the grooved ones.

I've always wondered what the grooves are supposed to do. I've never been able to find any reference to grooves seal vendor catalogs. My best guess is that the grooves are intended to encourage any oil inside the sealing area to flow towards the center of the seal. However, I've seen a lot of shaft seals that work just fine w/o grooves.

8. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    verell i will put the seals on that i got from mike at superformance and i hope thay last as long as the OEM ones . the seal that is for the air pump pully mike sent me the wrong one i call mike on it and mike call ferrari UK call me back ferrari UK told mike it is the correct seal i finaly call mike back and give him the no from the old seal then hi sent me the correct one that is why i worry.

9. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i want to thank all of you for the info on this.

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Can anyone post mfr p/ns for the parts that interchange? I'm waiting for my car to arrive and I think it needs distributor seal replacement. Or these O-rings I hear about.

Anyone got any numbers to post for the community benefit?