Would you share a 360 Spider for 25k | FerrariChat

Would you share a 360 Spider for 25k

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360CS, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    On ebay buy a share/stake in a nearly new 360 spider, get to drive it for 6 weeks a year for a 6k yr subscription.

Is this a good idea..or just bonkers??

joe

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    *Barges in from Californication/*
    Sure, as long as the 6 weeks were comprised of 42 Sundays aside from 10 weeks of Winter.
    */Barges in from Californication*

3. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    A grand a week is quite strong. Also what happens if the week before you're to get your ride thge car gets tanked? Who takes the hit for new clutch, tyres etc. It's not my idea of a good idea

4. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
  5. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I explored this idea as a business a few months ago -- general consensus that I got from people I talked to was that it wasn't a good idea.

Problems I see:

1. 6 weeks / person * 6 people = 36 weeks. What's the car doing the other 16 weeks of the year?

2. What happens when all six people want the car on the same week? (I.e. New Year's, beginning of summer, etc.)

3. Similar to above, what happens when member #2 flogs the car for a week, burns the clutch, and hands it to member #3? Who pays? How do you prove member #2 did the damage?

The general spirit of the idea is great -- fractional ownership works for houses, airplanes, and boats -- why not cars?

Because the whole point of a car is that you should be able to take it out whenever you want (i.e. when the weather is nice, when you've got a date, etc.), not have to plan months in advance.

Also, that's why exotic rentals work -- you call up the rental company and you get the car on-demand. Yes, you pay more / day, but that's what flexibility costs.

6. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Joe dont like the 500 mile per week bit would do that in a day in the summer,think i will keep the money and put it into a 308/328 later on,

Dale.

7. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Hi 360Spider I did start to read that that four pages of conditions ,what a recipe for disaster He does not say if he is joining in ! if so i expect he will July and August You can imagine the problems of who has it when its in for maintainance and repair which there will be plenty with that amount of owners Best out i reckon

RAY360m

8. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
  9. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    £25000 initial down payment, then £6000 a year for upkeep? Was it shared with 6 other people? that's 36k a year for upkeep? Does a 360 cost this amount of money to maintain?

If this guy get's any taker's I will be remortgaging tomorrow!!

10. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I wouldn't do it for all the reasons stated and the fact that I know two people that bought a 355 together. It was great in the beggining but "who gets it when" started creating friction .. naturally both wnated it on the few sunny days available. Anyway that friction was nothing compared to the friction caused when one of them totaled the car. The insurance paid out much less than than they had hoped and the other person started demanding money from the guy that trashed it. I don't know the end of the story but it was not too pleasant.

11. TRACKMIESTER

TRACKMIESTER Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    Looks like a very profitable deal for somebody!

12. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    To me it just sounds like someone has a reasonable idea that WILL go wrong.

Youd be better placed putting the 36;k as deposit..Finance the balance and take yr chances.

Just what I think

Be interesting to see if anyone goes for it

13. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Looks much easier to join P1 and use their 360 spider - no running costs and no £25k up front slug

14. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    who's p1 fella?

15. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    P1 would be Damon Hill's hot-car-share company. I wouldn't go near it, nor this decidedly dodgy deal.

You've a 355 in Morpeth?! You lucky, lucky get - some of the best roads anywhere, ever, within yards of your house. Just watch those horses, eh son?:D

16. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Castex,

When you say "I wouldn't go near it,... were you refering to
    Damon Hill's P1 because I know of at least one user of that service
    who is a regular poster on these pages and has had only positive
    things to say about it.

?????????????????

Wazza

17. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    Sorry Wazza, I should have made myself more clear.
    I've not had any dealings with P1. What I meant to say was that the idea appeals to me not in the slightest - a large part of the enjoyment of cars for me is the ability to go and sit in them/polish them/go for a spin any time I choose.
    I'm sure that P1 is a shining example of this sort of company; the fact it's run by Damon Hill augurs very well...It's just not for me.

18. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    Castex, the roads here are awesome!!!!! twisties with plenty of small pubs etc should you wish to stop, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many fchat members up this way. Never mind i'll keep the roads to myself. When have you been here?????????????