348 engine in a 308 | FerrariChat

348 engine in a 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Leif, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Leif

Leif Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Leif Arne Olsen
    Hei!
    I have a opportunity to buy a Ferrari 348 engine for a reasonable price, and are thinking about buying this and mount it in a 308 1983 QV.
    Anybody have any experience with this, is it possible? How much work is it?

Brgds
    Leif

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The basic engine block is very similar with regard to mounting it to the 308 gearbox.

Plumbing for the dry sump system would need consideration, or wet sump it like the 308?

Better off building a "special", using the whole 348 subframe engine and gearbox built into a replica sports Ferrari/kit car of your choice.

A 250LM replica would be a good choice........and when you add up the depreciation to your 308 and the cost to convert it, you could probably build the special for the same overall cost, and still keep your nice original 308QV

3. Leif

Leif Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Leif Arne Olsen
    Hei!
    My idea was to replace the intaier engine and gearbox from the 348 to 308.
    I live in Norway here we got some problem to get a replica car approved, sow this is not an alternative for me.
    The reason I was thinking about this was to get a car with more HP.

Brgds
    Leif

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I considered this as well at one point but from pictures it looks like the front of the 348 block bumps out wider and would not fit the gearbox without alot of fabrication.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The though I had was to put the 348 engine (I was think TR actually)and maybe subframe and use GTO rear body work. The other option would be to just move the wheel wells back a few inches. A lot of work though. At the time I knew the location of a burned out '78 coupe and gave it some serious though.

The conclusion I came too is that a 348 (or TR) hp is pretty easy to achieve from a 308/328 engine that do fit. The 348 is only 300 hp, so convert the QV to EFI or carb ($3k-$4k), change the cams ($2k), and afree flowing exhaust ($2k-$3k)and you'll hit 300. Pistons ($2K) to increase the compression ratio would be a nice touch too and would let you use bigger cams and get you closer to 320 or so. It's a $6k-$10k project at a fraction of the labor of the engine swap and still meets all you goals.

If you want to put icing on top, add a turbo or blower and your looking at 300-600hp in the $10k-$25k price range depending how far you go. I put a roots blower on mine a few years ago and on the dyno it made 304 rwhp at 10psi. I just removed it and replaced it with a screw type blower and an intercooler. It now runs 22 psi and I think it's clearing 600 hp, but I have not gotten all the bugs completely worked out to take it to the dyno. I can tell you that with the car rolling along, pushing the throttle to the floor in 1st or 2nd gear spins the tires..an I have 285/35-18s on it. It's fast.

Her's a few threads I posted when building the new one. if you search both these achieves and the old archieves, there are good discussions about naturally aspirated engines builds, turbos, and superchargers
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/315437.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/324659.html
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4309&highlight=tilton

6. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Last time I was at Italian Design & Racing (www.italianauto.com) in Phoenix, they had 288 GTO rebody that used a 348 motor fitted to a Porsche 930 transaxle. The original 308 frame was not stretched, but still accomodated the longitudal mount of the engine and transaxle.

If you give them a call, they should be able to explain how they were able to accomplish the transplant.

7. Leif

Leif Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Leif Arne Olsen
    I will do that.
    Tank you for the help!

Leif