348 turned into F355 | FerrariChat

348 turned into F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by cy0811, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cy0811

cy0811 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    I was in Hermosa Beach, CA on Pier st. and Hermosa Ave. and saw a very very strange thing parked along side the curb. From the front it was a red 355 and from the rear a 348 (full 348 grill and bumper not to mention 1990 style rims); the side venting and doors were 355. I looked under the car and into the car(the targa top was off) and can almost 100% verify the engine and interior as 348. The interior also said "348" on the dash. But why didn't the owner put the 355 type rear grill which would make this mutilation complete?? I waited an hour, got a bite to eat, got starbucks. Still no show. The car was in terrible condition, the paint was faded, some emblems were missing, etc. I know what your saying, "It was a fiero replica". No way. I'm positive it was a junky or salvage 348 w/ stock or replica 355 parts some how fitted on to it. I've actually seen quite a few stretched chasis 355 replicas and they couldn't hold a candle to this faded paint, half and half, Mengela styled exotic. The body lines, glass, and stance were Ferrari, they just didn't match.
    Just thought you might want to know,
    Cy

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    All of the body panels you mentioned are interchangeable between the two models. I've seen a couple of challenge cars (with considerable road rash) that have had the change made.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That car belongs to an F chatter. Maybe he'll chime in. I haven't seen him post that often since the software change but if he sees this he will.

4. adlinyusman

adlinyusman Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    how interchangeble is it? Can the engine cover be swapped as well because i doubt it.

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Yes he is on this board. First name starts with the letter N. Don't want to reveal the owners identity but he'll chime in I am sure. It's one of the best 348 to 355 conversions I have ever seen.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

6. cy0811

cy0811 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    Sorry if I sounded negative,I was afraid that everyone in this forum would be conservative on this subject; that's why I may have added that it was in "terrible" condition and may be a "salvage"(Most ferraris are in supreme condition as this one, while in the middle of a transformation, will probably soon be). In my mind, this was and is a *****ing vehicle and a cool tranformation... Is the wheelbase and decklid the same?...also is he fixing the rear soon? I would love to find out more and am happy everyone isn't die-hard conservative like the benz and jag forums I'm in. Even though changing a 500 to 600 or xk8 to xkR is nothing like this. I love the idea of altering a vehicle for the sake of exterior beauty. Some people use spinners, others upgrade a very expensine and beautiful automobile. Very tasteful in my book, and the car was getting attention left and right.
    Cy

7. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #7 FLATOUTRACING, Feb 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I guess I should have read your post more thouroghly. The car I am thinking of is in mint condition and doesn't fit your description at all.

Like I said, if done right, it can look stunning.

Regards,

Jon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. cy0811

cy0811 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    You're right FLATOUT, it isn't the same car, but the one I saw could have a lot of potential. The paint wasn't extremely bad, yet wasn't usual Ferrari quality whatsoever. The fact that it was sitting in an area where everyone flaunts their rides was just killing me to find out why he was driving it half finished. Most people just thought it was a red Ferrari, but to me it stuck out like a sore thumb. Nice Pics of that transformation though.
    Cy

9. Soarer

Soarer Rookie

Jan 13, 2004
    .....and here I am about to sell a kidney on Ebay to upgrade to a 355