Anyone been to the(Chicago) Auto Show yet? | FerrariChat

Anyone been to the(Chicago) Auto Show yet?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Just wondering if anyone has been there,yet. What to look for. Having a Bad Back,I really can't walk the whole room anymore. (I believe that I saw a story once that it is the largest,single room in the World.-Country,maybe?) So,I usually get an Auto Show Map from the Sunday Trib.,and try to "Map out" points of Interest. I mean,unless there's something REALLY interesting at one of the "Regular" Car displays,I just pass them by.(Buick,Acura,Honda,Toyota,Trucks,Minivans,Suv's,etc...Not interested. Unless there's something Really cool to see there.) I definitely want to check out the Italian cars. Maybe Ford-New GT and Mustang. Chevy-C6 Corvette,and some of their other New cars. Pontiac,Jaguar,Mopar. But,if anyones seen anything else that really should be seen,special displays,really cool concept cars,etc... I would just appreciate it so that I can Map out my Auto Show map. Less walking,and just seeing the stuff I want to. I've been attending the Chicago Auto Show,religiously since 1970-(10 years old then) But,the old Bod just ain't what it used to be :( Thanks Much!!!!

2. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I went to the first look for charity... very cool. Always wanted to go, finally did, and it was great. Great food, booze, saw Cindy Lauper LIVE IN CONCERT! (you know your star has fallen when you play the Chicago Auto Show, but at least it was for Mercedes, not Kia).

It is obvious that Ferrari is not concerned about marketing their cars (with 2 year waits on some cars, why bother!?!?). They had the new 612 and a 575. Thats it.
    It was dominated by Masarati. You could climb in the new Quatroporte, into the convertable, etc. Very much focused on Masarati.
    Of course, the Lambos (2 Murcies, one Gallardo, new elise, last Esprit, new Rolls [UGLY]), were all roped off. New vette is very cool, lots of other stuff. Darn good show, well worth a look.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thank you,sir! I appreciate it! I too have also wanted to go to the 'First Look for Charity' night. But,this year,just not up to it. Maybe next year. The Chicago Automobile Trade Association Building is about a half mile or so West of my House. I'll make sure to check those out. I agree with the new Rolls Not looking good. I think that all it needs to look better,would be Round headlights. You look at the front. It looks all nice and Rolls Royce looking,then,there are those little,rectangular headlights. How about the new Bentley Continental GT. Was it there? Yes,I know that they are really pushing the new Maserati's. I think that they are Nice cars,in their own right. But,they just don't look "Exotic" enough,to me. A little too 'Common Looking". No 'Flair'. Subdued. Looks like a Bloated Jaquar XK8,or Aston Martin DB7. IMO. Nothing "New" or Exciting. Sure,I bet it's comfy and has more than adequete performance and all. But,It just doesn't reach out and grab me as an "Exotic Italian Sportscar". Perhaps a Sportscar for the Older Gentleman. To me,when you hear the name,Maserati,you expect to see something Low,Wide,Flat,and Pointy. Just me,I guess! I suppose that the new Quattroporte would look O.K. as a 4 seater,though. I have to see the Scaglietti. It looks great from the Rear,but,again,nothing new. But,I'm still not so sure about the Front. Have to see it in person. But,again,as a 4 seater. Very cool.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    LOL, very true. She is from Switzerland btw. Just pretends to be American or British, hehe.

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Got to sit in the 612,love this car!!
    What's interesting,it fits my frame(6'4" 220 lbs) much better then the Quattroporte.
    Seen the Conti GT last year,did not look special enough for me,cancelled my order.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Is it just me or is 'Quattroporte' and incredibly dopey name? I mean c'mon "4 doors"?! What is so special about that pls?

When the 308 was badged "Quattrovalvole" (4 valves), that made sense as it was new technology at the time.

Here is a suggestion for the next Maser model "Una rotella di direzione" (one steering wheel)...
    :)

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I think that when Ferrari finally comes up with a mid engined,12 cylinder replacement for the Testarossa/TR. They should call it "The Ferrari 'Tifosi' "... Actually,"The Tifosi 12" would be better. Not to glom your Fchat handle,Andreas. But,it would make perfect sense to me. And,it would need to be Very Exotic looking,and Fast,so that the Lambo guys,and the Ferrari bashers that infest FChat would shut the f*ck up. HeeHee!!! :)

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's an interesting idea. I read my screen name as "Tifosi won too" or as "Tifosi 1, 2" (as in a first and 2nd for MS and Rubens). Never thought of it as a reference to a 12 cylinder, but that makes sense. Well one day I'll have one...

9. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    The Continental GT is cool, but not 200K cool. Maybe I'd expect a lot for 200K.
    The Aston Martins are VERY cool (DB9). Problem being, from a practicle standpoint, is virtually NO front bumper. Tap the person in front of you while checking out the chick checking out your car, and looks like 20K worth of repair.
    The 612 just does not do it for me. I'll say, I prefer older cars anyways. It is BIG, with the front end appearing much bigger than, say, a vette.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    O.K.,Andreas, I didn't know that,but it makes more sense. I just assumed that there were more than 1 "Tifosi" on FChat,so,you added the "12" to differentiate. (12 Cylinder? Twelfth car ever owned?) But,I like the "One,Two" better.:)

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,Spike.Agree that the Bentley MAY be a little "Over priced" for what it is. But,haven't yet seen it "Live". But, I do like what I've seen of the New,'05-C6 'Vette. I've owned 7 Corvettes,and will always have a big spot for them,even though my Love of Ferrari seems to have surpassed.:) But,the new 'Vette looks nice...but,dangerously too close to a Viper's front end. Though,I've only seen photo's so far. Maybe in person,that will change. But,the performance of the 'Vette keeps getting better and better.

12. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, I am planning on going to the Auto show thursday night. I will try to get some pictures of this 612... My cousin's husban has a 2001 456 and he is thinking about getting rid of it because the warrenty is almost up, i may try to convince him to trade it in for a new 612... heee hee... ;)

Anyone else going thursday night??

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm going on Thursday late afternoon. The Ferraris are actually all I want to see, so this will be a short trip. But maybe we can hook up?

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I'll be going Thursday,but in the Morning when they open. It gets more and more crowded as the day wears on,and if you really want to get a good look at the cars,and a chance to sit in them. Earlier is better. Plus,I need to be back home by 4:00PM that day. So,I'll have to be prepared to leave no later than 3:00PM. Or,earlier if I'm done seeing everything. I can't do all that walking right now,with my Achin' back. Will have to bring my Trusty old cane as it is,wear comfortable shoes,pop a pain pill when I get there. :) Believe me,it doesn't take much for me to get hurting. :( And,I already know that after I'm done on Thursday,will be hurting the rest of the day,and Friday. Hopefully,my impending Surgery will alleviate that.:) ***BTW,there is an area with assorted vendors upstairs. They have Sunglasses,Various Wax and polish Products,Electronics,Stereos,Radar detectors,Food,Tires,Wheels,Model and scale cars for Sale,T-Shirts,Custom airbrushed,too. All sorts of stuff. Also A Race track,like the one that they had at the Michigan Av. end of the Oak St. event last June. I found a really nice,porecelain covered steel Ferrari Cavalino sign there a few years ago. $20.00. So,make sure that if you go,check out the Upstairs. Never know what you'll find. It's not super big,so it won't take too much time to check out.

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    "4 DOORS" in English sounds dopey,true.
    In Italiano though it sounds exotic(if you don't speak Italian that is.)

16. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I'm probably going to make rounds throughout the whole show, plus do the upstairs like Frank suggested. I'm going to try and get there sometime late afternoon myself.

Andreas, if you would like, i got some 1/2 off passes from Continental for the main addmission. When it gets closer to Thursday, i will know more exact when i will be able to get there, we can meet up at the enterance then?? Will keep you informed...

Tod

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for that. Once again the Masers ride a smart marketing wave.

When I was on MSU-TV even Bill interviewed me about the Quattroporte. I remained diplomatic though.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sounds good. I'll bring my cell phone along so we can do last minute adjustments. I'd also like to visit the FVM booth.

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,I'll have my cell with me. I'll PM you guys with my #. Call me when you get there. I should be there pretty much all day,well,until 3PM. If you get there sooner,call me up and I'll find you.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well maybe we can work something out just before 3pm?

Tod, since you're now such a good customer of Continental, maybe with your help we'll even get a chance to get into the stand? I'd love to actually open a door on that Scaglietti.
    :)

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,I was initially going to go Tomorrow,(Tuesday) Because my Maserati viewing invitation only goes to the 10th. And,I would have liked to have been able to check it out really well. I'm thinking that there are going to be alot of similarities with the 612....Seeing as we are getting 2 New Italian 4 seaters coming out at the same time....Hmmmmm......But,have a doctor appointment . So,will go on Thursday,but early,to beat the crowds. Besides,Thursday is always "Ladies Day" at the Auto show. Nothing wrong with seeing Bella Ladies with Bella Ferrari's,No? (Well,My wife just said,"No"...HeeHee...just kidding! She knows that I'm too crippled and in Love to go Skirt chasing! Our 4 year Wedding anniversary is the 14th.:))

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Check out Page #4 of Todays Sun-Times. There's an article about the "Accessories Show" upstairs at the Auto Show,(That I mentioned in an earlier post) And,how alot of people overlook it because they are unaware. It's usually got some pretty neat stuff,including that little Race Track.

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I am going to go Tomorrow,but,early when they open up,so as to avoid the crowds and be able to actually See,Inspect,and get into the cars that I want.

All too often,you get there,and have to wait in lines to see every car that you want to see.

I'm mapping out my route,from the map that I got in the Sunday Trib Automotive section, so that I can just get right over to the areas that I want to see.

Because,I definitely want to get upstairs and see the Accessories Show,too.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, we went and had a good time. Special thanks go to Frank for the free ticket, Mr. Mancuso Jr. from LFSC for letting us onto the Ferrari stand and a special hello to Mike Wogronic, whom I haven't had the pleasure of meeting before (those Lambos are cool!).

Here a few shots of the Scaglietti and it is true, what they say: You gotta see it in the metal to truly appreciate it. It is stunnigly beautiful inside and out. These pictures don't do it justice. This stallion has to be photographed in its natural habitat:

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Here a couple more: Frank in the background. And an old friend, the F1 democar from 2001 (in last year's livery):

PS: That's Lonny from Continental in the background of the first picture below talking to Frank. Bummer that the BBi sold, my friend won't like that news...