Ferraris and babies | FerrariChat

Ferraris and babies

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Riv, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Riv

Riv Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Poconos, Pa
    I would like to ask the "dads" with little girls a quick question. I have been on f chat for almost 2 yrs but I do not post a lot. I learn as much as I can and identify with many here. My concern here is I my wife and I are expecting our first baby in a few weeks and it will be a girl. I tend to spoil my wife and she tends to let me spoil myself and has allowed me to trade up from my 82 308 to a 94 348 in just over one year of owning the first (this knowing a baby is on the way). She is very good to me. What happens when the smaller version of my wife comes along? Have you dads with little girls caved in to the little ones need/want to be spoiled, you know, that little pout that girls do to to get what they want? I say I will be tough but even my 4 yr old niece has me wrapped around her finger sometimes (when shes being good). I joke with friends that having a little girl will make me broke...how true may this be? I look forward to the new journey and would gladly welcome any feedback with regard to baby girls and ferraris.:)

Riv

2. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Congratulations on your upcoming "bundle of joy" I have two daughters, both teenagers, and can say without hesitation that the infant/ little girl years are infinitely less expensive that the teenage years.

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #3 Dom, Feb 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First of all, congratulations. You are a lucky guy.

In response to your question, the answer is YES. My little girl has me totally wrapper around her finger. Right after she was born, my dad took one look at her and said "That face is going to dupe you out of a lot of money". And it is sooo true. She's three now, and when she looks at me and asks me sweetly for something, I just give in.

Also, girls in general are just so sweet, that you tend to spoil them. So if we are in the store, and I see something, even if she doesn't ask for it, I'm like, ooooh, that would be great for her. Especially if it is car related. So, my daugher has ferrari shirts, hats, tons of hotwheel cars, etc. Between my daugher and my car, I am really going broke.

I've posted this photo of her before, but it is one of my favorites, taken about a year ago when I bought my 308 GT4.

Dom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My little girl calls the Fcar "The Money Pit"

I don't think I can run fast enough to GIVE her the keys to a Ferrari!

You may have to trade again, for a 456GT

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    OMG, Dom!

Nika's even got her doing promo for her site already.

Amanda likes "Racegirl"

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My 2 1/2 years old girl owns all my three cars, Ferrari, Porsche, and BMW. She climbs in, plays in them, turns things on and off, leave fingerprints all over the cars, stick the keys in the right places, climb in and out of the back seats, and push the garage door opener.

It still is the safest place for her in the garage while Dad is working on his cars.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ........As opposed to walking thru a Florida car wash.

8. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    welcome any feedback with regard to baby girls and ferraris.:)

I agree with the other comments that they are more expensive when they are older (but not necessarily any easier to say, "No" to). I estimate that, when my beloved daughter purchased her own home 1-2 years ago, and I stopped paying the bills, that I have about $10,000 in after tax money left each year. That included clothes, misc., car, tires, gas, spending money and, of course, her horse (that she road in shows all over the place).

She thought the Ferrari was awesome but never wanted to drive it -- said that it made her nervous to even think about driving it. Now, her brother was a different story. She gets her MBA this Spring so maybe she can get her Dad an f-car now.

Congrats and good luck!

Riv[/QUOTE]

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Congrats!!!

Little girls are the way best, and they will always be your little girl.

My 11 yo has grown up riding in the back of the Mondial 3.2 since she was three through assignments in Germany and America. We've been to the Nurburgring together. She is the only Formula One and Micheal Schumacher fan in 6th grade room full of "dumb" NASCAR boys.

She absolutely refuses to let me consider selling the Ferrari when I talk about it.

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #10 writerguy, Feb 6, 2004
  11. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    You trained her well and it shows. Her priorities are in order.

12. Riv

Riv Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Poconos, Pa
    Dom, addorable picture I hope to have some of the same soon.
    Thank you all, it's good to see my early feelings are in check. This will all be very new to me. I envision my little girl attending Ferrari meets with me and going on rides to the ice cream stand on saturday mornings. I guess it will be like having 3 women in the family because we all know the Red one in the garage costs money just like the other two. I will keep you all posted.

I also look forward to meeting some of you regionally at some of the Penn/ NJ events this season.

Riv

13. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Girls are absolutely wonderful! I have a 2year old and a 4year old and they are the light of my life. I won't get my first Ferrari for a few months now so I cannot relate to ownership vs. small girls. Whenever possible I bring both my girls to Ferrari events. They really enjoy it.

This last October my 4 year old came in second in her first pine wood derby. We made a 1952 Ferrari 375F1 (of course it was painted pink and blue - Barbie colors) and we only lost one race. This was also my first Pine wood and we had a great time.

This year we will be building 2 derby cars and we cannot wait.

14. kenjulco

kenjulco Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I have 2 daughters,8 and 10 living with me.I also have a 355 spyder and a toyota camy.I guess thats states the obvious.
    What is interesting, is that the 10 year old loves the speed and attention that she get driving in the F-car.[She also went on all the roller-coaster rides at Magic Mountain.]Good luck with your daughter especially in her teenage years.

15. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Congratulations. The theory is that daughters tend to be closer to the dads than sons.
    I have a set, so we will see how it goes. You might want to trade up to a Ferrari where you can include the kids in the hobby (4 seater).
    Here is proof that Ferraris and little girls get along.

16. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    I can't relate to Ferrari ownership and little girls since I don't have my Ferrari yet... but I do have two wonderful little girls! My wife and I were blessed with twins a little over four years ago. They are fraternal twins (not identical) so I need to treat them as the individuals they are even though they are the exact same age and stage of development.

Fortunately, both of them love cars, convertibles, and Ferraris -- just like their dear ol' dad. My wife still has the viewpoint that automobiles are a box with four wheels to go from point A to point B. I think she believes that I'm warping the girls! :)

The four of us went to the Portland Auto Show tonight and the kids had a ton of fun looking at all of the cars there. All the way home, they took turns telling me which of the cars they saw that was the favorite. They each had about 6 or 7 "favorites"! The Enzo was on the top of each of their lists!

Money wise - I want to give our girls the good life. I end up buying more than I should and then I end up buying two of everything. I think I spoil them to a degree. My wife and I said that we're only having two kids so this is it for us. I don't think that either of my girls really has a pout, per se. They just tell me that "toy X would be the BEST toy EVER to have DADDY!!!!" It's the eyes. That's what gets me. Anyway, back to Ferraris -- that is why I've been looking at the Mondial cabrio for so long. I'm not ready to jump into ownership yet but that'll be the one we get. Four seats, a drop top, and a Ferrari to boot -- can't beat it.

Cheers Riv. And congratulations!

Mike

17. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>Little girls are the way best, and they will always be your little girl.

That's my hope, as well. I have a 15 month old son, and the wife is due for a c section 6/21 - a girl. :)

But the wife did have a pertinent question: How do we go out in the TR with the baby?
    My answer: You don't. :)

18. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #18 BigHead, Feb 7, 2004
  19. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #19 BigHead, Feb 7, 2004
  20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Very pretty girl who looks very at home with the trappings of wealth. Much like my little girl....
    :)

21. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    The boy LOVES riding in the 328... he likes to be right next to mom or dad and see all around him and the guages, and the gear shifter, etc.

But we have to ride to events in two cars or not take the ferrari at all... hence why i'm selling the 328 to step up to a 456 (step up = 2 more seats).

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Congrats on the new one !! Hope all goes well with your loved one and her deliver.
    To sum it up, its very simple. When my Daugther and Ferrari both whine, I have to cave. Both very similar, both have a very special part of my heart. They both cost...if i ever run out of money, my solution is very simple. I'll get rid of the wife !!

23. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    That would cost more than the daughter, car, house, etc. all put together. It would be easier to just sell your kidney. ;-)

If I ever have a daughter I'll be in so much trouble because I already spoil the boy.

-dq

24. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

25. Riv

Riv Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Poconos, Pa
    I can see its going to be an expensive year. I don't think however that I will move to a four seater though. A fortunate point in my relationship with the wife is that she truely loves the 348 and helped decide between that and the TR.
    Cabrio-- Twins? How do you do it? We had the possibility since their are 2 sets on my mothers side. It's good to hear they are car fans and especially of F-cars.
    Gabriel -- Spoiled son... well from what I'm hearing you and I are in for it with little girls on the way. Best of luck.
    Dennis-- that pic is very cute she seems mezmarized, must be the car. I haven't even sat in an f40 yet so I envy her.
    Dave-- I already have the "event" plan. The wife drives the SUV with the 3 tons of baby equipment and I still get to enjoy the ride in the 2 seater. She does not mind that we will not always be able to go to the events in one car but is happy we will all be together for the day. We are fortunate though to have both sets of parents very near by to babysit. My parents will be first time grandparents and are very happy.

Riv