Business Idea Need input | FerrariChat

Business Idea Need input

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Brianjonesphoto, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    I need some input from you car owners. As you can see by my screen name I'm a photographer based in Seattle. I have an idea i would like to run past you guys.

I'm currently at a crossroads in my career. I've been working for other photographers for the past 4 years. I've learned a lot and am getting to the point I want to scretch my wings.

Ultimately I would like to work in the automotive sector of photography. I've worked on several motorcycle and cars shoots in the last few years. Including some jobs for Cavilino magizine, and Pizano Publications (the parent company for about 5 v-twin bike mags) as well as the cover shot Project Gotham Racing 2. Spending the day shooting the Enzo was one of the best days of my life.

I'm thinking about marketing custom car photos to local Ferrai, Maserati and Alfa owners. What would you be willing to pay for shots of your car? The shots would be in senic location, with you could be in some shots with the car and some with out. I would invest about 4 hours of my time to shoot the car.

As part of the deal I would include 1, 5x7 print of each different shot(most likely 3-5 shots), 1 8x10 of your choosing and a CD with low res jpegs for desktops and web use.

Does this sound like it would be worth spending $200-$500 to have
    done?

Thanks guys

2. Brianjonesphoto

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    Heres some photos I took during the Enzo shoot.

3. Brianjonesphoto

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
  4. Brianjonesphoto

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
  5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Brian,

If you are also good with photoshop, you can do something like the photo that is in my profile. I saw someone doing this at a car show once, and they were charging something like $200 for the portrait (I forget the details like size of portrait, etc). I did this one myself, took me hours of labor...

Dom

6. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Brian, nice photos! FYI: I would pay $200-$300 tops.

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I think you $200 is a decent price. $500 is pricey...but you could perhaps offer more...say the photoshop compositions.

I don't know if it would be enough to earn a living on...make some cards up and hand them out at some car meets and see what kind of response you get.

8. Soarer

Soarer Rookie

Jan 13, 2004
    Do you have access to a studio for shooting?

9. Brianjonesphoto

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    Yes I do, but that adds quite a bit of expense to the shoot. A studio large enough to shoot a car in will run $500-$1000 a day just for the studio space.

10. Brianjonesphoto

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    Thanks for all the feed back and please keep it coming. Just to respond to some of the comments.

I'm not thinking of doing this as a full time gig. There are way to few cars and customers around to do that. I will keep doing the work I have been as well as this stuff. Baically I'm Looking to build a automotive portfolio and deferr the costs of doing so to the customers, by selling the service/images.

This is something that is done in the industry all of the time. Mostly for new models, they exchange there modeling services for low cost, high quality images. This is the idea behind what I want to do. And if I can make some extra cash on top of it great, but my goal is to come out of the deal even.

As for and fees go I was thinking something in the range of $250-$300. I have also thought of other ways of outputting the files such as calenders, larger format prints, collage like Dom. I will also go to club track days and shoot cars as well. Either to sell the prints or sell a disc of images, and let people make there own prints (which might be the easiest thing to do)

What would you guys be willing to spend on a CD with 10-15 images of you on the track in different locations? $25? $40? $50?

I plan on marketing this service mainly in club newsletters, track events, and website. As well as going to some car show to make connections.

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    The track days may be a good idea. I remember photographers selling shots at SCCA events, but other than Andreas, nothing from track days.

12. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Ideas:

1) Apply to be the official photographer for auto show events. Find out from the event managers who makes the decisions on this hire. Just outbid all of them.

2) Get with the exotic dealers all over the US. Draft extremely nice brocures of your work and services. Ask the dealers that upon a sell, they will include your brocure with the dealer paperwork. The brocure will let the new owner know that you will do commissioned photos (Photos by request) of their new car. Give the dealer 10 or 15% of the total price.

3) Freelance to all auto manufacturers to be their photographer for new introductions. Let them fly you around the world to take the pics. Be their official new car photographer on a retainer.

4) Find a VERY busy photographer in your field of interest. Get your work in front of him or her and propose the idea to partner with his or her company for a 50/50 profit split. This will allow them to expand their business.

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The Enzo steering wheel shot is gorgeous. I'm sorry - I don't have any advice, but I want to wish you luck.

14. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There is a photographer named Bob Chapman, I think he lives in GA. His board name is BobC. They logging in overther and see if you can find him. He may be able to give you some advice. Here is a link to some of his photos that are for sale.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/photos.html

Good luck.

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I know Jack Puryear (http://www.jackpuryear.com/) and he does this professionally for his income. He sets up cameras, like other guys do, all along the track and prints 8x10's up for people and up to 65 bucks for a cd with all the photos around the track of your car (name & number). It does get quite busy, and can be profitable. But you might want to inquire with Jack and see if he can guide you in your neck of the woods.

As far as the 2-500 shoot of a personal car, that would be for collectors as I can see it. And for the photoshop jobs - eh... would look too much like a poster IMO.

16. Soarer

Soarer Rookie

Jan 13, 2004
    - Will the (paid) car owner have sole rights to the photos?

So many questions because I know a model in Seattle and I've picked up a few questions that should be asked.......

great idea BTW, if I didnt mention it previously :)

17. Brianjonesphoto

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    you've got PM :)