My suggestion for F. Chat - A $ Discussion Section | FerrariChat

My suggestion for F. Chat - A $ Discussion Section

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by docapl, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should $ discussions be in a separate forum section

1. Yes, the financial debates are useless and irritating in the General Forum

2. No, I like to constantly be reminded that my F car is depreciating

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Although I dont post that much, I do enjoy reading the board. Unfortunately, I have noticed an increasing amount of space in the General Forum being clogged up with discussions about Ferrari / (and Lambo) wholesale and retail prices. Ex. "What is this 360 worth ? " Since this has almost nothing to do with the enjoyment and driving experience of Ferrari, is it possible that a special section could be created as a forum for these financial debates and discussions ?

Just my 2 cents...

2. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Actually, it would be extremely useful to have a section where members can share how much they paid for what car. This would create some kind of unique ferrari (and lambo if needed) market index.

AW

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Agree with this 100%.

Thanks.

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Agreed. Maybe an Allen discussion forum too, so he won't be left out :p
    Leave out the Lambos, they can start their own board. NoracingheritageChat.com? TractorsfridgescarsChat.com? We'dbuyporschesbutthey'retoocommonChat.com?
    Just trying to help ;)

5. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I like your idea for an index of transaction prices.

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    If you spread the topics too much you will find les and less people corresponding in the main forum.

I see myself now always looking inot Florida first ebfore I check General. rarely check off-topic.

You have a choice, don't read the post if you don't want to get into the discussion on that subject.

my 2c

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yep, add a section for price talk. That way you can find it all in one place, and maybe unclutter general topic area.

Also, subscribe to FML http://www.ferrarimarketletter.com he's got a monthly asking price index based on his classifieds that is helpful.

Doesn't Cavellino have a section listing prices?

If we're gonna have a section on what we paid/what it's worth, we'll need enough info to judge value. Year, color, mileage, general condition, # of prior owners, etc. Lots of factors in pricing.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Just be prepared for any simple discussion/list to be turned into flamewars by the pathetic "Mondial-sucks 308-LOL!LOL! 360-compared-to-Murcountardos" divide and conquer Ferrari(c)hat(t)ers anyway.

Actual Retail Value: 2¢

9. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I agree. Frankly, after having a Lusso for thirty years, I was ignorant of the newer f-car market. This would also be great for the younger or first-time buyer market who could use the help.

10. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel

I agree with Martin,
    I always go first to Europe and after that sneek a little at GFD. I do not read other topics, costs way to much time to read everything.
    Just my 2 eurocents

Roel
    www.dinogt4register.com

11. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    While it seems to make sense to isolate such a topic as economics, I wonder where we would draw the line. Following this logic, we could end up with dozens of finely sliced categories. For me, as a recent subscriber, I like the variety and just skip over what doesn't seem to be of interest.

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,but no matter what anyone else says. A car is worth what it's worth to the owner.(or prospective buyer) Did you watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions on Speed? There were guys,(Some people call them the "More money than brains" crowd...) But,they were HAPPILY shelling out Several THOUSANDS of Dollars-Tens of Thousands of Dollars- for cars that weren't really "WORTH"-My opinion- Half of what they actually PAID for the cars. But...Whatever I think,doesn't mean a rats ass to those guys,. They WANT those cars,and will pay whatever they WANT to get them. "Worth"? Secondary. Purely in the eye of the beholder. Whether the car is New or Old. Look how many guys pay SEVERAL THOUSANDS of Dollars OVER sticker,just to be the First guy on the Block to have a new car model when it first comes out. (anyone know someone with a new T-Bird,PT Cruiser,etc...that they bought,just to be the First on the block? They're probably taking a beating if they go to try to sell it now. Wait until the new Mustangs and Vettes come out. There will be a "shortage" of them when you go to a dealer to try to buy one. "They're so Hot,there's a 2 year back-up on production. I can get you one,Pal,but it's going to cost you.....") Automakers actually RELY on that "Phenomena" to help boost sales of New models of cars. More money than brains? My opinion. Worth it? Their opinion. Then,you see posts from people,whether they own a Ferrari or not,saying "I'd never pay that much for that car. You can get a 360 Spider for $140K. Someone must be nuts to pay that much"-blah,blah,blah. Show me these $140K 360 Spiders. American Spec. Not "off" color combo's. Not rebuilt wrecks. Nice,new cars in good condition. As they say...Talk is cheap....The proof is in the pudding...

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think the value discussions should be banned altogether.

If they need to know what it's worth, call their loan officer.
    If the have cash, they KNOW what it's worth.

It's about as useless as the endless "This model or that model" BS.

It's especially meaningless as you don't know if they are looking at a mint condition vehicle, or a salvage title off the bottom of the ocean.

It also seems they are started by the 'ahem' junior members of our community.

Cavallino updates the market with every new issue. My .02